People have told me that when they first met me they thought I was smug.

On a few occasions, people have told me that when they first met me they thought I was smug or full of myself, just because I didn't talk... when really I'm just super shy! I open up more once people get to know me. Do you think it could also be my normal facial expression? People are always telling me I look sad or mad when I'm perfectly happy.

Which brings me to my two questions:

1. How do I make myself appear more happy and approachable whether its through facial expressions, or body language?

2. Do you think that the way someone dresses and/or their physical appearance can lead people to make the assumption that they are full of themselves, or smug?

What Guys Said 1

• How can someone be smug or "full of themselves" if they barely talk. Silly of them to presume this on such an absurd basis and I hope people don't feel this way about me.

• I felt the same way. When I asked her why she thought that, she said its because it seemed like I was better than everybody else, like I couldn't talk to them.

• Grrr! The reason we can't talk to them is because we're just shy, quiet, introverted... well I speak for myself on the introverted bit since you didn't say that about yourself. I speak for myself here as well when I say that another reason I can't, or struggle to at least, talk to people is because I'm socially dysfunctional. I actually have a social dysfunction or whatever you want to call it. Some people... they think a quiet person MUST be like that because they think they're too good?!?

• haha that's what I'm saying!

What Girls Said 1

• Smile more

Contribute to the conversation