How can I finally accept myself?

I've always hated the way I look, sound, and everything. I gained weight because a girlfriend of mine got me to be lazy, and also she liked bigger men. Now I'm trying to get it off. I have sever depression, and I'm usually wanting to die. Meds don't help, and they actually make me worse. They can make me look like I have parkinson's disease. I have made myself happy for a long time, but my methods are starting to fail, and when people find out the truth about me, they are shocked...

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't you ever change yourself to please someone else. Reason being it is human nature to like something one day and hate it the next and the same applies to boyfriends or girlfriends. You need to understand that this is who you are and you are the only one who has the power to change it. Just ensure that when you do make the decision to change it that it is for your benefit and not for someone else. Trust me, I tried the whole living to please people thing and I ended up hating myself for some time because I was trying so hard to be perfect but I learnt that you can't please people and this is who I am, take it or leave it.

What Girls Said 3

• From my personal experiences:

For as long as I can remember (early childhood). I was insecure, had depression, anxiety, and generally was not happy. Looking back now. Yes I had depression, anxiety, and wasn't happy. I was also lazy when it came to taking care of myself. I took medications from Junior high until my adult years. I tried therapy, and I tried changing myself (personality wise) so that I would feel more accepted in hopes to make myself happier. I was a pushover, and allowed other people to make me who I was. It didn't work. It never did. I reached my mid 20's and I was nearly obese, in a crappy relationship and hadn't done anything with my life. Everyone around me had this impression of me that I was happy, and confident. When a friend finds out that I've had the issues with depression that I had, they are pretty shocked and usually don't believe me. This was one year ago.

About a year ago, I got fed up. I was tired of being this person, I didn't like this person, I felt gross, unhappy and disappointing with myself. I walked out of my crappy relationship, I lost 50 lbs, started running, went back to school, and got a promotion at my work, and took myself of my meds that I had learned to rely on for nearly 15 years. All within a year. It makes it sound like I've had a great and lucky year, but I made the decision do it, and it wasn't just things that turned out well. I had a lot of walls I had to break through in order to get myself on track. Some stemming from past decisions, and some I had placed on myself.

Being happy is a decision you have to make, and once make that decision you can't turn back. You will go up and down constantly with barriers you have placed on yourself, but things will get better. You have learn who you are and be satisfied with that. Once you can figure that out it's almost like light switch has been turned on. It takes a lot of work though, and I personally still have a longs ways to go. You can do it, it's not impossible.

• just start a membership at the gym take it slow, start adding a bit more in every day you go in. I would start with 2-3 days a week then eat healthy get of the meds. Go on a lads night out. Pull a few girls. Do your thing and you will get your confidance back in no time :)

• This is kind of a serious questions. Therapy? Different medication? There are lots of medications.

Talk to your doctor again. Change your diet. Get a gym membership.

I have a gym membership and I actually do go.

What Guys Said 2

• Each one of us are created differntly from the other. Happiness comes from acceptance within. Not what others think of us. That inner peace comes from God alone. God can be found in you not from the outside. Just simply accept yourself.

The truth about you is you were created exactly as you were supose to be, nothing different !

Once you accept yourself everything else will fall into place.

You already know you can find a woman so nothing to worry about that. There will be others in your life.

Acceptance will help with depression but it is a very serious malady that prevents your faith so take what is suggested for meds. But growth in inner peace is your next step. Good luck man.

• Get ripped.