Does anyone else feel conscious about what they wear?

Putting aside the expression "You are what you wear" do you feel as if whenever you've bought yourself some new clothes, be it shoes, trousers or a new top, do you feel conscious and somewhat paranoid about what other people think?

I do get this feeling quite often, especially with new shoes on.

About 2 weeks ago I got 2 new pairs of shoes. I thought they looked cool and so did my family. I head out to meet up with some friends, including my ex and she calls them "gay". I ignored her because she always tends to be like that, calling everyone "gay" even if they aren't.

Another scenario is when I've got on a whole set of new clothes. I head out and I feel like I'm drawing senseless attention to myself.

Has anyone felt this way or is it just me?

Most Helpful Girl

• It happens to me all the time but then I tell myself that I shouldn't care what people think and if I like the clothes I should just wear them and not think about ppl, I mean when did worrying about ppl's opinions was ever useful

What Girls Said 19

• I can clean up pretty good when I need to, but for the most part I accept that I am a hot mess almost all the time. I have decided that it's part of my charm. So now I get to wear whatever I want. I have a sweater with an aardvark on it- it's one of the Top Five Ugliest Things I Have ever Seen, and I love it. I love it when Winter rolls around so I can wear it- it's a real head-turner. My best friend hates it- she's mortified whenever I wear it out with her, which really ups the value on my opinion. I found it at a thrift store. The lady just gave it to me because she said nobody in their right mind would ever pay money for it so I may as well just take it. I didn't want to tell her that *I* was willing to pay for it.

I've never been the type to give much of a rat's ass what people think anyway- and people I don't even know who see me is passing? They don't rate. They're just haterzz because I have an aardvark sweater and THEY don't. Same goes for your "gay" shoes. Do you like your gay shoes? Then f*** everyone all day forever- you WEAR those gay shoes. I'll be cheering for you. (I'm the one in the f***ed up sweater.)

• Their not even "gay" anyway ... It's just funny how people criticized what I wore say 4 years ago (which was usually baggy trousers and sweater), and that I've finally started to wear more proper clothing and gained much more attention from females that my ex brings that up. I'm sure its just jealousy and envy at work.

• There is no such thing as "gay" shoes. They are just shoes. Shoes don't have a sexual preference.

• yessss, when I get new jeans or a skirt, because of the big butt lol. but once I grow out of the 'its new!' phase I dnt care anymore

• Not any more (it's actually a little frightening how little I care now), but when I was a kid I was so scared that my mom would think the clothes I wanted were ugly and that I had terrible taste. So whenever we would go shopping for new clothes for me, I would follow her around the store while she pulled things out and asked "what about this?" and I'd just say yes or no and hope that she would pull out something that I liked and had seen earlier but was too scared to say I liked. She got really irritated by it but I was too scared to pick things out for myself.

• I try to only buy clothes that I know look good. I was blessed with a good sense of style, so usually when I feel good in an outfit, I look good. I know that new clothes draw attention, but it's in a good way. When you're dressed better you look better overall

• Not really. Not anymore, at least. I dress in a very... out there style, and have become accustomed to people staring/pointing/making comments, and thus, automatically block most people and don't even think about it.

I used to freak out and fret, thinking that maybe I had gone too far with what I was wearing that day, but have since gotten over that feeling.

Don't let your clothes wear you. If you aren't confident in what you are wearing, it shows, and people are more likely to look/judge.

• I'd say it's pretty normal to feel that way occasionally - one of the irritating things of being human: caring what other humans think.

However, I find that as I grow up, I care less and less. I get complimented on what I wear but it's more of a happy coincidence that I like to dress well for myself.

On the other hand, I have a slew of stupid t-shirts that I wouldn't give up for anything.

i.e. "If you can read this shirt, you're too close."

"I survived Helm's Deep"

etc, etc.

• I'm addicted to buying crop tops and shoes with a heel on them, but I rarely wear them. Every time I do, I feel like people are staring at me and judging me, a lot of slut-shaming going on. Like, sorry that 3 inches of my belly is so inappropriate just walking around the park or something when it's 80 degrees out. I have an entirely different style of what I actually wear, and it bothers me so much. I just feel self-conscious when I wear the brightly colored florals, crop tops, or heeled shoes.

• I feel you! Whenever I wear stylish clothes, I feel like everyone is looking at me. But I don't mind because I know I look good and not many people have the body or the nerve to wear whatever they want to. I think the way you dress is the way you present yourself to the work so ofc they'll look. So I think you should just wear what you want and just let people look.

• yeah I care a lot

as a matter of fact, I always need someone's approval when buying something

i should probably work on that

• I would do that a lot with my ex. Now that we've broken up I just seem to grin and bare it.

• I really don't care haha. If it was up to me, we'd all walk around naked.

• I always love the clothes that I buy, with time thay might not have the same appeal, but as my style change I am more concious of my choices so I never feel bad that I bought something or not.

