If you had to choose between smart and good looking what would you pick?

You have to choose between a hot man/woman but no brains at all. Or a smart man/woman but not good looking.

From one to 10 how good looking do you consider yourself? From one to 10 how smart you consider yourself?

I'm just curious 'cause I saw this documentary that said that we look on the scale of good looking a number close to us.

If you chose good looking what number would that be.

If you chose smart what number would that be.

Most Helpful Guy

• Good looking. I'm smart enough for the both of us. Plus I would never lose when me & the good looking dumbass play Jeopardy.

It's a no brainer.

What Guys Said 13

• I choose neither personally. I wouldn't want someone too smart and I wouldn't want someone too stupid. Looks aren't my primary attraction either. It's a balance. I would rather be single than have someone of either extreme.

I would consider myself a 6 today and an 8 4 years ago. Working on getting back towards the 8.

I would consider myself a 9 on intelligence. I'm not trying to be a jerk but since you asked, I would consider myself very smart.

• Myself (self analysis)

Looks - 7

Intelligence -7

Myself (guessing what others would think of me)

Looks - 5

Intelligence - 6~8

Back when I graduated high school I thought that only the most intelligent chicks would be a good match for me, but having gone through college I am now afraid of both; too good looking AND too smart...

If she's too attractive, then maybe she would think she deserves a better looking guy than this average Joe. Maybe she'd think I'm too much of a nerd to be with her.

If she's a super genius, she would probably grow tired of talking with someone who cannot keep up with her. I feel like I would have the constant need to impress her otherwise she would leave me for someone genuinely smart and I would feel stupid.

If my numbers are higher than hers, I'd feel more secure. Why would she leave a great guy like me then =)

So I guess I'm kind of trying to improve my numbers now. I used to think that it was easier to become smarter, but now I'm finding it's actually easier to become attractive...at least I think.

• That being said, If I could rest assured that either the super model or the super genius would not want to leave me I could see myself in a loving relationship with either girl.

Perhaps I should have expressed this earlier...

• Intelligence 10/10

Looks 7/10

Intelligence way over looks, looks will change over time, a stupid person will always be stupid, and in 30 years when I don't want to have sex with them anyways I'm much prefer a girl I could talk to then one who used to be pretty.

• Brains > Beauty. Over time physical beauty/looks can fade, but the beauty of an intelligent mind will always shine through. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm probably not gonna fall head-over-heels for Amy Farrah Fowler, but a girl wouldn't have to be a "perfect 10" to get my attention either.

• I consider myself a 7 by looks, a 9 by smarts. I would always pick a smart girl over a hot girl.

I need to be able to have proper conversations to keep any degree of interest in the girl.

• For sure intelligence, too bad there's no real way to measure that, and it's even more subjective than looks. I think the Dunning-Kruger effect would torpedo this choice for most people, or warp it towards preferring good looks and rationalizing any present stupidity. That's what the real world shows. We certainly don't see any fangirls/fanboys swarming plain looking brainiacs.

• I'd say if I was left with such a pitiful choice, then I'd choose to stay single.

• I'd chose to bang the hot chick because she would be easy to talk into it and be friends with the smart chick and stay single. No reason to be in a relationship if you are not satisfied with your partner. Being single is a lot easier.

• id say I'm a 5 on looks. Smarts id say I'm a 7 or 8.

ideally id like a combo of both lol but id say I would pick good looking. Around a 7 probably

• I would chose to be more good looking.

Looks: 7.5. Brains: 7.5

• I would choose intelligence. 5/10 looks

5/10 smarts.

I'm an average joe

• Why not both?

• I don't think I'd be able to be romantically involved with either. As a friend I'd definitely go with the Smart woman that isn't good looking. I probably wouldn't associate with the good looking woman that had no brains.

I'd say I'm about a 3 out of 10 on the physical looks scale. ( link )

I'd say I'm about a 9.7-9.8 out of 10 in the smart scale. That's not just me being arrogant. I'm going off a bunch of testing that was done in my elementary and high school years. I mean, it also depends on the topic. If you ask me something I know nothing about, I probably wouldn't seem too smart. However, my ability to learn and retain new information then apply it to specific problems is much faster than most people.

