Is there a solution to black people's hair?

Does anyone els agree with me that having African American hair just plain sucks and you just deal with it. So you relax it cause its hard to manage at least that's what I did most of my life. Then I got sick of it cause it was always dry. I'm thinking every other race has similar hair and I'm sure get no where near as dry as black peoples hair, asian, Indian, white, Hispanic, Indian, ect. women do not have to do what we do just to have it decent. Yet no one can admit it sucks. Wait before you say oh well you don't moisturize it enough or go natural. But that's my point no one els has to do as much care to there hair to make it just decent and I went natural that stuff gets so dry in one day it like you literally have to spritz it with water every day till its soaked just to wake up and do it again. Not to mention the down time you have to have to just comb it out and put it into a protective style like I don't have time for all that for it to not look how I want it to look. Eventually it just got to long after I did the big shave and I relaxed it again. Great back to breakage I mean you have that combing your natural hair too. So I guess when it comes down to it you can never have easy to manage hair and healthy hair that's also long when your black am I wrong ha ha what do you guys think about having this type of hair weather it be relaxed or natural (=.

ps. extension and sow ins I don't have money for that right now I don't have a job plus I feel like no one els has to do this unless they just want longer hair.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 6

• From one black person to another; wetting our grade of hair with water makes it more nappy and more difficult to manage (our grade of hair secretes less oil, which is why African descent people rarely if ever gets lice).

No wonder you were having difficulty managing a natural hairstyle; you (accidentally) kept napping your hair up! :-P

--------

If you ever go to a "health and beauty" section of any store, there's a wide variety of products there for hair, so don't think that non-African descent people don't have to do stuff to their hair, too!

I would talk to family members and female friends that have your same "grade of hair", so you can get some tips. There's PLENTY of products for our grade of hair.

--------

I can give you some tips (stuff I've learned from watching my mom, my sister, ex-gfs, and female friends).

One of the best de-tanglers for everyday use is Baby Love; although it has kids on the bottle, it's also usable on adult hair as well. It's good to use everyday because it's not oily, so you won't get any greasy build-up in your hair. Plus it makes your hair have a healthy glow. :)

If your hair is extra dry, then there are oils specifically made for black hair, that you can use.

We use Blue Magic hair oil in our household to oil our scalp (this doesn't have to be done everyday btw).

---------

For a shampoo and conditioner to use, many black females I have known, use the brand Motions.

Remember that our grade of hair isn't supposed to be washed everyday (washing strips the hair of its natural oil, which our grade of hair doesn't make a lot of to begin with).

When my mom and sister perm their hair, they use the Motions brand of relaxer; I believe they use the "extra relaxer" version to make it last longer, and from what I've seen, their hair doesn't look damaged at all, nor does it "chemical burn" your scalp (as long as you time as long as you properly time how long the relaxer is in your hair).

--------

For me, because my hair doesn't grow out for any more than a month and my hair is extremely short, I use Stay-Soft-Fro hair spray (it's a bit more oily than Baby Love but my hair isn't long and I love the scent) everyday and I comb it or brush it with with a hard-bristle brush.

///////////////

I ranted alot, but hopefully I helped you with your hair issue.

• hahaha well thanks for the tips don't worry I don't wash my hair every day usually once a week and try to just wash it with conditioner even sometime or sulfate free shampoo. Well as for black hair product I don't really like them cause they usually don't have a scent to it I don't like, motions sounds good though for a conditioner and shampoo. Oil for dry hair? oil doesn't moisturize hair it just coats the hair shaft, should only be used to seal in moisture.

• An easy solution would be to stop treating your hair like a problem.

*shrugs*

• haha good mental solution(just thinking positive), and this is coming from a guy who can just shave his hair and don't deal with (:

• Oh that's cool wish I had money to just pay someone(i'm assuming)

• I do my own hair.

The only thing that tends to add up is the products themselves.

But I probably spend less on maintenance than most.

• I'm sure your hair is more difficult to control then mine but for what it's worth those of us blessed with wavy, steel wool like Scottish hair are indeed fighting with it daily.

I kind of hate wavy hair but think natural African hair looks decent. What would your hair look like if it was natural?

• i went natural too much to deal with as far as managing it and doesn't really fit my lifestyle, hahah wool Scottish hair, well I got coiled cotton dry African hair except its relaxed so you can't see my true texture, thank god its not the course type.

• I obviously don't know enough about it to really give you a helpful answer but I heard olive oil moisturiser is supposed to help a lot of black girls. I think black girl hair looks good natural best but still good relaxed, don't hate it

• haha oil is only good for sealing in moisture but is no good when there is no moisture to begin with, oil just coats the hair hair does not absorb it

• still so pretty so don't hate on the hair

• I love my natural African hair! About a year ago I stopped doing anything to it. Its dreading up real nice. I've sported the fade for my whole life so this is kind of exciting for me. I say learn to love your hair! But thats just me.

• Visit a hair salon.

What Girls Said 16

• Lol like what are you talking about I'm black and my hair isn't dry and it gets long, before I cut it it was to the middle of my back, and so do a lot of people in my family's hair. Like my hair is curly and bouncy but I've only just used olive oil or coconut oil and conditioner. Sounds like to me you're not doing it right and over processing it. And race can have this problem I've seen plenty of white girls with dry hair that can be thin or thick and frizzy. I know a lot of Hispanic Latino women and my one friend had more un-managable hair than mine. I've known some Asian girls and their hair looks nice but can be hella hard to straighten sometimes. Even on those late night when commercials or regular hair shows people tell you this stuff, so no it isn't just black people. Everyone can have hair problems. You need to stop over processing it with those perms and gels. Stop doing it everyday just put a satin rag on and oil it every other night or so at night when you sleep and don't over wash. Just get olive oil a good all natural conditioner and be patient combing not to rip your hair out. Have you heard of co-washing? You can look at the videos on YouTube maybe that can help.

