Why do unattractive people want good looking partners?

I notice that the people most critical of others looks have obvious imperfections.

I know quite a few unattractive people but then they have a long list look wise of someone they would not go for.

Why do they unattractive people seem to want the best looking partners?

From their perspective, shouldn't looks not matter has much?

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe because they're super insecure, and they show it by judging and holding other people to ridiculously high standards. It doesn't make sense, but insecurity does that to people...

What Guys Said 12

• Because they think their offspring will have a good chance on looking average then.

ugly + beautiful = average

a bit ugly + beautiful = above average

average + beautiful = beautiful or average

beautiful + beautiful = very beautiful or ugly

In other words, people always strive for better; whether it is for money, good looking partner, better place to live, better paying job, better way of life.

Looking for a good looking intellectual partner is looking for the good genes you want to experience and probably let your kids also inherit, that is if you have kids with the good looking person. Why settle for less, when you can get more out of life.

• Nothing wrong with wanting an attractive partner. Feeling entitled or feeling like they settled when they don't get that more attractive partner is what I don't like.

I don't think that the want more attractive partners than already attractive people and if they did I would see it as some sort of compensatory thing.

Apparently beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that we are attracted to people of similar attractiveness

• So if I gave you a bad plastic surgery job, you'd no longer be attracted to good looking men?

Why do they 'want' it and why do people refuse to settle are two different questions.

• There's a difference between being attracted to one, and having high standards when it comes to looks. Saying that people that don't fit this description cannot date you.

• that complement one another, as long as both genuinely are attracted to each other. And certainly what works best is when your partner has the traits that matter MOST to you. So you can want someone funny if you're not, or someone intelligent if you're not, or outgoing ... or attractive.

But of course, you have to offer a package appealing enough to get that person. If you can, well, great.

If not? I think there's a bias for people who never date/have sex to cling to fantasy...

• relationships in their head rather then less perfect relationships in real life. I personally think they're making a mistake - companionship and sex with someone sweet and ordinary is a lot more fun and satisfying then jerking off to a hot picture and wishing you had someone to love. But they don't know that yet, I guess. Its really their choice.

• Everyone wants attractive partners. The problem here is they fail to see where they themselves lie in the attractiveness ladder.

• It doesn't really matter what they want. Reality will usually settle in and they'll just end up alone anyways so..

• People naturally like symmetry and better looks. Some of this may have to do with media and environment but most has to do with procreation.

• Why do poor people want money or people with money?

• Answer my question, don't ask me one. Read the details I give better explanation on what I mean.

• I'm trying to answer your question. Getting you to answer a question helps me do that.

Which person do you think will have more interest in the financial condition of their partner: a multi-billionaire or someone who's flat broke? That should help answer your question.

• It's only natural...

• Everyone wants a good looking partner. In fact, everyone wants the best looking partner. "Shouldn't looks not matter as much?". This should apply to everyone . Attractive as well as unattractive people. I just think unattractive people get more heat for wanting good looking partners just because they may not be as physically attractive as others. At the end of the day, people of all levels of attractiveness want the best of everything. Unfortunately, not everyone's circumstances (looks in this case) enable them to be able to get the best looking partners.

• Well everybody wants a good looking partner but I guess the set the bar too high.

• A lot of people don't feel they NEED a relationship though. In other words, they'd rather be single than settle. After all, a relationship isn't just benefits. It's costs too.

I don't think people should settle. If you're genuinely not attracted to someone, you shouldn't date that person. If people followed this policy, it might mean A LOT of single people. But so be it.

• Let me guess, all of them are guys.

What Girls Said 8

• I think that if they are unattractive but are really interesting and funny then they can look for hot partners, other than that I think that's bogus.

• Opposites attract

• I see nothing wrong with wanting to be attracted to someone, but having unrealistic and high standards when you're ugly only backfires

Unless you're a man with money...and money talks

• everybody wants more attractive partners

• its normal, is like whn people want something that's really expensive that they would never be able to buy

• The title should be:

"Why do unattractive GUYS want good looking partners?"

Answer: Because guys (hot, average or ugly) are shallow.

• I think it's an ego/inferiority complex thing.

Take a guy who is unattractive (both inside and out) who is always rejected by girls. He may then develop unrealistic tastes for women, so that he would reject any gorgeous woman as revenge. To boost his ego and compensate for the rejection in his life, he may seek out a trophy girlfriend who meets his standard of "perfection."

• Because everyone wants to be with someone they find attractive.

That's pretty much a given.

• Of course, but if your already unattractive why X out someone just has unattractive has you are?

• Because they don't find them attractive.