Do you think that people who are perfect for each other look alike physically?

I have always noticed that people who truely love each other and never break up are those who look alike. what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have noticed something similar. Over time couples also have a tendency to blend their styles into one as they bond, like they may have matching shirts or may both dress like they stepped straight out of the 1950s in the case of the elderly. Psychologically people seek familiarity, understanding, and acceptance (with the exception of the bad boy complex which is not necessarily about being with a good/bad person as much as it is about the excitement of a new and unfamiliar experience). My personal theory regarding Freud's Oedipus Complex and not Freud's but a different psychologist's Electra Complex is people aren't subconsciously after their parents; they seek people with whom they are more familiar and used to, those they were close to as they were developing, I believe that people are just generally more comfortable with what they know and are used to so they may be more prone to say dating someone that physically or personality-wise resembles an instructor they were close to and helped by as a child for example.

I am not in a position to conduct a study to test my theory or aware of similar research regarding my theory so for now it's just my theory.

• hmm, yea I learned about that but never gave a complete thought of it. It's an interesting theory though. I personally think people chose partners by comparing it to their parents. Children notice the flaws and good sides of their parents' traits, and throught that they seek for the perfect mate, someone who possibly doesn't have those flaws of their parents, but someone who has the similar great traits their parents have. That's just my theory though.

• That's plausible.

What Guys Said 2

• Personally I don't believe this at all, reason being is I am perfect for Jessica Alba however we look nothing alike...all kidding aside I don't believe that because I feel that true love is not just physiological, or chemical, or even ordained by god I think that it is just a destiny and all these other pieces just fall into place when you meet the right person.

• It seems true since they don't want to hurt their look alike and they want the best for them.

What Girls Said 2

• Omg I thought I was the only one thinking this!

I observed this too, some couples look extremely alike, their facial features, etc.,

• i think it's one of those things in nature that we cannot understand, but it sure is interesting. haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one! XD

• They don't look alike physically, like the two being handsome/beautiful but I think they need to complement each other in personality.

• thats a good way of wording it. it's weird because in my experience they look alike physically but maybe that's just ironic.

• I think it's just a coincidence. Most of the long term couples I've seen are not alike physically(one may not be good looking) but they are together because they like each others personality. And it's the personality which has made them fall in love. Therefore beauty doesn't even matter.