If I'm pretty in the mirror, why am I not pretty in the camera?

I'm average looking, but nevertheless, I do think I look at least decent or put together, makeup or not. I think makeup allows me to enhance my features and contour my cheekbones which is something I need since my face is roundish-ovalish-idontknowish

I look decent in the mirror...

But when I take pictures, I look blah. I'm not talking about professional pictures, cause no one really wants to pay money and spend time getting prof pics taken just for Facebook or whatnot. But if I'm with friends and we take pics, I look blah.

advice/help?

*If you think I'm ugly, cool. But that's irrelevant.

Most Helpful Guy

• lol the only pic that I seen that you confirmed was you was much more than just "blah".

I've heard many women say that. I would have to guess, when they look in the mirror, they are seeing themselves at in a well-lit room, at a consistently same angle. But random pictures can be in all different light levels, different angles, different distances, and many other factors affecting the appearance of a face. Not to mention, women aren't always made up 100% of the time when they go out. I've seen paparazzi pics of celebrities that made me go bleh!

• noo haha, I'm definitely blah

but yeah, the whole mirror being in a well-lit room makes sense, since the mirrors in my dorm and house have lights around them(like around the mirror) as well as the main light in the room

• aw don't be too hard on yourself lol.

• I mean, it's just honestly. I know some people aren't photogenic, which sucks -_- I just wish I was

What Guys Said 14

• We both deal with the same issues, I take pictures because I'm FORCED to by people's nagging, " Come on Phoenix, Take a pic for me!". I lost 10 lbs with in the past 2 weeks and I felt confident about it on Saturday, then I took a picture later that day, I didn't like it.

I think that term "Cameras make you look 10lbs bigger" is true, I would like to think its a psychological way of thinking, but I really doubt that's the case. I think overtime I think if we don't put too much effort (in terms of thinking about it) into it, it will just appear natural.

If my memory serves me correct, you looked pretty in the pictures, you may not think that about yourself because you judge yourself harshly, I'm the same way, but yet everyone else tells me the exact opposite of what I thought about myself.

• People prefer their reflection over a real image.

Remember that a mirror is a mirrored image, your left is right and your right is left, we are used to this image. Once we look at pictures or movies of ourselves there's this unsatified sensation that comes of not fully recognizing oneself. We all prefer our mirrored image.

It's the same with the sound of our voice. It sounds unfamiliar on tape and most of us don't like it.

• Do you know how to take a good photo. I take photos of my girlfriend and they are excellent she takes photos of me and they look like crap. She does not know how to take a photo. You know in full daylight often you need a flash and background along with proper profile makes a diffrence.

I know I can take a good photo.

Good luck

• Regardless of how you look in real life the way you see yourself in the mirror is like taking a perfect shot with a good DSLR , because you stand perfectly in front of the mirror with the best looking face you can put on , But when just taking random pics you're not ready for them and there not taken withe the best lighting level or angle.

If you still have doubts go to a studio and tell someone to take a few shots of you , and compare them with the other pics you have of yourself. You will be amazed.

• I have 3 theories:

-Just be natural and spontaneous while taking pictures and always smile, show your teeth and don't squint your eyes or make weird faces or try to look away from the camera. Looking away from the camera is the worse you can do.

-Try taking pictures with different camera's until you get one that always makes awesome pictures under the worse lighting possible. I find that Canon camera's are awesome, but a tad expensive.

-Maybe if you stare long enough at yourself in the picture like you do in the mirror you'll start to look better in the pictures as well, because I think you look great no matter how bad the picture, unless it's something like this. link

• To say beauty comes from within would not answer your question, so remember camera lenses have varying focus levels..this causes some distortion. Your mirror reflection is only returning to your view through a thin layer of unpolished glass..this is a reflection not a focused image. Smile take the picture, we all hate how we look sometimes but hey just remember every minute we age, so things are going to change for either the good or the bad, this is life.

• A mirror or camera does not determine whether you are beautiful. It is yourself that tells "You are Beautiful".

• You just may not be photogenic

also, mirrors vary incredibly, the mirror in my room portrays me to be tall, dark, and handsome

while the one in the bathroom makes me look short, pasty and ugly lol

• Same here, I could look like a goddess in my home and meh in a random mirror...it sucks!

• it does suck, just don't trust mirrors!

