Thoughts on the way women's dress style is going.

So honestly like any other straight guy, women in nowadays clothing is attractive to me, but I must ask this don't you girls think it is getting out of hand? Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not here to tell any woman what they can and can't wear, but it just seems to get ridiculous more and more as time goes on. Shorts barely covering girl's butts and so forth and the list can go on.

I mean what really caused things to start going this way, why are parents letting even their 11 and 12 YO daughters doing this? I understand girls want to look and feel pretty but at what cost?

Do you think some just don't know what guys are thinking when they see this kind of style of clothing on girls?

Do you think the parents are being too lenient on the way they are letting their daughters dress?

Do you girls think its okay to dress this way, if so do you think there should be like an age where anything under that age it would be unacceptable to wear that?

Again I'm not trying to offend anyone, just gain some insight is all. If I do offend you though that's your own fault.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a problem when teenage girls dress like that. Yeah the manufacturers make short shorts, but parents don't have to buy then, they can buy Bermuda shorts instead. There are other options which are more modest. Young girls want to feel cool and attractive, but the parents who let them dressthat way are the ones who need to be beaten. I wonder if there is a difference between how girls with 2 parents in the home dress and girls with no father around dress. I can't see the average man being cool with his daughter in some of these outfits knowing how other men and boys think.

If you're over 18, then dress how you want. I like to look sexy.you're only young once and when I'm 55 I'll dress 55. When you're young and look cute you should show it off. I'm not ashamed. Guys are going to think sexually regardless. Its more about how you carry yourself and how you respond to certain things. I might dress sexy, but I am also very standoffish to unwanted attention and they know they won't get attention from me so guys rarely try me in a disrespectful way. I'm not one of the scared ass passive girls, so I really don't care what guys think as long as I like my outfit. I'm a grown ass woman.

• And that is your right as an adult, and your own free will.

What Girls Said 11

• I think it's definitely getting out of hand. I do wonder why on earth you would let your daughters dress like that. And I also wonder why the girls themselves want to dress like that. I don't understand how it's such a trend to dress in such a way. And it's pretty easy to get the wrong kind of attention (attention from older men, ew).

But I don't think it's entirely their fault. After all, why are popular high street stores selling such revealing/inappropriate clothes? They're the main culprits here. It's like they're encouraging girls to dress like that.

• omg I agree! I see clothes that make 7 year olds look like hoes. it bothers the hell out me of me the crap I see in stores.

• It worries me, because I wanna have a daughter someday but I'd be scared of how the rest of the world would influence her and that I might not be able to do anything about it. :/

• I hope the style changes.

• me too. I wish more men would comment on this

• I agree that girls under the legal age of consent shouldn't be dressing like jail bait. I never did and found it really trashy when my classmates would in middle school and high school. I still don't dress that way because I want to be treated with respect and like a class act, not some $5 hoe.

• Exactly I just think dressing that way sends the wrong message even if its unintentional.

• Thanks I try really hard

• I'm glad there are some women that do. :D

• i wear short shorts because it makes my legs look really good and longer.. but I make sure to never show too much leg WITH cleavage... there has to be a balance.but in all honesty, getting ready is the bet part of going out, and we dress in what we're gonna feel really pretty and sexy in. not what we think every single guy is gonna like or whatever (some girls do, just not most)

• Coming from a small town in Canada, I was used to seeing young girls dress like young girls... Then I moved to Germany and the preteens here dress extremely revealing. A few nights ago, I saw a young girl who couldn't have been older than 13 wearing a white mini (MINI) skirt and a black lace tank top with a bright red bra underneath... and nothing else. It blew my mind at how often I see girls under 16 dressing like that here, I just don't understand...

• I am not going to lie I like the attention. If I look good when I'm going out I feel good. There is nothing wrong with a bit of stares from guys it just means they like what they see right?

• well true but you may attract unwanted attention and may even put out the wrong message to some guys.

