Women are unfairly compared to girls in magazines. What about men?

I'm reading this book and came across a point that made me wonder: "Women are indeed unfairly compared to girls in magazines, in the media, what are we men unfairly compared to?"

There must be something. What do you think?

Excerpt:

"What’s the fastest way to make a teenage girl depressed? Show her a fashion magazine. When she compares herself to all those air-brushed, collagen-enhanced, digitally altered supermodels, she is guaranteed to feel inferior or downright unattractive. And the rest of us are not that different. Thanks to evolution, our minds are now so sophisticated they can even dream up a fantasy of the person we’d like to be—and then compare our ‘real’ self to that impossible standard. What chance have we got? We will always end up feeling not good enough!"

Most Helpful Guy

• Same thing for men...but due to male stubbornness and a don't-give-a-hoot attitude (by most men), we don't let it get under our skin.

The western media and society bombards you with what is the definition of what is a man. You need to be chiselled and ripped like the models in GQ with designer clothes or look like a greek demi-god or else you're just average schmuck. You need to be cool as RDJ or have the sex appeal of Channing Tatum. Women won't want you if you don't drive a BMW, wear axe body spear, wear an armani suit, make 6 figures, train like Michael Phelps and be loud and assertive.

Power of the media and marketing baby.

• Great post

• ...justin Bieber fans? now you lost me. :P (I hate the canadian beaver by the way lol) And yes...because every guy wants a beautiful girl who's an aspiring struggling model / TV actress who does a little p*rn on the side to pay for rent in LA...lol (sarcasm meter...rising!) XP

I do like girls who love exotic cars like Audi R8's though! ;)

• AudiR8 - We men love attractive women. Every single one of us would love to sleep with one, we are literally DESIGNED to be this way. But really, I'd go out on a limb to say men settle FAR more often than women. A vagina is far more valuable than a penis.

What Girls Said 5

• well if you ask me guys are financially compared to celebs , their material things are compared to celebs or nba players, fasterst way to make a guy depressed? show him a magazine of things that other men have that he doesn't ( hot women, cars, jewelry, houses, ). Not all girls are depressed by magazines, you can't show me a teen or a star magazine and get me depressed. Women in those magazines are extra airburshed and extra caked up in makeup and photoshopped ...take this for example - link

• That's true, I know it makes me feel like sh*t sometimes, at least. Lmao! That is an excellent link! That's good, it means you aren't the average young gal.

• Here here!

• Honestly I think it's just how girls are wired. We're territorial and competitive so this means that we have to be the prettiest, smartest, have the best body, etc. It's funny that no one compares their intelligence to that of Albert Einstein yet everyone compares their physical appearance to photoshopped models that don't even look like themselves. I guess it's because there are so many products out there that are supposed to enhance beauty (like makeup), along with diet fads and pills guaranteed to make you fit and sexy. In a way it's like saying, "How are you not as hot as this computerized girl yet?" Also, when you look at someone physical looks are what you see first. There's no way around it. Everyone wants to be that girl/guy in the movies that everyone can't help but notice how absolutely stunning and flawless they are. Thing is, because girl's looks can be improved more through makeup and because girls are seen more as sex symbols due to their attractiveness, girls have more pressure to be perfect. Add in their already competitive nature and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Guys are more laid back and aren't seen as sex symbols nearly as much as girls are. I mean, go to a store, watch a TV show, go to the movies. Attractive women, attractive women, attractive women. Attractive guys aren't used nearly as much. There are normal to cute ones but as many girls complain, "We rarely get a drop dead gorgeous male and here we are surrounded by beautiful girls all the time". It's kinda sad but true.

• Attractive guys aren't used nearly as much. There are normal to cute ones but as many girls complain, "We rarely get a drop dead gorgeous male and here we are surrounded by beautiful girls all the time". It's kinda sad but true.

Preach!

• Makoto - I agree. There are so many beautiful women it sickens me. Really attractive men are slim pickings, indeed.

• Why would I compare myself to magazine models/stars when I KNOW they've been " air-brushed, collagen-enhanced, digitally altered supermodels"? Besides, everyone has something to offer in their looks and personality so, no it's not depressing to me and never was... However, many girls actually care...

Guys? Well, about guys would be probably them being compared to rich muscular men if we follow the same logic. Leaving most guys "depressed" (if they care) about " air-brushed, collagen-enhanced, digitally altered supermodels" with lots of money...

• I think men are the same way, but instead of comparing themselves so much to models in magazines they compare themselves to the men around them in their life, who they look up to or aspire to be like one day. Obviously men also care about their appearance, if you have ever spent 5 minutes looking at the side of the gym where all the weights are kept you will see proof. There are even workouts specifically designed to enhance your body's aesthetic appeal. Now I say 'so much' because men still compare themselves to the mags, they just deal with it in a different way. They think more realistically, and look at the people around them for comparison; we all know that people in magazines appearances have been enhanced.

• Men are compared more by their wealth. Women, by their looks

What Guys Said 5

• This is why girls are stupid. Stop f***ing comparing yourself to other people. Stop wishing for crap you don't have.

Unfortunately men ARE starting to fall into that trap. With the influx of men's magazines they're starting to fall down the same path as women.

• Well, in fairness, they're just doing what they are designed to do. Same reason why men are doing it.

• Duuuuuude nope. I felt bad for the user. Nuff said.

• Lmao, you're just never going to accept me are you, Mrs. Makoto-kun? I actually like you believe it or not.

• Well we're compared to the "top" men in our society.

Financially successful, famous etc.. etc...

And there's also magazines and ads, think calvin klein models, to compare our looks to. So much the same as women.

Everyone is affected by it in some way or another. For some it's positive and for others it's negative. Having a role model of excellence to strive towards is a good thing in my opinion. Getting depressed because you're not exactly like them, well that's not fun.

• Well, most men don't bother.

• yeah I genuinely believe that women/men need to stop giving a crap and just start enjoying life. majority of these people are probably not happy in these magazines and half of them have had their pictures enhanced by photoshop. the truth is you need to do something that makes you feel good and makes others feel good, then this kind of a crap won't affect you. your self esteem will come from knowing you're a making a difference. i.e. volunteering somewhere, or doing random acts of kindness etc... just what I think. there's probably other ways but yeah rant over.

• We're compared to hot celebs too. We just don't let it get to us.