Hypocondria! Help, need answers!

For 3 years now, I been a hypocondriact.I been through test after test blood wise, had a abdominal ultrasound last year, all was normal. But I'm not convinced that I'm in good health! I don't understand why I feel this way. Also I'm addicted to looking at disease forums (Liver disease and medhelp.org) What makes one so addicted to looking on the internet to stuff like that?

I wish I can be a free man! I'm sick of having worry anymore.

Newest worry... Was a big drinker for 10 years, had abdominal pain and Dr knew my history. Had me do an ultrasound just to rule out "Liver enlargment" Well, at first the good news was the results of the U.S were normal. Dr's assitant said liver looks tottally safe.

Now I read that U.S's aren't accurat! And Ct scans are more specific. Someone on this liver diease forum I check out said when she U.S's, they were normal but when she got a CT scance it showed she had scaring! I'm so scared now! I could possiblity have the Cirrohisis! Why would my Dr do a test that's false?

Should I go for a ct scan? My dr dosen't think I need more tests. So scared!

Most Helpful Girl

• Well stop looking on the internet for symptoms because their pretty general and not specific so they give you all the diseases at once without proper diagnosis, and most likely a lot of the things that pop up in your search can be freakish things that only happen once in a blue moon. I think people look things up regarding health because we think just about everything on the internet is a quick esy accesible cure all. When really it isn't especially when it comes to health, sometimes people can scare themselves. Liver scarring is going to happen no matter what especially if you were that excessive of a drinker. However just because you have scarring on the liver it doesn't mean it's gonna kill you. If it was life threatening I'm sure you'd have a lot of pain and discomfort around your abdominal area. You can get the CT if you like if it isn't servere there's no real need to do anything. Perfect example if you ever watched Dr. G Medical examiner she gets quite a few dead people with liver scarring, or fatty liver but that doesn't do them in. Remember it's great that you're informing yourself about your body and using the internet as a tool to do so, but when it comes to self diagnosis not so much.

What Girls Said 9

• Block those sites that you visit. Browsing through them won't do anything but feed your anxiety. If that isn't enough (because really, there are thousands of those websites and you can't block them all), the only thing you can do is find the willpower to not visit any of them. Keep reminding yourself that it won't do you anything good. Then I would advise you to see a therapist.

• If all your medical test results were normal since you stopped drinking, then you have nothing to worry about. Keep up your physical health. But I suggest you see a therapist to help discover the root cause and tackle your anxiety issues. In the meantime, find an app to block all those health symptom diagnosis websites and forums.

• Holy sh*t dude. No, relax. Unless there is a serious and real present issue, you don't need to see the doctor for a tummy ache.

• go to a shrink

• Is your skin color pretty yellow? if so, get a CT scan independently

• My skin color is normal

• If you're not suffering from any of the symptoms listed, then you're lucky for now.

The liver naturally heals from scarring by itself in time( provided if that person don't abuse their body)- if he/she truly believe in the powers of the human body to restore to optimum health

• Relax I doubt anything is wrong

• Umm maybe don't over think it or worry so much

• try to relax, we all die someday..

• well go to another doctor and seek help from a therapist to overcome your disease.

What Guys Said 3

• Hypochondriasis and somatoform disorder are usually pretty accurate diagnoses, but I think it's more of an anxiety issue that is the root cause. An anti-anxiety such as lexapro and psychodynamic therapy might be of help.

If you are that concerned, list any abnormal test results. Sometimes, there are slowly progressive conditions (usually treatable) that can go undetected for years. I doubt this is the case, but it couldn't hurt to list them.

As for medical imaging, nothing tops the clarity of MRI.

• Tackle your anxiety. Then see if you have other issues to deal with after that.

• Hypochondry is a fatal illness. So is life.

• isclaimer: GirlsAskGuys cannot guarantee the accuracy of answers, opinions and advice submitted by members. Use common sense when following or avoiding any content on GirlsAskGuys. You should consult a physician, therapist, or appropriate medical provider prior to making any health and fitness decisions or taking any actions.