*Being* someone else vs. *Looking like* someone else

What do you think of his last comment about people's reactions to us making us who we are?

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Mulder: Hey Scully, if you could be somebody else for a day, who would it be?

Scully: Hopefully myself.

Mulder: So boring. I mean, wouldn't you even be tempted to try on somebody else's existence for a day? Live your life as somebody else?

Scully: Looking like someone else, Mulder, and being someone else are completely different things.

Mulder: Maybe it's not. Everybody else around you would treat you like you were somebody else. Ultimately maybe it's other people's reactions to us that make us who we are.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, it's true that other people reactions towards you shapes who you are. If you are dancing and you get a lot of attention and praises for it, definitely you're making a career of dancing in the future. If many negative comments are thrown at you, I think you'll never think of dancing again. That's how other people's opinion of you determines the course of life that you'll be taking.

If you really like to be your best self and achieve the inner happiness, being someone else is the best thing to do. If you treat yourself like a rockstar, then people will be suck into your reality and will be treating you like a rockstar. How you perceive yourself will suck people in, and will believed that you are truly that someone whom you're trying to be.

What Guys Said 1

• I think it's the same answer to the question of nature vs. nurture. It's a little of both. We have genetic predispositions to have a certain personality, but it is also affected but the environment we live in and our interactions with others in that environment.

What Girls Said 4

• I agree but also disagree. I believe we are the ones who ultimately choose what to be, that includes listening to others. However it doesn't mean we are not immune to those around us. A saying I once heard, "There are people in this world who prefer solitude. But there is no one who can withstand it."

We are social creatures that requires some interaction in order to not be unhinged and demote self growth. People who reach enlightenment usually do not require another human being necessarily because they can communicate with life itself spiritually without words, connecting on a mutual inner agreement of peace and love. They also end up focusing on only doing what they love, which does stump their overall growth but they realize that hobby/work is all they really need to live happily and only exert any extra for survival such as work enough to pay for shelter/food, or just rely on growing/harvesting food and charity.

Without other people we can be us truly, but with people we can grow from encouragement or not grow due to doubts. Also an individual may not bend to another's influence because he is born or learned to be stubborn or steadfast about his beliefs.

• I agree. I'm not beautiful, so I get made fun of a lot for it. People are often rude to me. I get overlooked by men. So I have social anxiety. I never had social anxiety until people started making fun of me. I used to be a very confident person, and out-going.

So I think if I was someone else, a beautiful girl and I was treated differently, I would be different. I wouldn't be scared to join new groups. I wouldn't be scared to ask guys out. I'd probably walk with my head held high. Right now, I walk with my head down, and I make sure I cover my face with my hair.

So yes, I think it's other peoples reactions that make us who we are.

• My agreement with that statement is dependent on the individual and the strength of their personality.

A person with a weak, normal, or flat personality will assume the role of the body that they are in. A person with a strong personality will always be known for their personality. It depends on what dominates peoples' opinions of you as a person, be it huge knockers or a very different way of doing things.

For example, I have been every clothing size from a 2 to a 10 in high school alone. In that time, I had two different hair colors and about four different hairstyles. My clothing style varied over that time too. But I can honestly say that people treated me exactly the same no matter how I looked because my personality dominates my appearance so much. But I knew a girl whose dad lost his job, causing her to quit cheerleading, gain weight because of stress, and dress more cheaply. Everyone treated her differently after that because her appearance dominated her personality.

• I think that matters less and less as you age. When you're younger, you try to imitate those you admire and become what you aspire toward. Then as you age, you realize that you have to live with yourself, and it's not easy if you're unhappy with things you've done. That slowly gives you the strength to become the person you WANT to be, rather than the person you are expected to be.

I think it's all a learning experience and all part of life, honestly. Not necessarily a bad thing.