I'm 22, 6'1 tall and underweight. I reach 1500 calories on a good day.

My father is skinny but his sister,brother,my mom and all her huge family aren't skinny people at all.

Even when I reach 2000 calories its only from crisps or rubbish like that.

Is this what is stopping me from gaining weight?

Most Helpful Girl

• yes, an active woman would need 1500 to lose roughly an lb a week. Well what do you eat on a typical day?

There is no point in eating unhealhty but there are lot of healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, avocados...

If you have to get those weight gainer shakes, they have a lot of calories and don't really fill you up.

Being skinny or fat doesn't have so much to do with genetics as people tend to believe. You're skinny because you're constantly on a calorie deficit. I don't know how you picked up those eating habits, but they're just that, habits. They can be changed.

Eating that little for a long time comes with serious consequences. At some point your body starts eating itself.Mainly muscle and not only the skeletal one but also the one in the inside i.e heart muscle

What Girls Said 4

• Well perhaps start adding more calorie dense food to your diet. Go for full fat products like dairy and peanut butter. You can still eat quite healthy and add in lots of good calorie dense and healthy foods. I myself am trying to lose weight, but I still eat nuts on a daily basis and avocados and sardines around 5 times a week. Why? Because they have lots of good healthy fats that are esential for important functions in the body. Plus I feel better and those omega 3-s help with stress and the less stress I have the healthier I will be. Also eat healthy carbs to help with the weight gain. Whole grains and sweet potatoes, starchy vegetables. Keep it up and you can make it happen.

• Yes it is, a grown man needs at least 2000 calories a day, and for you, probably 2500 calories a day.

You can eat more than you think surprisingly. Its not about the amount of food as much as it is the kinds of food you should be eating. Healthy, calorie dense food. Throwing in more whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, pearled barley and whole wheat bread will help. Also, protein rich foods like avocados, nuts, and cheese are all calorie dense and healthy for you.

• crap food will make you skinny because you are not actually feeding your body the nutrients it needs... or you may have organs that are not properly absorbing food, try to do some kind of cleanse, my favorite is a juice fast or just eat fruits for a while.

• Eat more protein. Beans, peanut butter, chicken breasts are all good foods to help build muscle. 1500 isn't enough fo ra guy of your size. You may have your father's metabolism, too. You'll be glad, later when some dudes your height are on 1700 calorie diets and you still get to eat burgers and pizza ;)

What Guys Said 5

• You should get on a strength training routine that involves compound lifts to raise your testrone levels and muscle mass. Along with building your appetite (which you have to work on) You will gain weight. Eating large amounts of food and then sleeping helps. I used to be quite skinny but over time have put on a lot of muscle and at this time I can put on just about any amount of weight that I'd like.

For Calories shoot for over 1500 if your trying to gain weight. 1500 is low and not enough for weight gain or for someone who works out regularly. I don't know how much you weight or if your active but for someone working out who want's to gain weight I'd recommend 2000 calories or more. At least a gram of protein per pound you weigh.

• How do you even know you're reached 2000 calories? I eat a large kebab or a whole pizza for dinner on the same day I eat pasta for lunch and snacks in between! I don't know how much calories that is... I only know I reach some limit when I feel my belly stretching to its max. By the way I'm normal weight whos only exercise is walking to a nearby train station/ bus stop.

On a more serious note, if you are skinny, I suggest eating proper food and bulking up...

• Yes. That's not enough to gain weight.

• Yes. 1500 calories for a 6'1'' 22 year old man is a deficit no matter how you slice it. Eat more.

• Eat a lot of poultry, fish, meat, whole milk & eggs. You should be getting some carbohydrates and vegetables too. However, putting empty calories like chips and soda only gives you excess fat. Workout with weights and eat 6 meals a day, full of proteins and other stuff a growing boy like you need.