Girls-- Why do you think it's so odd that a straight guy can do your hair and make better than you can?

I have never gone to cosmetology or gotten paid to do hair and makeup however, I grew up with a sister doing modeling and have always had an interest in it. I work as a Firefighter/Paramedic but on my days off I like to go out and party with friends. When a couple of my girl friends found out about my side talents they put me to the test and apparently I passed because I fix them up all the time now. I recently got into spray on makeup which has led to me doing a couple brides, some prom night fix up's and my most recent being low end modeling and college dancers and cheerleaders. I am not metro sexual in the least with my dirty truck and cowboy hat. I'm still a normal country boy, only with a hidden talent. But every time a meet a new girl that I'm going to make over I get the weirdest looks; and I don't understand why its so strange for a straight guy to enjoy this type of work. I love making girls look their best and by doing so, I get to be around beautiful women all the time when I'm off shift. Why is this so strange?

Most Helpful Girl

• The truth, they never seem a guy like you before.

• lol is it a bad thing? I still work on my truck, trail ride my horses, shoot whiskey and chew red man. I just happen to enjoy making over beautiful women haha.

• Nah, be proud, it makes you so much dreamier. *_- Anyways, I guess if I could redo it again, I would a proud pioneer in a male dominate field. Wait, I can still do that. By the way, you will have people like and dislike you for whatever their insecurity issues (outloud). You will even have some people diss you, but the truth, they freaken envy you. Happens all the time.

• A few my good friends are girls pioneering in a male dominated world, and theyre kickin ass and takin names. you're right though, its usualy the guys that try to hate. that is, until I say "bro, I'm surrounded by 30+ college and professional cheerleaders. all of whom are wearing yoga pants and sports bras... what part of that could possibly be so gay?'' haha. granted, that's not the only reason I like to do it, but its a nice bonus lol.

What Girls Said 21

• I think it's just all a bunch of stereotypes. I'm a girl and I can't do makeup worth a darn, I also end up looking like Lady Gaga the first time around and having to do it three or four times before I can look even half way decent. I blame the reason for this as I didn't have a mom growing up so I never really learned. We are a product of our influences and that doesn't have any bearing on our sexuality.

• I think you know why a lot of people might think it off at first glance seen as you had to explain how you came about learning about this stuff.

It's just not something most guys would stumble into because it's not something they'd typically explore. Most girls start playing around with make-up at a young age. Most guys do not.

It's a surprise is all.

• haha that's not even weird if I had a boyfriend who could do my hair for me I would be so happy I hate doing my hair and I am not very good at it, your sexual orientation should not dictate your career choices much like your gender shouldn't either. If you are enjoying doing what you do and it is your talent then don't doubt yourself just because people are immature about it.

• well said, I agree. but I don't think ill be doing it for a living anytime soon. I like being a firefighter and I love working with horses to much to take up a career in the fashion industry. that's a little too fast paced for me haha.

• i am not shocked...I have had a stylist who was great and I liked his suggestions about my hair. overall I am a bit of a fashionista so I don't think I'm surprised. I believe we're in the era where we're open about that sort of thing. one of my ex's had somewhat a good opinion of good style.

• well as for fashion.. ehh you may want someone else lol. but if you want spray tans and spray on makeup, I got you haha. and afterward ill shoe your horse, fix your car and sing country songs by the fire. that sounds like my kind of night lol

• That's really awesome. It's just unusual.

• I guess its strange because its not in the 'norm' for straight guys to do girls hair, and anything not normal is immediately looked upon as weird or strange, I think that's a pretty cool talent to have though!

-love Sosa

• yeah that's true. I enjoy it though, I like making girls look their best and then see my work in a photo shoot. its much different than sitting at a firehouse on shift lol

• I think they find that strange because us females wouldn't think straight men would be into doing things like that.

• I'd love it.

• Haha they're usually extremely shy at first. Theyre expecting Richard Simmons to walk in and instead they get dusty boots and a cowboy hat.