Now, having said that, I often go way "out of my league" according to most people. I'm funny, confident, and I'm not afraid to fail. When I see something or somebody I like, I go for it. I don't care if they are out of my league or not. If I see something or somebody I'm not interested in, I don't settle. If they think I'm not good enough, they'll reject me and I'll move on. It's part of the benefit of living in a world of some 7 billion people, I can get rejected by quite a few without having to worry much.

When it comes to looks and personality for other women though, I don't really apply a number. I don't say "well she's a 9 and that other girl is an 8, so I'm going to talk to the 9", I look at them both, I think both are attractive, so I approach the one that seems more receptive to being approached based on non verbal cues.

• You're not 3/10

• Definitely. I think because looks are what give off the first impression, most people find looks to be the biggest spot of insecurity. That worry "I could be rejected before I even say a word" sets in and totally psyches people out haha.

• Depending on the approach. Some people are more shallow I guess

What Girls Said 9

• mmmm if it includes emotional stability, then I choose intelligence.

On the intelligence scale, I'm at least a 9...I'm pretty adept with most things in a well balanced way.

Looks wise? Well, Hot or Not gives me between 8-9..so I'll go with that, since I never really know how to answer that. If rating myself though...perhaps I generally agree...more of a 7-9 range personally.

• Looks: Intelligence:

(self-analysis)~ 9.2 (self-analysis)~7.5

(external judges)~ 8-10 (external judges)~ 6-9

(based on lists/polls/surveys) (depends on how well they know me)

Personally, I care very little about looks. Outside of being taller than me (I'm 5'8.5"), and not overweight, I base every other aspect of attraction on personality. Therefore, abiding by the rules of this survey, I would choose my significant other based on intelligence. Looks fade with time, and if I can't hold a conversation with someone, the relationship would stop well before that point. As for intelligence, they would have to be a true 8-10, because I can't stand it when people claim to be smart, but aren't.

• Well how ugly would the smart person be? If they look normal then I'd pick them

And how stupid would the attractive reason be? If they don't know enough to get along well inline then no lol

I do prefer smarts over looks tho (: makes it easier to talk to them if they have a mind haha

I'd say if 10 was like genius and 5 is normal then I'd be ~8

As for looks if 10 were supermodel and 5 were normal again then I think I'd be ~7.5

Hm for smart I'd prefer to choose at least 7 or higher. lowest id go would be 5 if he has other qualities that might be better and make up for lack of intelligence

And for looks I'd choose 6 and higher maybe a 5 if he has other qualities to make up for it.

What documentary was it? I watched a documentary called the science of sex appeal where there was a similar theory that people went for people who were "in their league"

• I would choose a man who is smart but not good looking.

Personally, I feel I am a 7 in looks and about a 9.5 in intelligence.

I would prefer to date someone who is on the same (or similar) level to me in both respects, but guys who are 7s typically feel entitled to 10s so I'll probably have to settle for someone uglier than myself.

• Smart=sexy to me. I don't know it just is a huge turn on for me. I'd pick that if I could have only have one or the other.

I think in regards to looks I'm probably a 6/10

In regards to intelligence probably a 6 or 7/10

• I admit I would rather be single than to only have one.

If I had to choose then I think I would choose hot but dumb. I would always be able to get good conversation from others and it would not be considered cheating but if I did it the other way around that would be opening up a can or worms that I don't want to open.

• I would choose smart. On the smart scale...10 on the looks id give myself an 8

• So I find it kind of hard to distinguish what "good looking" is when what I find good looking is kind of different from what the majority of people find good looking (sorry about the special snowflake syndrome).

To me, my boyfriend and I are both 10s, haha. But if you got an average from other people, I'd probably be a 6 and he'd probably be a 7.

Anyway, smarts are overall muuuuch more important to me. I couldn't pursue my passion if I wasn't smart. I consider myself about an 8.5 and want the same for my partner. Even if it means we're both ugly, haha.

• Huh? We are to choose a partner? Or are we choosing what we'd want to be?

• Partner. And also rate yourself.

• Got it. Partner: Looks: 7 Brains: 8; Me: Looks: 7.5 Brains: 9.8