• Well sure black hair may be considered unattractive and less than ideal but black women who take the time to learn about their hair, how to balance moisture/protein have no problems with having healthy hair

And yes, people of other races DO need to moisturize and take care of their hair but they don't. A lot of white/Asian/Hispanic chicks walk around with ugly looking hair but it's easier for them to mask it.

• Um there's no such thing as African American hair. I'm Afro American and I have type 3b curly hair. I have been natural since 8th grade an I love it. Everyone's hair is different, so you can't generalize a race with just one hair types. I love being natural and I think more black women should approach being natural. I love all types of natural hair. I have cousins who have 4c type natural hair, and because they have virgin hair it's super easy to set angle and style. I think their hair is beautiful. Also I think you should learn your hair type to be better educated on how to take care of it

• I understand it must be hard, my hair has a tendacy to get dry thanks to rain and wind. I experimented a lot with my hair when I was younger and thought afro hair products would be kinder to my dry hair cause of all the moisturizer, which it wasn't it made my hair drier and made my scalp itch like crazy. I don't know if you have tried tresemme or big sexy or any other products for Caucasian hair and then put some jojoba oil in your hair and let it dry in a towel, do not blow dry it. And don't wash it too often. Get some scalp either by hand or by a cushion brush, this will make your scalp produce oils that will moisturizer your hair. I don't know if this will help but it doesn't hurt to try :)

• Well I learning to love my natural hair I have never wore weave but I did wear wigs when I was transitioning to natural. I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I get compliments and crazy looks because I choose not to adhere to western beauty standards. Also, chemicals and putting relaxers in your hair and kids hair at an early age can cause fertility problems and cancer. There are different types of hair textures and you can do online research to see your hair type and what you should use to maintain it. I am not my hair I am more than that and I don't put too much emphasis on it. I will never relax/damage my hair hair again I will leave it in its natural state. I admit its a challenge but I refuse to put chemicals in my hair every time I have new growth/natural hair growing. It takes a lot of courage to go natural and keep it that way but worrying about what everyone else thinks and low self-esteem will drive you crazy.

• NaturallyCurly.com has a lot of great tips, product reviews, etc. for all hair types that have anything from a slight wave to your type of hair. It not only provides advice for styling curly, but also styling straight so you have a guide to whatever you prefer. Here's the forum: link

• Some products that people talk about on there include DevaCurl, Miss Jessie's, Jessicurl, WEN, etc.

• Sucks? Not at all. I actually love my hair and how unique it is. Whether I'm wearing it naturally curly or I straighten it. Yeah sometimes ut does require more effort because I don't relax it and don't wear weaves, but I'm way willing to go the extra mile simply because it's my hair.

• yes hairinifity , then using straightening creme with a blowdryer and it's comb attachment, make sure that you use heat protectant and that you deep condition it after you shampoo. OK you can use flat irons only to rush through to make it sleeker every morning but spray on that heat protectant ...you should have long pretty hair in no time and with volume since our hair is thick. Take care and god bless

• link

best creme to use before garnier smoothing milk and a inexpenisve serum...I know one great thins about our hair, it is volumizing even after flat irons and it can be very strong...again god bles

• All depends on what you do to it. I've always had natural hair and I love it. I recommend going on YouTube and looking at the plethora of videos about "our type" of hair. You'll learn so much!

• Weaves= that is all I can suggest.

But why don't you do your hair in one funky afro with amazing earrings. that would look hot!

• I did have my hair in an afro for a while it took forever to grow it back and relax it. If I did a afro again I would have to get rid off all my chemically processed hair and that would require me shaving it all of or getting a big chop again

• Google arosci (look up you tube videos - specifically louise pierre) or get a lace wig - when you have money. No other solution (im black myself). You could offer a stylist a skill swap, and teach them something (like a language or something), to get it for free. Sites like gumtree do this.

• False. I love my natural hair texture.

• Its not a problem so there's no solution

• I would probably prefer black hair because of its ability to hold a style. if I get curls in my hair they're gone in like a day, so yeah. I've wrapped my hair. it was a disaster. now I just roll it and put a scarf on.

• i hear some black girls like keratin treatments but I am white. I get them and I love them but I can't say how they would work on black hair.

• You're just gonna need to learn how to take care of your hair and stop comparing it to other races.

You said "no one els has to do as much care to there hair to make it just decent" but that's incorrect. If they didn't have to do so much to make their hair look decent, why are there so many different hair products and styling tools made for them? If all of them had naturally effortlessly perfect looking decent hair then the hair care/beauty industry would not be in existence.

I know you're just venting, but this question subtly reinforces the fallacy that black is inferior and will boost up racist's self esteem at the expense of yours.

Now to answer your question, everyone is going to have different hair regimens. You might be using a hair regimen that doesn't work for your hair type. I was natural too and I had to find out what worked for me, I couldn't do what Kesha did just because she was natural and Tasha can't do everything I do to my hair because our textures are unique.

To combat dryness with natural hair, you might find that you need to wet it every day. Wash your hair with conditioner (no shampoo), then kind of squeeze dry it with a cotton t-shirt until it's about 80% dry. Make sure you leave the conditioner in your hair and add gel and grease/oil/styling pomade. Your hair will stay moisturized and be cute for whatever style you put it in.

for healthy relaxed hair, deep conditioning is key. You won't always have breakage just because your hair is relaxed if you take care of it properly.

Simply put, don't downgrade yourself. I know I'd take having "nappy hair" over aging like paper mache by the time I'm 30 anyday. But you don't hear other races publicly degrade themselves for their flaws either...