• Cameras capture not so much an image as it does an element of time, mood, expression and ambience. A picture's worth a 1000 words is a bit of an understatement. The mirror is a moving image and we're far too distracted to analyse what's going on in the poetic sense.

Same when you hear your own voice on the audio player.

• Add me! I have a win win solution

• if that's you in the profile pic then you need to get some lenses in those glasses hun because your hawt

• Same problem here. I always like the way I look in the mirror, but when pictures are taken of me while we're out, I look all conf*ckulated. No idea what gives.

I usually use an app called "Pixlr-o-Matic" on my phone that does a good job with various filters of making me look a little better for stuff like Facebook profile pics.

• Neither is the best example of how you look. the mirror is in one place, a camera is not... the way you look differs depending on the lighting conditions. A video is a far better indicator of how you look

• This doesn't help me because I want advice on improving myself in pics

• there isn't an answer... it depends on the angle/ lighting, its never going to have the same solution ever time because like I said a camera or mirror is bias to depend on the environment arouns you

• Take one of those black and white pics of yourself. I've seen lots of OK looking girls look hot in them!

• haha

thanks for the suggestions but I wouldn't want to limit myself to that. I do like dressing up my pics with instagram though

What Girls Said 8

• Probably has something to do with the lens. Basic lenses like on camera phones ( though some are better than others,) effect the quality of a picture greatly - often blowing up proportions of the face. Like I have big lips, small eyes and slightly wider jaw line, so the camera on my phone gives me this " bowling Pin," like effect ha ha, making the lower half of my face seem so much bigger than the rest of my face, when in reality there's only a slight difference in sizes. I have a " Monroe " styled pose that compliments this, but always makes me look way to sexy / sultry - which isn't appropriate for FB or a lot of pictures in general. But straight shots at my face...meh.

Though when I took senior pics with a prof camera, they actually captured my beauty well. I'm no Beyonce, but I've got a pretty face.

The guy who took the pics went on to tell me that angles you snap at make a huge difference when using lower quality camera's, so now I tilt my head slightly down and don't smile too broadly so I get a decent pic when friends feel the urge to snap me.

• Think about it, a mirror image is 3D and a picture is 2D. Some people just aren't photogenic while others look better than then do in real life. However there are one or two things you can do to improve they way you look in a photo. Learn how to pose/find your best angle, also the way you do your makeup can help with the way your face takes in pictures. When taking a photograph think about lighting, think about how close/far away from the camera you are.

I don't believe I'm particularly photogenic either, but I do know which angles look best on me.

• Pictures always seem to bring out all the flaws, and none of the positive things.

To be honest, I've seen firsthand that most people in group photos, unless you're doing something REALLY out of the ordinary to draw attention to yourself, will be too busy picking out THEIR flaws, not yours. If they do pick out yours, I wouldn't surround myself with these people. They're horrible for your self esteem.

As for single, profile photos, the best thing to do is take them in good lighting (I find outdoors is the best). Shadows and bad lighting only enhance facial flaws and other qualities you'd rather hide. The glow from the sun (which is the most natural lighting) actually helps to hide certain flaws and give a glow to your skin, to some extent. I would try this, and see if it helps at all.

• Practice taking pics of yourself and Learn your best angles. You might want to try the 3/4 pose, where you turn your head so the pic is taking 3/4 of your face and not head on shot

• Because pictures pick up every flaw you have! I think it is best to practice with your camera different poses and expressions and figure what looks best for you. For instance, my left side is my good side, and I usually look better when I smile with my teeth apart.

• sometimes when we look in the mirror,we see ourselves as more attractive than we really are,we focus on only certain parts of ourselves,and when we see a photo-not only do we see everything,but we also see it flipped-and our brain isn't used to that image-but it is how others see us,so in a way it is more realistic-BUT,lighting,background,angles,focus-they can make us look more/less attractive-so there really is no way to know for sure what you look like,just deal with it-stop worrying so much about looks.

• depends how you feel inside. if you feel ugly, you will look ugly...if you feel pretty than you are. I am as average as most people, but because of who I am, I think I am pretty and I share love, happiness with others. I don't call people names...that might be a good beginning.

• pictures are very harsh. also I think we are used to our mirror image because we can't actually see ourselves. I usually like my mirror face better too. also the camera is not as flattering as a live eye so many people look better live and in motion.