Why do all girls wanna be like Marilyn Monroe?

Why do girls try to be like Marilyn Monroe or look up to her she wasn't even that attractive. I see a ton of celebrities try to take imitation photo shoots with the Marilyn Monroe look. Why do girls think its cool to be like or look like her?

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I don't want to be like her, she was a slut. And she wasn't really all that pretty, she was just confident.

What Girls Said 30

• Because of her inspirational sayings as well as not succumbing to social pressures to lose weight. She said curvy women are beautiful and she was a size 14 yet she was successful and people believed she was beautiful. I think overweight girls look up to her more than anything.

I don't really look up to her anymore after I realized she shagged everyone to get famous.

• She was considered attractive, yet was not stick thin. She offers hope for those who are on the heavier side of things.

• i think marilyn was gorgerous and I have been a huge fan since I was a kid. I don't try to look like her though. But I think a lot of celebrities look like her in photo shoots as a tribute or they have a marilyn monroe themed shoot, doesn't mean they try to be like her.

• I think its because she appeared happy in her own skin, she wasn't perfect nor did she pretend to be which made her all the more attractive.

Her personality I believe was sweet and non judgmental she was a sexy woman but not overly confident about it.

Childlike innocence but womanly curves...

Charming, sexy, sweet...Everything a woman should be in my opinion...

• She's alright. I mean, she's beautiful and all, but I don't know why she is worshipped so much. Maybe her particular retro style is admired? I also heard she had a hard life growing up but kept smiling, so maybe that's it.

• simple. She was a sex symbol in her time.

• She was a beauty icon. But she got more attention because of her voluptuous body. She proved that you don't need to be a size 2 to be considered beautiful. I agree her personal life was not something great but she can help with other woman having body image problems. Almost like a modern day Kim kardashian, she is a sex symbol.

• Because she is a sex symbol

• It like an idol to them I guess, to me it more on the confidence she had that made her really attractive.

• I sure don't that's fer sure. But I do think it was b/c she was an idol for many ppl when she was modeling, acting and singing. So many ppl probably hold her in the highest standard and they all want to be like that too. But like I said, I sure don't I'm myself and I'm good with that.

• Trust me , there are a lot of girls who don't want to be like her. Its not a good thing or a bad thing either way. I guess the ones who want to because her get she was a sex symbol and a lot of guys went crazy over her back then. Heck, people still make references to her today because of how sexy she was.

• Eww no I like being brunette thank you very much!

• EeeeyyyyeeeewwwwaaaaAAHHHHH!

• I think she is a role model to many girls because she proved that you don't need to be stick thin to have people like you and find you attractive. Also a lot of men think she is beautiful

• Really, you don't find her that attractive? I've always thought she was so beautiful

• No she is, totally hot.

• Haha I was gonna say. Well, I suppose all girls wanna be like her because we know that men desire her, and women want to be desired.

• She is iconic for a positive body image. She showed girls that you can be comfortable and confident in your skin, therefore she is a huge role model, and who doesn't want to imitate their role model?

• She was an icon and lots of women look up to her.She was a beautiful curvy woman.

• I've never been a huge fan of hers personally.

Buuut, she exuded confidence. Everyone aspires to that.

• she was a sex symbol

• it is because she was an icon of the ultimate feminine woman

• She's awesome

• Because people are followers and it'll always be like that. Someone will want to be just like someone else.

• During her time, it was beautiful to have curves and be a size 14. Nowadays models are stick thin and aren't over a size 2. I think it's just reassuring to know that there s someone for women who aren't a size 0 to look up to

• She's beautiful and sexy and confident

• She wasn't that attractive? Obviously you're blind.

• Because she was the symbol of beauty during her time and she still is somewhat today

And a lot of girls try to force their body's to fit society's definition of beautiful, Marilyn Monroe was the definition of beautiful then and unfortunately today the underweight look seems to be the definition

• She was the greatest sex symbol of all time. I certainly don't want to be like her though. I wanna be me. Sexy, curvy and beautiful in my own way.

• i think there's something classic sexy about her/ I'm not a lesbian but I understand it. also she was so famous, stars want to be like that. she started a certain trend.

• Do they? Most I've seen want to be kate moss...

• Shes a sex icon.

• I've always wondered why girls put her quotes on Facebook and such, since she was a very sad, unfortunate person. That being said, she was an icon of beauty and a talented actress. I think some people are just giving a nod to her artistic talent (the way people pay homage to say, Michael Jackson or tons of other troubled artists). Other times, I think young girls who are troubled identify with her and see her as some sort of ultimate symbol of men's desire (not realizing how vulnerable and discarded the poor thing often was).

• Yea I guess. I don't know I just don't see her as being that influential. Michael Jackson at least had a talent.

What Guys Said 7

• Because a lot of girls are idiots.

Yes I read her biography. Yes I watched the documentary.

It only helped to solidify my assurance that you're an idiot.

• because she was confident, actually ate something, and had curves in all the right places. she was a WOMAN not a fat ass or stick figure.

• She was a huge sex symbol. Think about how many men found her desirable, because she was confident and comfortable in her own skin.

• because obviously your opinion of her being unattractive is stupid. you think that many people are wrong and you are right? get over yourself

• She also had plastic surgery

• She is blond (a lot of women seem to think that men like blondes more then any other women) and she was famous not only for her looks, but was talented and very smart (but it seems like people just want to remember her for her looks) Also, she died at a young age and before she was supposed to. In history if you die young/before your time you can get remembered even more and be more immortalized because of the potential that was lost and what could have been. (See: Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Robert Kennedy, MLK, Kurt Cobain, etc.) Then she is also in one of the most famous movie scenes ever in the seven year itch. The one every one refers to when a female celebrity meets any gust of wind. link This is considered a Marilyn moment, a more real one that happened would be link She is like the female actress that everyone strives to be. I guess a male example would be Alexander the Great. Guys like Julius Caesar, Trajan, Charlemagne, Augustus and Nero were obsessed with him and wanted to be like him, even though they were all very powerful and well known. Same concept with famous actresses now wanting to emulate her.

• Perhaps, they also want to get famous.