Why do guys presume that female fashion revolves around men?

Does it ever occur to them that women might dress or look a certain way because THEY like it, and not simply because they are trying to attract guys? I heard a guy saying that guys don't like weird hair colors, so girls shouldn't dye their hair like that. Why are they so possessive? It's as if a girl's body BELONGS to them, and they have no right to do things to it unless guys like those things. Why can't girls just dress for their own tastes, and not guys'?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they are self-absorbed and maybe even borderlining arrogance.

I hate it when people assume I'm wearing a cute outfit because I want male attention otherwise I would just look like a slob, not care and throw on sweatpants and a t-shirt. FYI, I sincerely love putting outfits together! I like wearing outfits that accentuate the pros of my body FOR ME because it makes me feel sexy and feminine. Not because I want to please and impress a bunch of strangers who will be in my 21 years of life for all of 2-5 minutes. smdh

What Guys Said 29

• I think you're generalizing just a bit. If some guys have given you the idea that women dress solely to impress/attract men then those guys are clearly douche bags and they seem to have gotten to you. Although it may seem like it, not all of us are douche bags.. It is actually proven that women tend to dress fashionably to compete with other women. Not sayin that's the only reason, but it's a large factor. I'd also like to add that it's actually womens fashion that drives the clothing Industry and Influences mens clothing and that crazy colored highlights in a womans hair is single handedly the sexiest thing a woman can do, at least I find it an extreme turn on :)

• I hear what you're saying. I think most guys feel that girls dress up the way they do for other girls. Or rather to out peacock other girls. I know that you want to feel like you have independent thought but in reality girls do dress up to attract a mate and deter competition. Don't feel bad about that though as guys do the exact same thing. The way we dress us to attract a certain type of mate, it's all biology in the end. This in no way means that you should conform to what these guys are saying, you dress the way you do to attract the type of male (or female) that you desire. So in the end those guys are helping you out. They are helping you weed them out as potential mates. So don't be mad, just laugh at their stupidity and move on to a dude who thinks you are smokin'. This is general advice for everyone though and not just you

• I think it has to do with projection more than anything else. If I'm dressing for myself, it's jeans and old t shirts all the way. The only reason I EVER dress up (and I mean new Polo shirt here for God's sake, I wear a suit at weddings and funerals) is for the benefit of a woman.

What I do for you, I can reasonably figure you are doing for me too. Of course I've known for most of my life that this not the case.

• Yoga pants would be a perfect example of what you are talking about I guess. If you ask girls why they wear them most would say because they are comfortable and casual. Whereas a lot of guys would see a girl in yoga pants and think those are showing a lot, so she most be wearing them to get attention from guys. Also, growing up most guys are not ordinated in any kind of fashion sense or knowledge at all and its not like your mom sits down with you and explains why women dress a certain way. This is also the fact that a lot of guys think women dress for men, but if you ask most women they will probably say they dress for other women/themselves. While I do see your point, I see no problem with a guy being able to express his opinion on what a girl wears, but there is a difference between giving a opinion and making someone dress a certain way.

• Dunno about you, but when I do dress up I dress to kill and getting compliments from the ladies makes me feel good.

So in a way I do dress for the ladies when I go out, I myself have no fashion sense what so ever, so I always let my queer eye buddies at this men's boutique dress me up.

I'm like a peacock, lol.

• Who the hell ever said that girls dress for guys? We all know that you dress for other girls.

• Of course they can. Every girl has heard that probably 99% of guys don't like uggs. But, I still see girls wearing them very often. I'm sure there are plenty of other things girls wear because THEY like it. Oh, nail polish is another exmple. Most guys havr said that they rarely, if ever pay attention to girls nail polish. But, girls still paint them because THEY like it. So, yes.

• Not at all. Most men are slothful mopes. I naturally assume all things revolve around me. Oh, change your shirt!

• Womens fashion is based on what guys like. Notice most show off or bring attention to assets of a female. Heels make a woman look taller so she is noticed and raises/draws attention to backside. cleavage draw attention to breast and skirts show off legs ect...

I don't believe female fashion revolves around me. I do however think womens fashion revolves around sex appeal.

• Heels were invented by a man that wore them to show everyone how much better he was than everyone eles...

and truefully most girls dress for other women not guys, mostly because when other girls comment on you looking good it's like they noticed your colors matching, fabric that flatters you ect. while when most guys complement you it's because they can see your legs, ass, and boobs :(

• Heels were invented in circa 1700s for french horsemen. Then the military adopted it for uniform. Then it caught on with women eventually...

I think it's a little of both. I will say that if men were not even in the picture to begin with women would not care about fashion what so ever. It was orignally a way for a woman to attract a mate now its a sign of social status and fad as well.

• For someone who dresses just for herself, you don't seem too happy with such comments. So let me get this straight all the trouble girls go through, all the trouble you go through to look good, you're saying its just for yourself? You go through all this trouble not for yourself but to be more attractive to the opposite sex, to be more appealing to opposite sex, to be desired by opposite sex. Which is natural and nothing wrong with that. If you just dressed for yourself you wouldn't give a sh!t what those guys thought. You would NOT go through ALL this trouble just to look good for yourself now would you?