But your a grown up you can do what you like, I'm not here to tell you to do one thing or another. Only make a suggestion.

Also guys don't think the same way girls do...just keep that in mind.

• Being a teenager and going to a school full of them I can say that it's teenaged girls who are looking for attention and are obsessed with boys who dress like this. Girls as young as 11, 12 have already started dating... DATING and have started dressing in a way too sexual for their age, just to get the attention from boys.

I live in England where most schools have a uniform. The schools rules are if you're wearing a skirt, it HAS to touch your knee. I wear trousers to school because I'm 5"10 and it's so hard to find skirts long enough for me. But the girls at school literally wear skirts that reach just under their butt!!

Every term (semester) we have a non uniform day, where we can wear whatever we want. The amount of girls that came into school in short shorts and crop tops was awful. There were more girls in shorts and skirts than there were girls in jeans. One girl came into school wearing a studded bra!! I definitely agree with you the way girls are dressing is getting out of hand. Unfortunately I think it's too late for anything to be done about it.

• Yes it's getting out of hand. Everything is shrunken. I like form fitting clothes but I don't like short shorts that are a centimeter away from showing my butt. You can't even find shorts with a decent length. The thing is while girls are thinking certain clothes make them more attractive it's actually doing the opposite. I do think that parents today are way to lenient on the way they allow their daughters to dress. Back when I was a kid my parents would not let me go out the door in a skimpy outfit. Scratch that, my parents would not even let me use their money to purchase skimpy clothing. Whenever I wanted new clothes my mom would accompany to see if it was appropriate. If she gave me money to get clothes I would have to show her what I purchase.

• I don't think girls that are 11, 12, 13 and so on should be wearing shorts that show there butt, they're to young and even over the age of 18 I find it distasteful but in reality it's not my place to judge the girls who wear things like this, it's their life not mine.

• I don't think it's the "severity" of the clothing that bothers me, it's how young they're wearing it... We're associating "young and innocent" with "sexual" in disturbing ways.

This sounds cliche but when you're 11-14 years old, you really DON'T know any better. You can't fully understand the dynamics at hand because you probably don't realize how f***ed-up the whole thing is.

But some guys proudly play right into it. link link

I think there's responsibility on both sides here. It seems like men don't mind being described as uncontrollable horndogs with no free will? "If there's grass on the field, play ball"? At some point it doesn't even matter what you're wearing.

• i think its getting out of hand...there is a way to look cute, attractive, sexy, stylish, etc AND be modest or at least a little bit modest as well. I will say though that stores make it a bit harder because you have to sift through all the inappropriate clothing to find the clothing that you want and that actually fits.

What Guys Said 3

• Parents should be better parents, but many have little control over their kids these days. The kids simply won't accept any advice or discipline. You can see it when you give advice to teenagers here. Usually, if it isn't what they want to hear, they call you names and block you. I feel sorry for their parents, and for them.

• Does it bother me when I see fourteen year-olds walking around in skintight white shorts with black thongs on underneath? Yes. Yes it does.

I don't want to think the thoughts that I think when I see that. She's a f***ing KID, for f***'s sake. Makes me feel like a creepy old man, and I HATE it.

When she gets to be that age, I will not allow my daughter to dress like that. She can dress cute, I'm all for that. But she will not be dressing sexy, that's just asking for trouble. It shouldn't be that way, but that's the unfortunate reality of it.

• "don't know what guys are thinking?" C'mon man! I've seen girls dressed respectably enough for church and still pictured them naked. If a girl is hot and has a great body, she could be wearing a parka and guys will still be thinking about what's underneath.

• True but my main point was getting that attention from older guys...that's just wrong. I get what you mean too, I do that as well but still it seems like you're inviting it when you dress immodestly. That's what I was saying.

• Girls under 18, and by older men I mean like over 40.

• Ah Ok. Yeah--keep it over 18. . .