Do all Asians look the same to you?

Question to Asians and non-asians,

do all Asians look the same to you or can you tell the difference whether someone is from east asia or southeast asia. Can you tell which country the person is from?

I'm southeast Asian and about 70% of the time people - even the smart ones - think I was either Chinese or japanese. Is it really that difficult for people to tell the difference?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's so hard to tell us a part I can't even tell if I'm man or woman when I look into the mirror. It's so frustrating. :P I kidd, I kidd, keep your panties on.

I can tell us all apart once we start to talk from which part of Asia your from, but I know that doesn't go for most folk.

I have had friends from many nationalities like Chinese (mandarin, catonese, haka, punti), Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean , Japanese, Philipino, Indian, Pakistani and Malaysian.

I do mistake Thai and Vietnamese sometimes though, because I don't hear those languages enough here, to tell them apart.

Unless your like me who speaks only Dutch and not his native parents language, because neither can speak it also you can get pretty frustrated from where I'm from, lol.

I know a couple of Chinese guys who only speak English and nothing else, because their parents only spoke English while growing up in the U.S.

So it's not unheard of and surprising that some people from other nationalities adopt the language of the country they now live in for a couple of generations.

What Guys Said 15

• Yes, it's hard to tell the difference since most Asians have really dark hair, eyes, and fairly similar facial features. There aren't blondes, redheads, etc., people are a little more uniform than in Europe or North America.,

That said, I can usually tell the difference between Chinese people and Vietnamese or Thai people--but you know, there are a lot of ethnic Chinese still in those countries, and they have mixed with the local population for centuries. I'm not Asian, but Asians also have difficulty telling the nationality of a person at first sight.

• I've been to china before so I can diffirenciate somewhat, I'll be able to recognise people being Chinese opposed to not Chinese however I can't always place them in their respecitve countrys if they aren't Chinese purely because I haven't been to the country thus am not as familiar with their distinguishable features. If that made any sense, that'd be ace!

• I think it comes down to exposure. There was a time when I thought Asians looked similar but then I got into Asian film and now I see very big differences between people. The more you're exposed to people the more you can pick out differences.

I had a friend from Canada who is Caucasian and traveled to Japan and people thought he looked like Tom Cruise. This guy is about as far away from Tom Cruise as he can possibly get in my opinion but it goes to show that the lack of exposure goes both ways.

I remember reading a psychological article about this very subject but I can't remember what it was called but it was very interesting. They showed how we identify and indeed look closer to features we are most exposed to.

• Actually I don't think that all Asians look alike at all. They all have varying features which distinctly define them. Of course there are some who are similar in looks, but that's the case with every race.

• Yeah like Koreans have single eyelids and high cheekbones, Japaneses tend to have double eye lids with various high or normal cheekbones.

• I can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. But I can tell the difference between them and Philipino, but not always.

• I'm Asian, and all Asians look differently to me.

And it's really easy to tell if a person is from Japan, China, or Korea. Above else, it's hard.

• On the surface level, yes they sort of look same. But I can tell the difference vaguely. It is a tough job for me, though, to spot the difference in terms of nationality. In terms of individuals, I can spot the difference.

• I can tell the difference between philipino, but korean/japanese/Chinese are harder.

• They all look the same to me, no offense.

• Actually yes, when it comes to oriental Asians and NOT Indians or persians you know what I mean

Have you seen their army parades? They all look like identical puppets!

• lol One day I showed an old school picture of mine to a friend who is also 100% asian, only born and raised in Germany. We were all wearing uniforms in the photo. She said "omg, you all look the same! Everyone has black hair and pretty much the same skin color. How do you know who's who?"

But what I was asking was whether you could tell which part of asia someone's from. And yes I mean oriental asians. Although I also could sometimes tell the Indians, Nepalese and Sri Lankans apart.

• Each nationality has a slight difference in the way they look.

• wonderful2nite, I feel like I want to punch you. But since that's not possible, I'm blocking you instead. thanks for your very offensive comment.

• Yeah for the most part lol

• I notice the difference in Filipinos and Indians (if you're counting them) compared to all of the other Asian countries. I don't have much exposure to Asians at all.

Can you say that when you see a European, you can tell what country they are from? What about Africans?

• Europeans, I could sometimes tell whether they are from the Scandinavian countries or from east Europe, or whether they're from Italy/Spain. I could also sometimes tell French people.

• We Asians also can't find the difference between Europeans and Americans based on their looks :p

• I have hard time figuring out between Pakistanis and Chinese

• I know this is not a politically correct or nice answer but Asian people look all the same to be, black people look all the same to me, American- Indian people too. I hope that is not an offensive thing to say, I'm just being honest. It probably has to do with everyone being white where I live and I'm not exposed to other races all that much. Although I do have black little girls as cousins and they're adorable <3 Someteimes on TV shows I think it's one black person in the show, then I realize it's actually two characters, played by different people. They just look so similar.

• no, that's ok... you said it in a nice way, not like a certain person above who commented on an answer..

I guess it makes sense that whether or not you can tell the difference depends on your exposure (lol) I also used to think black people all look the same, but then a Kenyan friend explained to me that West Africans are bigger, taller and have louder booming voices than east Africans. I think it's Interesting.

What Girls Said 7

• Until I was in middle school, I couldn't differentiate.

I thought all Asians look the same.

Once I told my Asian friend "Is that girl your Twin?"

lol but she was just her friend.

My mother can't differentiate too.

She told her Asian friend "You all look the same to me".

But her Asian friend replied: "Yeah we Asian think you look the same too.." xD

But since I'm interested in Asian stuff. Now I can tell without any doubt.

I can't imagine how I thought those girls were twins before. xD

Now I can tell who is from Japan, who is from Korea,

who is from Indonesia (southeast Asia).. etc. ^-^

But I guess Chinese people have a look which is between

Japanese look and Korean look.

So "sometimes", very few times.. I can't guess. ^-^

• take a guess at me then

• Different good or bad o.o?

• LoL it's okay!

It's just that Asian tend to have kinda smaller bone structure.

But I don't think a smaller one would suit you. This's better. ^-^

• Studies have shown that people often think of groups they weren't largely exposed to as homogenous, so it IS normal for westerners or non-Asians to think Eastern Asians look alike. It's the same with Hispanics. White people just assume all Hispanics are Mexican or Spanish.

There are physical differences(nose, skin color, facial structure, stature) and the way Hispanics speak Spanish(Mexicans speak different from Colombians, Salvadors speak different from Peruvians etc).

To me, no, I can tell the differences. I look at the eye shape(for Koreans and Japanese it's a giveaway), skin color(not always accurate), nose shape, face shape, lips and the cheeks.

It's easiest for me to differentiate between Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Laotians and Nepalese(even though that probably doesn't count right?).

With Malaysians, I haven't been exposed to them enough. Same for Cambodians or Thai, although if I were to go through pics on google images I would pick up on the physical differences pretty quickly.

• I can easily tell the difference between people (Like, I won't get people confused or anything), but I have a bit of trouble with the specific area of origin. I think I'm pretty confident with Korean and Japanese, but the others are a bit hazy...

• koreans and japanese are look the same.filipinos,indonesians,malaysians are look the same.

• wow, this is a really old question lol Found it on google? =D

• No.of course I know I'm an asian. :p

• Sometimes/..

• If you live in Asia long enough, you'll realize many do not look the same and you'll be able to tell the difference (but some have missing twins..)

• I am Asian and I do think it is possible to know which part of Asia are they from, just from look. But sometimes, it's not so easy to tell.