• I don't think its strange. I honestley think its the smartest thing ever. Guys know what looks good on a women or what THEY LIKE on a women ,so its not bad that you can make a career out of using that to your advantage. maybe if you explain it to people that way they won't think its so "strange".

• i don't know if ill ever make it a career. its just something I love to do when I'm not shoeing horses or working at the fire department. but your right, I know what specific things guys find attractive and what we hate that we never tell you lol.

• thats so cool though honestley Id love to have a guy friend do my hair and makeup and give me advice about what looks good. GUYS KNOW :) and hahah well I wish you would tell us what guys hate, help a girl out ;) lol

• It's a stereotypically gay profession, but it shouldn't be. Why does what you enjoy in the bedroom have to have an impact on what you like to do as a career? Do whatever you want and just ignore the people who can't think outside typical gender roles.

• Lol I don't know honestly a girl may be like "okay this is a little gay" because.. most straight guys can't do that stuff, afraid to admit they'd like to do it, or it's not their thing. but as long as you make it clear you're straight lol and flirt with girls occasionally while your doing it some girls may think its a hot quality LOL

• I don't think it's unusual at all. People just get really confused seeing a downhome country boy who can actually make a girl all perdy and whatnot. I know some guys who can do that too, for the longest time they got weird looks but eventually people just accepted it. By the way if the chicks know you're straight they'll think it's real cute. Not weird at all, they typically are more attracted to guys with hidden talents like yours ;)

• it's not strange, it's unusual;p

• i think its cool. for my wedding ill call you lol, people are narrow minded and stupid they c it as strange as a female body builder with bigger muscles than any guy she meets and they can't comprehend it

• I do the spray tabs on a female bodybuilder friend of mine. I think it's so sexy for her to be built. I'd love to make you up for the wedding but that entitled me to some cake haha

• hell yeah girl I love cheese cake! it better be homemade tho. where do you compete at in body building?

• oh I don't know about body building locations. and its gona be a new york style cheese cake, my fav

• You're different...that's basically it.

I don't think I've ever seen a straight male makeup artist. (I do bet there are some besides you though...I just have never seen one).

I do think it's cool though.

• Boy I wish you were my boyfriend because then I would have a personal stylist at had. There is also nothing wrong with being gay! I would love for you to experiement with me :D

• Lol come to Florida and its a date. Your right, there's nothing wrong with Being gay at all. I just love women, they drive me crazy haha.

• it's not strange! uber cute!

• Because most guys in this field are gay

• To be honest, I know straight men that do hair. I don't know any straight men that do make up, so if you were to tell me you were straight, I would not believe you. Its kinda not our fault its how society portrays men in the beauty world. Lets just be honest, over 90 percent of men that do hair and make up in Hollywood are flamboyant gay and proud men.

• Lol very true. I don't really keep up with the industry but I know the cliche.

• This is awesome. I think its because you have an outside perspective and you know what real guys like, sometimes girls get caught up in "what shade of pink is better?" and they get too caught up in minor details, I try not to get too obsessed with make up, I like to go a while without make up, just to learn to love my features and I try not to mask them.

• That is pretty awesome that you can do that! People are just jealous of your skill :) I love it when guys can do stuff like that!

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think it's strange at all man, I do a lot of my friends hair for them and I'm not gay at all, most of them really appreciate it and it also builds a trust between us. If you get to be around beautiful girls more just keep doing what you're doing, if a guy calls you gay it's because he's jealous your with the model and he's not.

• Haha true bro. I was just curious as to why people thought it was odd. I mean, what guy would want to be around beautiful women?

• Exactly :)

• Quite a lot of the time us guys don't know even how to dress ourselves or make ourselves look good. So when you can make a woman look good, its quite impressive!

• Who cares. It's not a big deal. I know straight dudes who paint their nails with their friend girls.

• It's just unusual for men to be into it that's all. At least your up there with some famous people who also like to dabble in womens make-up. I read Richard Simmons, Ricky Martin, Neil Patrick Harris (who mentioned starting his own line of make-up) & a few others so It can't be all that unusual.