Gangnam style: Yay or Nay?

• Yay
  • Nay

Most Helpful Guy

• Not going to lie, when this first start becoming popular, I liked the song, not necessarily for its artistic prowess, but I just thought it was fun and the video was funny.

Now I don't like it as much because I feel it's gotten completely out of hand. I always thought of the song as a joke, sort of like a weird al song. But apparently people are taking it seriously which is what's made me shake my head.

So as a musician, DJ, producer, Sound Engineer, I can say from an entertainment standpoint, yeah I like it, admittedly, but from an artistic/musical standpoint, its an awful song.

What Girls Said 31

• I listen to Korean songs since long time ago,

even before their Invasion, before Gangnam Style too.

I can tell you that there very awesome Korean songs

and they are among my favorite.

But seriously, I couldn't get why this stupid Gangnam Style took the fame instead!

Words are stupid and lame, melody feels like it's for dancing and that's it, not real music..

Real music should convey the feeling even without words. His voice isn't really adorable too.

I feel it's over-rated and this shows that people can't sense the real music anymore,

all they care about is the appearance and the computer effects.

• Yea. It's cool enough I guess. I don't go enough places or listen to enough radio that plays it for it to be played out for me.

• Nayyyyy! That sh*t pisses me off >.<

• I think "yay" is a bit too much. big whoop already!

• Nay.Not cool at all for me.

• Yay...It's just a goofy song that Psy never really meant for people to take it seriously.

I've listened to Asian music (Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese) for a long time now, and I kind of find it funny that people who are new to the language will go so crazy over it.

I hate Hyuna's version of it though...talk about an annoying voice

• I enjoy it, I'm glad that it has opened the English speaking world up to the music from other languages, I to have had an interest in Koren and Japanese music for many years, and it makes me happy that the rest of the world is starting to see that they do have quality music in other languages, I agree it isn't my favorite but I enjoy it and what it's done.

• yay!

• it's just for fun YAAAY!.. I know now what's the inspiration of that dance steps hehehe ^-^... I think the gorillas! ^-^

• Yay

I like Gangnam style :)

I even learned the dance :3 fun at senior prom !

• Nay.

I don't know what he's saying

I don't like his voice

The video sucks

and

he

is

a little off (crazy).

• Nah, it's getting old

• I honestly don't understand how that song got so popular and widespread...

• it was pretty catchy at first, now it's just overplayed.

• Nay.

Gangam Style is one of the most annoying song of 2012.

• It's cool that its the first video to reach one billion views on YouTube, and I semi know the dance, so yay!

• Asian Invasion. Not feelin it.

• It will forever sound like "open condom style" to me.

• Song of the next decade!

• it was amusing to see when it first came out but I'm kinda over it now.

• It's okay but I like the creative dance moves. They are fun and strange

• Purty good when I first heard it.. now I've heard it toooo many times its old

• someone commented on the YouTube video "i want to gangnam in his a**hole." and I think the person who wrote that was a guy...

• YAY!

• heyyyyy sexy laydayyy

it's so fun

• Gangnam Style is a good song, and has a meaning behind it.

I hate how the majority of people thinks that PSY is just another idiot acting silly and doing whatever.

The good thing with all this 'Gangnam Style' craze is that more people got to know about Kpop.

The bad things are

- that Gangnam Style isn't a representative kpop song.

- that people start listening to Kpop for wrong reasons

- that almost like every 'hit' song, you get bored of it after a while(like after you heard it 30 times in the radio in a day, 7 times in the club in one night and saw the videoclip so many times,that you actually know how many lamps the roof has in 0:34 without looking)

- Hyuna gaining worldwide popularity. OH GOD I HATE THAT GIRL. There are far more talented and beautiful females in the Kpop industry, why did Hyuna become a 'symbol'?

- ignorant people calling PSY Chinesse. Or Japanesse. Or whatever. HE IS KOREAN FFS.

- people hating and judging kpop just because of this one song.

- the fact that more people want to visit Korea now, and because of this the travel fees are bigger.So I have to pay more to visit Korea :(

Yeah, I know some of these cons are completely personal ^^

• Someone is thinking way to much into this lol

• I think she's Asian :P

• LoL I agree with you about Hyuna. I think she's very bold and different than other Korean female singers. I mean I know that Korea is more conservative country, but this girl is trying to get her popularity using her sexy dances. She doesn't have a good voice, if you listen to her just talking you will notice her voice is throaty and they use a lot of effects to fix her voice in her songs. I admire some Korean female singers they have good voices and personalities but didn't get this popularity.

• I like it when I'm drunk lol

• NAY.

What is poor PSYcho famous for? He's holding concerts for people who only want to see the dance. Westerners jumping around like a horse screaming "Open Condom Star". They just love the dance, the easy chorus starting and that's all really. He's been making great music for a while now but people just see him as that weird Korean guy prancing about on YouTube. I loved it at first but every time I tune into the radio..."EEEEEEEEEY SEXY LADAY" every 5 minutes. People are just washing it out.

