My parents don't like my make-up - is it that bad?

My mother doesn't like it when I do things like wear make-up and skirts because she is self-conscious of our age gap (she's 55, I'm 18). She has gotten wrinkles in her 50s and blames me for 'aging her.' She winds herself up over it out of nowhere most days and insults me, calling me a sl*t and yells around for at least an hour. I've endured this for years and am used to it. My dad thinks she's jealous of my youth.

Today I tried out false eyelashes. My mum complained about me using them, also saying that when she was young girls didn't even wear mascara. Well, times have changed. Just look around. Girls who are way too young for it are wearing make-up, sadly, yes, but I'm 18 for crying out loud.

My dad openly said 'It looks so fake and cheap. Only the tarts of today wear them.'

Oh that's funny, I didn't know virgins could be tarts.

He is very blunt and outspoken. I hate it!

Are they really that bad?

link

I'm leaving home in a few days for university and my hall of residence (college dorm).

Would it be not good to wear them there or something if they look that bad?

I am a shy person but over the years I've been telling myself not to care what other people think of me, but it doesn't help when my father makes those kind of comments. He says 'I'll give my opinion if I want to whether you like it or not.'

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that your parents only want the best for you, but that doesn't mean that they're right. (Your dad will probably think that everything that makes you look hot is slutty, but that's because you're his little girl. I usually take it as a compliment when my dad wants me to switch outfit, ha ha ;) Ask your girlfriends and your own common sense for what you should or shouldn't wear. Also when you get to uni you'll probably notice that there are lots of different styles and personalities there, you'll find a lot of girls without make-up, but you'll also find those who doesn't show themselves without a fully painted face. You having false eye lashes will not be scandalous ^^

What Guys Said 4

• How can they talk to their own daughter like that...they need to appreciate that you're your own individual person...

• They do look great, don't you worry! Your eyes are lovely :)

You do have the freedom to choose whether to listen to what your parents tell you or not since you're grown up already. If you really feel they sound a bit old-fashioned or overly restrictive just keep going but do remember to draw the line where necessary.

I do know some girls wearing false eyelashes which look awful probably because they pick strikingly long ones and they do look artificial. Not sure whether they come in different sizes though. I'd honestly tell them if they asked for my opinion. You're not like them though.

• There's a lot of things that parent don't want us to do. Yet...we still do them...:)

Do whatcha want.

• It sounds to me like he thinks you're going to go out and do something you might regret. I think he's just worried about you. Using the "tough love" approach

What Girls Said 9

• I think those false lashes look great, completely natural but very pretty! Keep wearing them if you want to.

Also don't be afraid to experiment with make-up. Make-up can be incredibly fun! I have friends who are make-up artists and they have done my make up on different occasions.

I think living away from your parents will be good for you. I know you probably love your parents, but geesh. They are being a bit tough on you. You are 18 years old, not 4. There is nothing about the make-up in that picture that looks slutty. They are probably only worried that you will go out and do something crazy, they are just wanting the best for you.

Maybe you should tone down the make-up when you are at home, to appease them. But when you move out and go to university, well you have free reign to do as you please!

Some parents have a hard time letting go of their "little baby", They need to understand that you are growing up and are an adult now! You are capable of making decisions for yourself, and that includes your make-up. You aren't doing anything wrong or hurting anyone by wearing it.

Have fun, but maybe don't let your parents know :P If they have you on Facebook, keep the photos private so they won't see haha.

• How are you responsible for her getting older? How about that's time's fault? How about you sit them down and talk to them about it? Tell them you wanna try out mascara or eyeliner and if they really really don't like it, then you'll quit. Doesn't your mom use make up?

• I think those eyelashes are gorgeous! They really suit you. They aren't fake, cheap, or tart looking at all, they are natural and pretty :)

I think your dad may be right about being jealous, however it sounds a little like a potential breakdown... or your parents are extremely critical.

My father is the same, he tells it how it is, but he knows he lives in the past and times have changed. The less said on my mother is for the best :P

You're 18. You need to live your life, learn by your mistakes, and get to know you. If you feel pretty wearing fake lashes and have confidence, do it. Most people don't get that confidence!

If you want to conceal the lashes, you could try getting a natural brown eyeshadow to blend it in a bit, but to be honest... it's gorgeous now, if you're happy go with it :)

• They do look really great. Don't you listen to them. It would be different if they were, you know, enormous, but it is SO pretty. And your eyes are beautiful. My mother is jealous of my youth as well, so just forget it when she says something that has anything to do with that. You're beautiful.

• I think they look great. Usually I save the lashes for when I'm going out to a party, club, or bar but it's up to you where and when you want to wear them. I'm not sure why your parents say these things to you but I would speak to a counselor at university about it if it bothers you.

• I think they look nice

• I think they look good. I wouldn't worry so much about what your parents think.

• They look hot :)

• Looks amazing! What brand did you use/whered you get them? (: