When passing someone face to face what do you do do?

Esp if its someone of the opposite gender and they look you right in the face...either someone you know of but don't talk to or a total stranger on the street.

I want to know because when I look at people while walking on the sidewalk to see if I know them or pay attention to my surroundings,they look down to avoid looking at me then they go back to putting their head back up again...that's gotten me paranoid and I started doing that too.

I've tried to convince myself its not me but no one I know notices/pays attention...is it so bad to look people in the face?I feel sorry for them when they look down but I have respect for people that keep walking with their head held high like me.

I just feel bad when a guy my age looks down or away esp if he's cute or hot.

• I keep walking with my head down eventhough I'm attracted to him/her
  • I keep walking with my head down because he/she isn't attractive to me
  • I keep walking with my head high to get a good look
  • I keep walking with my head high because I'm not intimidated
  • I put my head down because its just plain awkward
thanks for answering Merry Christmas,i'll choose best answer before New Years! I don't know why I asked this question though now I really don't care why or what the other person thinks,its a total stranger I'll probably never see again.

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to keep my head down no matter what, but now I'm not awkward at all so I just keep my head up with a brooding stare and it usually causes other people to look down. I like the power in it, to be honest.

• lol me too. like I can make them look away first!

What Guys Said 12

• Wonder how many head highers actually keep their head up. Averting your gaze and staring at a wall is just as bad as dropping your head.

Most Americans are afraid of eye contact in public. Its the strangest thing...

• Putting your head down is something you learn to do when people around you are not friendly toward you. It's not like you're going to make eye contact with strangers while riding the bus, that would create tension.

• If it's just one person then I'll nod or say hi if they look at me. If it's a lot of people in a row then I'll just glance at them and then look where I'm going.

• My attention span is terrible as it is, I can't focus on any stranger I pass on the street, I just pass.

• when I pass by a cute girl, she always has her head down or looking away like I'm not there or something. I keep my head up and look for some eye contact but they just look and stare forward.

• I say hello

• I always look somewhere else, then we we are about a meter away, I look them in the eye, smile, and continue walking. Though, when I am on my skateboard, they usually don't look at me..

• I just side smile and nod my head, or say Hi

• Usually when I look at people while walking, they get the hell out of my way.

I have a permanent scowl, so I constantly look like I'm ready to wreck somebody's face, unless I'm actively trying not to. Strangely, kids don't tend to find me threatening. They love me. I don't get it.

I don't avoid looking at people though. That's just kind of silly.

• Life is safer to not look at people directly.

• where I live we just nod at each other as we pass by. sometimes I smile so they know I'm not going to rob them :P

I was working at a grocery store packing bags and as a test for about 4 days I looked the costumers in their eyes and gotten mixed reactions some were friendly and others got all awkward. I stopped doing it because I don't like making others feel weird.

what I'm trying to get at is everyone act's differently in public and sometimes it depends on who they are and where they live.

• If she is ugly I continue to walk forward

If she is weird I put my head down

If she is attractive I call "dibs"

If "dibs" doesn't work, I pee on her leg to mark my territory

She probably wants a minority anyway, so I don't bother.

• I can be awkward sometimes but I don't think strangers can tell

What Girls Said 5

• I'd say A, B, C, and E. it really depends on the situation and my mood as well as if it is someone I know and like vs someone I know and don't like regardless of whether or not I talk to them and if it's a stranger depends on what the stranger does and where I'm at

• I don't ever put my head down, if they are attractive and they are looking my way, I'll look at them straight back. If I noticed they are attractive from far away, I'd either look straight head or concentrate on something to the side. If they aren't attractive and looking my way, I literally just blank them out and look straight ahead.

• I always walk with my head up. It's the rare exception that if I happen to see an attractive guy, I'll slant my head down a bit. But generally when I walk, I try not to look people in the eye, it's awkward :3

• D. I never look down when passing people, I have no reason to feel intimidated.

• keep walking