• Yes, I only wear clothes I am comfy with, if I don't like the clothing I won't wear it

• Yeah I used to a lot. I would end up changing almost three times before I felt remotely comfortable to go out in public in my outfit. But now I really don't care what anyone else thinks about me. Only your own opinion of yourself should matter.

• i do, but I think with all the focus on image and appearance, think everyone does at some point. don't succumb to what you think people will want to see, or what they say about how you look, and it will pass

• Yeah, I do. But after I've worn it once, I don't care anymore. No one even cares, so why worry?

• No I don't give a sh*t what people think.

• never, I always wear whatever I like

• Sometimes when I try clothes on, I get that feeling, but I don't buy those clothes. I choose clothes I feel comfortable/confident wearing

• Yes. I want to be able to wear beautiful dresses and nice clothes but I feel self conscious about it because my face is so ugly. I am very thin, so I want to be able to wear clothes that flatter my body but I worry that people would judge me for it. I was shopping for some clothes a few weeks ago, and I overheard some girls whispering that I was too ugly to wear the shirt I was holding up. Since I was the only one around, and since they were staring at me, I knew it was me they were talking about. That isn't the first time I've heard something comment on ugly women wearing nice clothes. When I was in High School, I wore a white t-shirt that said Angel in blue lettering and it sparkled. A guy walked right up to me and told me that I was no angel, and that I shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt because Angels are beautiful. I think that situation is what shaped my self-image and the clothing I wear now.

And then I gained a lot of weight after that because I got depressed because people wouldn't leave me alone about my face in High School. But then in my early 20s I started to get envious of girls wearing fancy clothes, and the cute dresses. So I decided to lose weight and I told myself once I got skinny and got back to my old weight, I wouldn't care about what people thought. But now I am thinner than what I was in High School, and a lot of people tell me they wish they had my body but I cannot wear those nice clothes because of my hideous face. I am the ugliest woman on the planet. I just wear t-shirts and jeans/shorts even though I have sundresses and skirts hanging in my closet. Everyday I stare at my dresses and wish so much to wear them out, but I just think about my face and I know I can't. No one wants an ugly woman to dress up. Especially me. I look more like a man than a woman. I have long hair, but my face is masculine.

On Saturday I put on a short skirt, and a cute top, but then I got terrified to leave the apartment, and took them off. I am going to see them all because I am just too hideous to wear them. I am the ugliest woman in the world.

• i bet you are really beautiful but cannot see it

• Don't succumb to peer pressure. If you don't want to buy the bikini, DON'T.

• believe me I never will

What Guys Said 7

• I most certainly felt that way when I visited Eastern Europe. Most younger Americans wear their jeans a little more baggy. Mine weren't baggy, but compared to Eastern European guys, they were baggy because their jeans were pretty tight fitting. Also, most of them wore basically like soccer shoes and I was always wearing Vans skater shoes. And my t-shirts were a little more loose, where their t-shirts were tighter with higher cut sleeves in the arms. Then I came home I realized that I dress really comfortably. There's nothing wrong with that. If you are comfortable wearing something and other people put you down for it, then it's probably because they wish they could be as independent-thinking as you. In my case, in Eastern Europe, it was just the way that everyone out there, in terms of guys, dress, or almost all guys. My girlfriend at the time told me that people knew I was an American, but not just because of the way I dressed, since I rarely talked while I was out there. So, if people make a**inine comments about the way you dress, just remember they're just jealous that they can't be as independent as you.

• Not really. I bought the clothes because I liked how I looked in them. I may feel conscious later, but that just means it's time for new clothes.

• i don't really care what I wear... I don't even buy clothes... I wear old ones or my mom buys me some. I can't really care about clothes because I lose them all the f***ing time weird sh*t to ill come home missing pairs of pants or underwear irdk

• yeah sure. but try asking other girls and guys about what do they think. I asked my friend about those pants and he told me "you are skinny, you'd look more skinny if you buy them." no insult I actually sincerely thanked him.

we can't see everything in the mirror that's why we need friends who are good at fashion to help out and no shame in that.

shoes is like the essence of clothing as I came to notice.

• I don't really, but I dress mostly in t shirts and jeans so pretty casual. I try not to think about my appearance that much.

• Not only do I feel conscious about my style, I feel concerned about my weight. I'm 6''6 and skinny as a stick. My crush has said that I've got an "Athletic" body type but I find that hard to believe.

• Yeah I'm skinny too, but some girls are into it. I think worrying about your looks is pretty pointless and really looks are just not that important. I know it's everywhere in our society, but I just don't think it's a big deal.

• yes I am self conscious because I don't like clothes that make me look fatter than I am, well I am fat enough but I don't like to look it, I try to wear clothes that cover it

• lol not self conscious, but it is smarter to do so, so people will think you care about your appearance and you are professional.