Is it weird to smile at people who look at you?

I want to make more friends & socialize more in college. Is this a good way to do so? like walking down the hall, someone looks at you and smiling.

there's not that many clubs in the college but so many students. Also in my program it's all girls

Most Helpful Guy

• I think smiling at people should be encouraged. Not a great way to meet people though since people aren't just going to talk to you as you walk by because you're smiling. Though, if someone is hesitant about talking to you, smiling will definitely negate that feeling.

What Guys Said 5

• It may be a bit surprising for a second, but then it's a sign of friendship and invitation to communicate. I was sitting in class when a girl sat not far from me. I looked at her a minute later, and saw her looking at me with an added smile in one second. It made me feel happy that someone is welcoming me. The next class, she sat next to me, we started talking, and became friends. Smiling is a great way to invite someone to be friends with you.

• Not at all.

Please don't ignore shy guys who look at you.

Smile at guys who look at you in a acceptable way. that would encourage them to talk to you !

For girls it is about the same but you have to consider girls who smile by jealousy or anything like that.

If you really want to make friends talk to people.

• Smiling is an invitation for further contact - it shows that you're willing to be approached. There are other things you could do as well - start an informal club of your own!

• That's how I say hey normally, sometimes I even bow my head a bit in acknowledgment.

• I wish more girls smile rather than put up a poker face or blank face

What Girls Said 5

• It's not weird at all, at least not to me. I believe it's only polite to do so ! The only times I do not smile to people who look at me is when they're glaring at me or if I really don't like them. Even then, I might juts smile harder at them to laugh at their hate :P

I don't think it's the best way to actually meet new people though. You could always go talk to someone random from one of your courses and start having small talk everyday.

Otherwise, I suggest signing into an activity you like, and try to get to know people in here :)

Good luck with this :)

• Yes, it shows that you are friendly and approachable.

• No, that's not weird! It's really nice. Go for it.

• Smile! I think it would be weird to make eye contact with someone in passing and not smile. I don't know if it will actually help you make friends, but smiling makes you seem more friendly and approachable, and that could definitely help.

• No it's not weird unless you are living up north. They don't have that southern hospitality where they smile as a single of "hello" to people they walk pass.