Old Fashioned? or Well-Mannered?

There are some things that people either consider old fashioned or well mannered, things like holding doors etc.

My real question is, do you think it is old fashioned for a guy to ask a girls father (or parent lets say) for their permission to propose?

Just a random thought that popped into my head and I wanted other opinions about it...

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you think it is old fashioned for a guy to ask a girls father (or parent lets say) for their permission to propose?

In my opinion it's old-fashioned and like it seems most old-fashioned notions stems from regarding gals as property who couldn't make decisions for themselves and had their affairs handled by the men.

What Guys Said 3

• It probably depends on the culture, but I think it's old fashioned. Maybe it's because I don't understand why someone would have to ask for permission. That being said, if I ever think about getting married there is a chance I'd still ask for her father's permission haha.

• No, you need the approval of family and friends.

• Since when good manners became "outdated"?

What Girls Said 2

• It's so sad that "well mannered" is associated with "old fashioned".

I think it's very appropriate for a guy to ask the parents for permission. Even if they say no and he is still going to go ahead with it, I think it's an important show of respect. It also may give the new husband/wife some security and confidence knowing they have the parents blessing.

I think it's sweet a should never be "old fashioned"

• not old fashioned