Am I too old fashioned? Are there others like me?

As someone in their mid-30s who is about to be married soon, I feel increasingly out of touch with the world at large, even with people my own age.

I don't smoke. Rarely have booze and have never been intoxicated. Never took an illegal drug. No piercings, no tattoos, Church on Sundays, do volunteer work. And I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or even texting. I don't even use a smart phone.

People call me outdated and uptight. I even listen to the same bands I did 20 years ago. Am I weird since I don't change much or is it truly good to stick to your guns and be yourself?

Most Helpful Guy

• it's good that you stick to your convictions and principles. I don't think there is a right or wrong in this case because it is subjective. Some people will laud you for being so old fashioned/conservative/whatever they might call it some might say you are boring/prudish/old fashiong (in a negative way).

as long as you feel good about the life you lead and don't hurt others living that life then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you live.

My motto is as long as you don't hurt others party on. Whether you party til the sun comes up or read a book quietly. Whether you go to church every Sunday, are an atheist, or believe in any other thing as long as you don't hurt others, party on.

So Party On!

What Girls Said 7

• wow... that is actually awesomeness:)

i think its AMAZING to stick to your guns and be urslf! you dnt understand how much I like that in a person lol. it really shows that the fast motion of this world isn't moving you and dragging you along in this current of corruption and what not=]

why should it matter whether your being like everyone else or not? as long as your happy that's all that matters I reckon:)

• Please do not change! We need more people like you! It would seem like there aren't others like you because society and the media pretty much only focus on those who use modern technology and get in trouble or do bad things using the same technology. I grew up with people who go to Church and do not wish to have Facebook or waste their time on the phone, so yes there are people like you. :) If you think you are old-fashioned well do not think that as a bad thing! It is good that society's twisted mind has not changed who you are. Keep it up! And congratulations on the marriage-to-be!

• Don't let the world change you, be a world changer! :) We are to be a light in this dark world.

• I wish there were more guys like that my age!

• I think that you should be yourself, if you don't like that stuff they shouldn't make you use them. If you respect others then they should respect you back.

• no you have good morals

• Well, I'm 21 and I've never had a drink or tried smoking. I'm old fashioned too, I'm still a virgin and proud of it. I really want to wait until marriage, but not for religious reasons. It seems like people are really loose and I don't know lack self respect and morals today. I've been called a prude since I was 17 for being a virgin, by friends that were younger than me, every other girl was on birth control in high school and giving bjs to guys in cars. I just don't understand why people normalize bad behavior, it's really sad imo.

• I cannot say I am a total good person, because I am not. But for some reason I just like to stick to my guns in most scenarios. Raised by good parents, instilled with good values, and taught to follow my own path. Have not been a real "success" in life in terms of a over the top career but I turned out well. Society does not dictate my behavior. I do. And like an oak tree, I don't change much. Weather a lot of storms but I am constant.

Good for you as well.

What Guys Said 2

• If I may, I get the same feeling myself, I'm younger than you, but I've never been into parties, or drinking, smoking etc.

However, I like to counter that by saying I've gone zip-lining, skydiving, and rock climbing. I plan on learning parkour as well in about 3 months (or at least seeing how well I can do).

I may not be your typical mainstream guy, but last I checked killing your lungs and brain cells is stupid. I like healthy fun, look into stuff like that and you'll find it invigorating, and it feels RIGHT you know?

• I have done the fun stuff. I love heavy metal and have been to many concerts. And have been all over the USA to see baseball games. Done ziplining and skydiving myself and scubadiving. Like adventure. I just do not give into trends or peer pressure and live pretty well on the straight and narrow.

Thanks for your reply.

• If that's the case, yeah yer chill, most people nowadays like to do stuff that harms them. You're far from boring, least to me anyway.

• You're not too old fashioned. You're quite a gentleman in a sense