My fitness instructor told me I was fat.....someone explain?

How am I fat?

My fitness instructor told me I was fat.

But that just doesn't compute in my mind.

I'm 5'4

114 lbs

32-24-32

I wear a size 0-3 (depending on the store) jean

C-cup

You can see my hip bones and I have a four pack (when I flex). Also, you can see my ribs and spine without me raising my arms or bending over. My collarbone is defined and I have very toned legs.

She said I have above average lower body and core strength.

Yet she called me fat. Where is this fatness coming from? Am I just fat because I don't have as much upper body strength as I do lower body?

link

This is a link of my body type. It's the closest I could find to what I look like because I don't know how to upload pictures (for shame, I know) anyway, her torso and legs and arms look exactly like my body. I know it's not the greatest angle, but please tell me where my fitness instructor is seeing the fatness.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I can tell from that picture quite easily. If that truly is accurate reflection of your body type in the link, and those are your true stats, then no, you are not fat, you are at most averaged weight, and I would even call you slender.

No, fat is not your definition. The definition of "being fat" is a highly contestable status, and even varies from individual to individual, i.e., one person's fat is another person's normal. But generally, the term being fat entails your body weight is above hotly debated medical thresholds and a significant majority of this excess weight consists of fat, fatty tissues and actual fats stored in lipocytes. Thus a 180lb man with 35% body fat, is fat, but a 240lb bodybuilder at 8% body fat is not. Being fat does not have anything to do with differentials between upper and lower body strengths.

At your height, most charts put your ideal weight between 114 to 127lbs. So, you are at the low end of the ideal weight range, thus you are not even overweight. With bony hips and a four pack, that suggests your body fat % is on the low end average at most, maybe even a little below average, though your boobs will skew the numbers, for health purposes anyway.

Therefore, I personally conclude, based on what you told me being truthful, you are not fat, and your fitness instructor is a pompous ass.

What Guys Said 8

• maybe it's because that you don't have a lot of muscle? Some people might look skinny, and in good shape, while in reality a lot their weight is fat. This is not as dangerous as being overweight, but it still can lead to some diseases. So maybe that's what she meant? I don't know, but you should just keep going to the gym, that's the best advice I can give ya, to stay fit :D

• Clearly not fat.

She's being extremely specific of body fat percentage perhaps. Not quite the best way to let you know of this though...

• It's a little hard to tell from that picture.

Unfortunately, I'm going to need an actual picture of your body. Preferably with less clothes in order to get a more accurate estimate.

• Ur fitness instructor must be anorexic...the average person would never say a girl of that link's bodytype is fat.

• You look pretty fit.

What was the context of the comment. Can you recall the exact sentence?

• "Your body fat percentages are high (24%) so this makes you fat." I'm not going to lie and say I'm super muscular or anything, but I'm wondering, since my core and lower body are both very fit, where this 24% is being held? Is it just my lack of upper body muscle or something?

• I did a variety of things. I swam competitively for eight years, ran just for pleasure, did Marching band (yes, an athletic activity) and did a month long boot camp that was offered just for fun for students at my high school. I also ride horses (yes, an athletic activity involving core strength) and I just like staying slim.

I'm just trying to understand her too. I'm working on getting my body fat down by replacing it with muscle, but it's a work in progress.

• You don't have a high body fat percentage. 24% is healthy/athletic.

Maybe she is mistaken.

• Your fitness instructor is interested in making you insecure so you'll hit the gym more and more - after all you pay your money to her.

If you really look like anything from that picture you posted, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Your instructor sounds like a bitch. Just saying. I'm 5'7, weigh a solid 140 lbs and is pretty slender. Whenever sparring with someone I'm always told that yet while I'm so skinny, I also have a lot of speed and strength. The instructor sounds jealous, wishing they were you.

• you seem to be healthy looking to me. I can't see where you would lose anymore weight without being too skinny

What Girls Said 8

• Are you sure her exact words are "you are fat"? I only ask that because if you wanted you could get her fired for that. I am not recommending that you do that, but be careful making her words being miss led. if she used the exact words "you are fat" then you should say something to someone else on staff, but be sure those were exact words to you. If she was point out that your BMI is high in her professional opinion that is one thing. If you read my profile you will understand why I am asking you this. If should pointed out to you that your BMI is higher then recommended for someone who works out that is our job in the fitness industry and its not a easy thing to do. I don't just go up to people and say that. I only say something if they come up to me and get body fat test, but I never ever say you are fat I just give them tools and advice on how to loose some of their body fat. They can either accept it or not.

• I think she was referring to your high body fat % 24% is not bad for an average woman (I think healthy is 20-25%) but it is definitely high for an athlete or someone wanting to be in above average physical condition. For example, I'm really into fitness so my bf% is 16-18%. I think she just meant you have a lot of body fat by fitness standards, which is true but there are better ways to say it than simply telling you you're fat.

• Your fitness instructor is probably a jealous d***head. Does it matter what other people think about you? Answer: no, it matters what you think about you. Don't let your life be dominated by other peoples opinions.

• I'm pretty sure just wants money. Putting people down because of their body is not acceptable! You're thin, and this instructor needs to get fired.

• she jealous. your BMI is healthy.

• Well, maybe you have a bit of a pouch. That will make any woman look fat, no matter how thin she is.

• You have a high body fat % so technically you are fat she is right but not very nice thing to say

• I don't think your fitness instructor told you that you were fat. Doesn't sound plausible.

You just want attention and for people to tell you that you're not fat.

• I think they did tell me I was fat. I don't need people to tell me I'm not. I'm not that insecure. The instructor said I wasn't fit enough and was borderline overweight according to my body fat percentages (24%) so I'm wondering where I'm carrying the 24%.

• I'm not insecure. I just want to know where this 24% body fat is on my body. Any way to try to troll. It's not working, sunshine.

• Not trolling, sunshine. How can you expect people to tell you where the "24% body fat" is on your body when the picture you posted isn't even of your body? Even if your instructor called you fat, which I doubt, 24% isn't bad at all. It's perfectly healthy.