Guys being possessive you kidding me. Guys chase girls, guys play the game, girls are pursued. They have complete control. In what way guys have any influence or control over girls? So suddenly guys shouldn't have any opinion at all on what they like or prefer. Girls make such comments all the time. Are those girls being possessive and guys bodies belong to them?

Fact that it bothers you is proof itself those opinions and comments matter, that actually looking good for yourself, and looking good to make yourself feel better, in fact consciously or subconsciously is to be more attractive and appealing to the opposite sex. If that wasn't the case you simply would not put in this much effort. You wouldn't shave your legs, get your eyebrows waxed, get your hair done, try to put so much thought into what you're going to wear, wear make up etc.

Imagine if their was an island where there were no guys, just girls (all straight). Would go through all this trouble and dress for yourself? I seriously doubt it. You wouldn't even care what your hair looks like and would put on the first thing you can find. Guys do it too, I do it too. I certainly don't do it for myself, and there is nothing wrong with trying to look attractive for opposite sex. There is simply more pressure on girls than guys, because girls are objects of desire. Guys do the pursuing. For them to get noticed by guys they have to be appealing. If girls did the chasing same amount of pressure be on guys too.

You argument is further contradicted with all the magazines targeted at women. What is the most common theme? Guys have all the right to make comment just as girls do, but that doesn't mean guys should be morons about it. The fundamental, basic reason and what all this revolves around is attracting guys. Otherwise like I said you would seriously go through all this trouble just to look good for yourself?

• I know very little about fashion so how a girl wants to dress is up to her, lol. I would never try to dictate to a girlfriend what she can or can't wear, that's ridiculous. Having said that, if she's wearing something really bizarre or inappropriate given the context, I will express my opinion (just as I would compliment her if she wore something I really liked).

• Most young men are horny as hell and will not consider having a hairstyle that would interfere with them getting laid.

• I concur, Pallor. I understand that most women dress mainly for each other. Women may show off or accent certain features of her outfit/hair/makeup to attract guys, but that's only for special occasions.:-P

• I never really thought of that until you brought it up. To an extent maybe that female fashion does have something to do with attracting men, but to a fairly small extent. I believe at the end of the day, the way a woman dresses is because she likes it.

• Generally speaking, men and women dress up to signal social status, express individuality, and to attract members of the opposite sex. Guys presume that female fashion revolves around men because many women "dress up" in ways that display their assets in ways that leads people to assume she's doing it to attract attention (which she is, but not in a sexual kind of way).

• Possessive? No different than girls are always complaining about guys wearing saggy jeans or w.e

• A gal should dress for herself and no one else, and not just to attract guys.

On the "flip side"... two words "yoga pants"

• Because fashion does not exist outside of a sexual context.

• ok that is true, but when you dress up to go out or even you dress up to look "sexy", you know you dress up to attract attention. I mean nobody wants to wear those very uncomfortable high heels and short and tight dress just because they like it.

• I'll bet my nuts that this is a rhetorical question and you aren't looking for a real answer.

I agree with your statement (not question) though.

• No.

• You have every right to dress how you want to dress. Go and do it! :)

• They go hand in hand

• God damn it, we don't. We know it's so you dumb broads can judge and slut shame each other to establish your pecking order.

Even when you are talking about female to female warring, it's still somehow men's faults. Just shut up with your shrill whining.

• They revolve their fashion around competing with other women and then attracting men then for themselves.

• "Does it ever occur to them that women might dress or look a certain way because THEY like it, and not simply because they are trying to attract guys?"

Sure, except you rarely do. Don't kid yourself.

• Fashion is all a social preferencing. And as long as attraction involves the preferencing of both genders, fashion will reflect it. This goes along with the portrayal and socialization of genders, like the sexualization of girls and women in media, etc.

It would be quite a find to discover someone who's fashion is completely free from the social influences from the opposite gender.

• Stop kidding yourself.

If you were the only person in the world you'd have your makeup in the garbage and hair growing out your ass.

• It usually does...not always

If it didn't at all, I'd think you were gay

What Girls Said 7

• Preeeeach! It is so self-absorbed for hem to think that! I like to wear cute clothes because fashion is fun to play with. I love putting interesting colors together and coming up with something fresh and creative! To be honest, I couldn't care less if they give me attention seeing as most of hem are pigs! The only time I care is when I'm actually into the guy

• They're so vain. They think this wardrobe is about them

• Like Betsey Johnson said:

link

• All I'm gonna say in reply to Betsey Johnson's stupid comment ... Lingerie!

For rest feel free to read my stupid answer.

• I know I wear what I feel most comfortable in and what I think looks nice

• The thing that irritates me is when guys say perverted things.

• Thank you!

• that isn't being possessive that is being self centered. possession implies ownership.

anyhow, there is a presumption that people generally want to look attractive to find a mate, if they don't already have one, and even if they have one they want the mate to be sexually attracted to him or her.

my main purpose is to look good in a way that I like but if I know what I wear looks heinous to men I probably won't wear it, because if I know it looks weird that would make me feel silly.