Are running shoes actually beneficial for well.... running?

seems a bit of a stupid question, but I've been reading a lot online and most of the studies showed that you don't need $200 running shoes, but just the correct running form. Do these shoes really offer any advantage? I have never tried a pair.. what do you know?

Most Helpful Guy

• Shoes offer a lot of support to your achilles tendon, and reduce injuries in that regard. However, they increase the risk of a knee injury, or fibula/tibia injury (from rolling your ankle).

The reason people roll their ankles is because of shoes.. shoes aren't round, they have edges.. so when you step on the edge of a road, if enough pressure is applied to the edge of the shoe, it snaps over quickly potentially causing a bad ankle injury. This doesn't happen 99% of the time barefooted because there is no edge on your foot that can create that snapping action.

Shoes also make the runner heel strike on each step (because the heel-to-toe ratio), which is improper running form. Barefooted is the best way to correct running form, because you won't want to heel strike since it'll hurt. You'll also learn to be "light on your feet" which will alleviate knee pain.

The difference between just any shoe and a running shoe-- well it differs from shoe to shoe.. but mostly running shoes won't cover your ankle as much, giving it more range of motion and they'll be lighter.

In my honest opinion, barefoot running is the healthiest option. It is a little difficult starting up, because you won't be use to running barefooted and you'll likely have weak ankles.. but they'll get stronger. You'll also suffer terrain abuse initially, but that gets better too (as I said before, you'll naturally learn proper form and become "light on your feet").

So conclusion: Do they help over regular shoes? Yes-- they're lighter and cover your ankles less. Are they better than nothing? No-- unless you're afraid of mockery or any type of negative attention you might receive by running a little differently than the rest.

What Girls Said 2

• I think what ever fits good and feels good on your foot

• I am actually a running specialist and I can tell you that generally price does not make the shoe better. You will find some higher priced ones feel better though. That's a huge misconception I hear from customers all the time.

Look into if you need stability or neutral types of running shoes. Most people who are flat footed pronate which means one would need to be stabilized with a stability shoe.

My favorite brand of running shoes are Mizuno. Under Armour are great for training not so much running. New balance is a favorite among some but I see them more for a trail or walking shoe. Nike is horrible with running and should only be worn for less than a few hours. The cushion just does not last in them.

• Is Nike really that terrible? I've been tempted to buy some Frees for a while because they seem so light, cushiony and comfortable. Steve Prefontaine wore the first pairs of Nike brand shoes too, so it crushes me to think that after all theses years, their shoes aren't good. I've been wearing Asics for the longest time. Hence, they fit like a glove but they're a bit bulky for my taste. I have a normal stride (not landing on my heel or toes, not overpronator), so my Asics still look brand new.

• Curious about your opinion on Asics for long distance road/trail running.

What would be a good brand/model for long distance Track spikes, 800m, 1600m, 3200m type races?

• Asics are a great running shoe as well as a classic starter for those starting out. I think the best trail shoes would have to be Merrells. They are light weight but provide cushion as well. Asics makes a good trail running shoe called the Kahana.

What Guys Said 12

• Not exactly. Oftentimes they cause more injury, unless you practice barefoot beforehand.

Ever wonder why you have massive calves and a super-strong achilles tendon? Your calves aren't for moving, they're shock absorbers. When you run barefoot, you keep off your heals, almost like you're running slightly tip-toed. The combination of foot design, tendon, and calves absorb the impact, so that your shins, knees, thighs, and back don't take as much of a hit.

But when people run with shoes, they get lazy and land on their heels. When you land on your heals, only a small amount of shock is absorbed by the heel of the shoe. The majority of the impact still goes through your shins, knees, thighs, and back. This causes ankle problems, shin splints, arthritis of the knees, and can cause back injuries over time. This is most of the injuries runners sustain.

If you want good shoes to practice in, get some 5-fingered shoes, or try barefoot. Practice staying light on your feet and away from your heels. pull yourself up instead of leaning forward. If you do it right, it makes running a lot easier and a lot less painful, so you can do it longer.

• If you do a lot of running, on hard surfaces, you need a pair of shoes that will give you suppport, or you'll risk injuries. No, you don't need $200 shoes unless you have structural problems with your feet...a pair of New Balance shoes wouldn't be more than $60-$70

• You do not need to spend $200 on any shoe... Rip off. You can get a good shoe for $50. I run in basic skate board type shoe that was $30. I've ran all sorts of distances in it. For trail running or hiking I run in a boot/sneaker hybrid. link It kind of looks like this I don't feel like going downstairs to look up the label.

If you have a good stride the shoe is not going to make a big difference. Your goal is important to consider. Long distance running or sprinting ect...

link Watch this mans channel if you want to get into the science of your stride.

• Yeah depending on the way or walk and your knees or something, different soles can help support you differently. Some soles are flatter and some round off a little toward the inside. I think if you want to seriously run, I would go to a running shoe store with guys that will evaluate your walk to help get your shoes. I live in an expensive area and those types of does start at $100. 200 sounds high.

My physical medicine doctor told me 90% of people don't have ideal foot arches and should use support.

• In my experience, the shoes that run from about $30-60 a pair are made from cheaper materials and don't give you as much support or hold up over time like the $90-$120 a pair ones (even with brands like New Balance). There is a huge world of difference between Nike shoes (made for appearance) and New Balance shoes (made for proper support and comfort) as well. That said if you shop at the right time of year there are buy one get one free sales or last years $100 models are on sale for about half off to dump inventory so you can get the higher quality shoes at the better price. There really is a world of difference in how the soles of your feet feel, how often you get impact injuries like shins splints and knee aches, and how often you get blisters from my experience. Getting a quality shoe that fits right is important if you plan to run a lot. Most athletic shoes aren't $200 though. That range of athletic shoe is usually for diabetics to prevent sores on their feet.

• Start somewhere. Don't spend 200 bucks just like that. Shoes don't last forever. Buy yourself a decent quality, decently priced pair of shoes that are comfy and that you believe are right for you.

• Well I got a pair of reebok from amazon for $80 8 months ago and they are pretty good I like em a lot .i run daily at the gym for 60 minutes 4-5miles. I think the benefits are that they are really light So its easy to run and I don't get tired as fast as I use to in pair of sneakers. ill definitely get another pair soon. and yeah there are cheaper shoes than $200.I personally wouldn't spend $200 on pair of shoes specially running shoes.

• $200 running shoes?! Lol must be made out of gold.

I wear Nike Pegasus 29 running shoes, $65 and they are very comfy and soft, shoes like that help a lot and are much more comfortable to run long distances in compared to a pair of basketball shoes.

• You're feet won't ache as much and hopefully the shoes will last. Its up to you if its worth it or not. They are just shoes.

• the slight wedge in the shoe give you a more fluid form and the arch support helps a lot too

• The absorb the shock of your feet hitting the ground better. I doubt you need to spend $200 though.

• running shoes certainly help, but you don't NEED to spend 200 on them.