Is there any truth to this statement?

Families are more likely to accept significant others who look like they fit in with the family.

Do you think there is any truth to that?

I ask because it's something I've noticed and my friend mentioned.

I'll use myself as an example. My boyfriend is 6'5 and comes from a very tall. very broad family. His family is all large. They're not fat, but proportunate to their heights. His last girlfriend was loved by his family even though they only dated for four months. She was 6'1 and built accordingly. His two sisters both married men who are tall and broad like their father and they fit into the family. They practically look related.

His family claims I don't fit in. I'm 5'4 and am very slight in stature, with narrow hips and almost no curves or extra fat on me. I feel very isolated from his family during gatherings even though he and I have been together for a year and a half.

So this leads me to this question.

So what do you think? Do families tend to be more accepting of those who look like they'd fit into the family?

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't think it's about looks. I think it is more that they like someone whose background/personality/beliefs etc fit in. if it's ONLY about the look that's quite shallow because a relationship works between two people based on personality, life goals, ambitions, etc...not how they look.

example if two people have very different views and goals in life they will have a more difficult time sustaining a relationship even if they look alike.

What Guys Said 2

• "Families are more likely to accept significant others who look like they fit in with the family."

CLOSED-MINDED Families WHO LACK SELF AWARENESS AND INDULGE THEIR BIASES are more likely to accept significant others who look like they fit in with the family.

There, fixed it for you.

• That's how it should be except most girls give you something like the "you're like a brother to me. I could never date you" speech under these circumstances, which has absolutely no validity whatsoever.

What Girls Said 2

• If you're the same race and culture then I doubt they are saying you don't fit in based on looks.maybe it's your personality

• Obviously.