And it's not like hallyu, it doesn't even support it as well

• I always thought he was saying "condom star"

• nay to giving that sh*t more views, yea funny, no more, OK, jokes old...

• More from Girls
    1

What Guys Said 23

• I'm down for this. I've listened to other PSY songs, like Right Now ( link ), or Korea, and he's a pretty talented guy. Not to mention he seems like a pretty cool guy, definitely has a good sense of humor, and I hear he's pretty educated, too. Also, didn't he marry his high school sweetheart?

I like him. I really like Gangnam Style, and Korea ( link ), best. I really loved this little collaboration, too, ( link ) and the one he did with Kim Hyun-A ( link ) was cute, but not as awesome as the Hammer one.

Anyway, like him or not, he's not going away. It's clearly not dead just yet. For example, take a look at what happened a week ago. ( link )

• Hmm! I bet the last link was a big success for him, in front of Obama. lol

I LOVE Korea but I can't get why this guy's song became famous in particular.

I always listen to Korean music and there're a lot of funny singers too who sing and dance even better. But I don't know.. maybe his company has something to do with it.

• Hahah yeah yeah The Axe gang, that movie was damn funny the main characters are totally stupid. xD

Now I think of it yes the opening feels like it. And yeah actually this song would have been better if they fixed the voices it sounds funny like this lol. But maybe its dance was good.

• Yeah, I suppose so.

• link one has 1bil views, was amusing at first but it's older than dirt now..

• I don't even know what to vote. I guess I'll go with "Nay". It's way better than the other sh*t out there in mainstream music. But my god. People just don't seem to get it. People nowadays don't seem to listen to music for the music, they just listen to it for something to relate to with others (e.g. dancing to it, joking around about it). What's the point of that? I was really happy when I found out that Gangnam Style was at the top of the mainstream music charts. Then I just got pissed off when I realized that even with Gangnam Style, they were playing it every half an hour on the radio.

I'm not saying that this is the case with every song and every person. There's loads of awesome modern music out there, and there are loads of people who listen to it for the right reasons. But it seems like most people nowadays are just the brainless citizens Ray Bradbury talked about in Fahrenheit 451. They're dumbed down by the media, drink their brains out just like the citizens in Fahrenheit 451 do with their pills and static earphones... it's almost depressing. Not to say that these people today can't still contribute to society. But they're missing out on so much.

• Hell...no!

• I don't get why that song took off like it did. Is it just a dance craze like the macarena?

• It's a little more complicated than the macarena. The macarena doesn't require you to use your feet.

What cause it to take off is a mystery. Call it a combination of the a catchy, repetitive song, with matching dance moves for people to latch onto, plus humour, plus internet, plus lucky timing, and yeah. Something like that.

• it is Red-Indians' Rain Dance. I didn't know that would be this fancy when Asians do that. lol.

• Don't understand the hype around it

link :D

• Funny how the voting shows more guys are haters of psy's success. I think the song is not just funny but on point, whether it tired to be or not. it's about how rich silver spoon f***heads in an area of Korea lavish themselves in their wealth. That apparently makes for good comedy when put to music.

• F*** everyone who voted nay... The song is hilarious

• That track imo is a song that will live on forever...I'm 20yrs it will be considered an old school classic :-P

• NAY. FOREVER NAY

• Nay. Would rather watch link (no homo).

• Only if it's the Spanish remix on Latino 96.3

Nothing like the "Ay papi!" intro when you're pizz azz drunk with your hyna on your lap, double fisting tequila shots after a long week. ;)

• I was against it when I first heard it and it become such a thing. Then I actually watched the video and I could help but feel good. Then I saw interviews with the guy and he is so nice. Now I am a fan.

• I still find it amusing. And I'm not a retarded hipster that hates how sh*t cause it's popular lol. I'll hate on sh*t if it's stupid though. And ya, I'd get annoyed by people who over play it, but still won't really hate the song.

• Psy is the new Chuck Norris.

• When I first saw it I thought I went back in time to 1996 and saw the macarena.

• it's a cool song. I don't know the dance though

• You posted the wrong link the real video has over a billion views.

link

• New Indian song came out now , similar to gangman style , I don't know why it got so Mary views ?

• Yay. Even if it is intentionally silly. Makes a nice change.

• UGH

• It was cool back in like September but now it is just kind of annoying...

• yeah he sure seems like a real nice guy. you know this is normal...even if it was by another band who sings this kind of stuff.

“Kill those f------ Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captive?/ Kill those f------- Yankees who ordered them to torture?/ Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers?/ Kill them all slowly and painfully,” Psy sang at a 2004 concert in South Korea, held in protest of the United States and its military. The lyrics are not his — the song, “Dear American,” is by South Korean metal band N.E.X.T. — but the performance is in stark contrast to the smiling, good-natured pop star that Americans have been introduced to over the past six months.

the song sucks to. condom star repeat repeat repeat