Why do women have to look good?

Don't worry this isn't a bitter question haha. I really don't mind having to shave my legs do my hair and makeup ect, but I am curious why looking extra nice is a custom for women. Men just need to be clean really to be acceptable but most girls must doll themselves up to be considered attractive in society's eyes. I think also it has to do with woman liking to look nice, but what has caused this? Does anyone have a psychological or scientific reason for this?

Most Helpful Guy

• At the most fundamental level, the man's role is to protect/provide, and the woman's role is to bear children to carry on the bloodline. Therefore women want to have physical attributes which suggest they will bear healthy children. You said "Men just need to be clean" - in some senses this is true, because a man's attractiveness is often judged on his perceived ability to protect, and not the cuteness of his face.

What Guys Said 7

• I think that BOTH men and women have to be physically attractive to a potential mate or their partner. Quite often physical attraction has to be mutual in order for anything to flourish. I realize that women tend to do a lot more to prepare for a night out or date, but that doesn't mean the man is without some responsibility as well. I think it's safe to say that hygiene is a mutual requirement.

Generally, women do have to do more shaving, such as legs, armpits. A lot of them wear make-up, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a necessity for him as it my be for her. Perhaps she wears make-up to make her feel better and more confident about herself. In that aspect, just because it's seemingly a requirement for her doesn't mean that it's a requirement for him. He may admire her for her natural look.

Hairstyles differ between genders. Some guys wear their hair short, and the fact that they're guys, pretty much limits the various hairstyles a guy can explore. For the guys who do wear their hair long, it's just a matter of keeping it neatly groomed and presentable. Women's hairstyles on the other hand are generally more expressive. They have so many different variations in order to achieve the desired look. The time spent on their hair is often determined by what style they wish to wear their hair in.

Clothing for guys is a lot simpler. Guys basically need to make sure that their outfits are presentable and don't clash between styles and colors. We don't need to make sure the earrings match the color of the outfit. Women often do this as well as other accessories, like bracelets, bangles, shoes, purse, earrings, necklaces, rings all have to blend in somewhat to the outfit they're wearing.

Then depending on the theme of the date, the outfit, will determine the shoes. Color and heal length. If they want to showcase their legs, then they may opt for higher heels. If they're dressing for comfort then it's flats or a lower size heel. Guys generally just need shoes to match the outfits and high tops just don't really change the physical image of the guy as much as heels do for women.

Then there's the decision of what to wear. Guys tend to have a general idea of what they're going to wear because our wardrobe options aren't as vast. Women tend to always be second guessing their select outfit because they want to set a certain image and look the best they can.

I don't know of any psychological or scientific reasons why we all do what we do for the perspective mate. I do know that while guys are concerned about their image, it's more of a self pride and a certain look or style he likes to project or feel comfortable in and his concern is only for himself and his date. Women seem to be more concerned with how they see themselves, how their family and friends, other women, almost society as a whole see them. They want to be unique and stand out. Rarely will you see guys get upset because another guy is wearing a similar shirt

• There are many valid points here already. No one has mentioned that almost always, the guy has to start a conversation and the woman does not wish to be first to approach a guy. That habit alone makes it all the more important that the woman uses her appearance to attract attention. If you don't care spend so much time on your appearance, then learn how to approach guys and start a conversation. You would be amazed at how many men would be willing to go out with you if you asked. Of course, you have to get used to rejection, as well. I think all women should ask men out and face several, no thank you's to better understand how guys think.

• I actually don't enjoy being approached and dot approach others. But I think it luckily is starting to balance out more. But still it's nice to have some cultural things still in place

• Years of women being socialized to accentuate their attractive qualities in order to find a husband. Now that women have goals beyond this it as much about feeling good about themselves and how they are presenting themselves as trying to attract a mate. It is also a huge business (fashion/beauty) so these norms will persist as long as companies keep being able to market these products profitably. I personally like a minimal use of makeup and an overall natural appearance. But as a guy I have to admit I probably don't even realize what most girls have on or not, especially if they do it well.

• I have a biological reasoning for it. Women want to attract a mate (even if they say they don't) subconsciously they are trying to look their best in order to attract a mate. Further on from their is competition through society to look the standard or better. Women buy all sorts of cloths and shoes to look attractive.

What females find attractive in males differs in that females generally find wealth, healthy body, alpha (or out going) personality attractive. Males are more visual, females are visual but also look for a man that is stable, protective and can provide.

Really not so far from animals just a lot of other factors thrown in there.

• by sosciety norms woman should be gentle fragile caring

while man should provide

but I think both genders put effort in looking good,

you have no idea how long it takes me to style my self to look like I don't care how I style myself :3

• What do you mean men just have to be clean?

You have no experience of being an unattractive male so you should really not make assumptions like that. I wish I was allowed to hide behind make up.

• Uh yeah that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. And I mean they just need to frees clean and shower and everything. Shave too I suppose. But women need to do extra. And I'm not even complaining I don't have an issue with it and if I didn't like doing it I wouldn't anyways. I just am curious as to the scientific reason for this in our culture.

• SOME men don't need any help to be attractive, similarly SOME women don't need to wear make up to be attractive. Doesn't mean ALL men wouldn't benefit from a more level playing field.

• But I'm not talking with the men tht do I'm talking about social expectations.

• Because attractiveness is nice when it comes from the inside and or the outside. People want to feel comfortable around other people and having an attractive personality or looks can make more people at ease.

Women have it in their genes to make themselves the most attractive so they can be chosen by a man. It’s what they strive for while men strive for finding the most beautiful woman they can get. But in truth it’s actually the woman that picks the man because of her limited time to mate, she becomes more picky.

So to answer your question maybe, it's mostly biological, women want to look good because it increases their chances to find a better mate. Same goes for men but not in the same intense sense, because men attract women in other ways then just looks.

Women mainly want security while men mainly want the most beautiful creature they can find to invest their security (semen) in, in the womans "vault" but she won't open the vault unless it's something of value to put in.

Penis wants to go into vagina and vagina wants penis and therefore the species goes on..

Hahah and I just got carried away again..

What Girls Said 1

• It's interesting, because in nature, usually the males are the ones that look super nice to attract the females. For both men and women, there is certainly an expectation about appearance. Men are supposed to be well-built, have masculine features, be tall, etc. Whereas women have to be beautiful, well-dressed, etc. I think it comes down to society and society's expectations. Women are seen in society more for our appearance. It's sad but true. You rarely hear people comment on a male comedian's looks, but you hear comment's about a female comedian's looks.

• I like your answer. Thinking about animals. It is weird. But then again, guys tend to need high stature and stability for females so it's sort of being "flashy" like animal males