Is it a good thing to think that you are better looking than you actually are?

So... Apparently I'm a very average looking girl, some guys may hit on me I suppose, some don't. Very normal.

Now here's my problem, why do I keep refusing to believe that I'm just average looking and not gorgeous? lol.

I would like to think that I have a great personality, and at the same time I keep thinking, I am very pretty too. But others don't see me this way.

Is it a good thing to think that you are better looking than you actually are? I'm not trying to sound conceited but I find myself very good looking (I have days where I think I'm hideous) and sometimes I tell myself that people are intimidated by me that's why I don't get approached more... Is this normal or what?

Most Helpful Guy

• Evaluating yourself high maybe good for yourself, but truthfully you aren't trying to attract yourself but someone else. I've seen this a lot. Some girl would rate themselves higher than they actually are, especially when wearing make up or asset enhancing clothes (e.g 8 if they are a 5) Then guys who are 5's will see through rhe facade and see you as an equal and will hit on you/ask you out. They say "No" because these guys are "beneath" them even though they are both 5's. Now the guys who are 8's will generally not go for 5's not matter how high these 5's may see themselves. Now these girls claim that "there are no guys" because they have have excluded their equals in pursuit of more attractive guys because they have tricked themselves into thinking they are more attractivr than they really are

Bottom line is that it my be good for personal growth, but terrible for relationship growth

• I agree with that one. Although I must admit I don't get hit on by guys I don't think are attractive, it does not happen as often.

• So you are in a very fortunate position :)

What Guys Said 4

• No, but I actually am better looking than I think I am. And my mother agrees.

• In your case, yes. In some cases, no. In many cases, yes.

At times holding false beliefs is beneficial to the person such as believing you're more intelligent or stronger than you really are can lead to some impressive results. In your case it probably allows you to carry yourself with more confidence than you normally would if you were to live under the guise of reality.

It's a really great practice so long as you don't turn into a megalo and start proclaiming yourself the prettiest woman on the planet and all that.

• I don't know whether it's good or bad, but it sure as hell is common!

• Well there's no such thing as objective beauty, though it is true that some people are generally found to be more attractive than others.

I think your attitude is more common in girls than in guys. Girls don't make the first move nearly as much as guys do, therefore girls get rejected far less than guys do. And it's not like guys will go up to you and say, "By the way, I wanted to let you know that I'm not going to ask you out". In other words, for the vast majority of girls, the success/rejection ratio is either good or neutral. Of course, that's not to say girls don't have body image issues.

I don't think it's a problem for you as long as you don't let it affect your behavior . It's good to be in a positive mood. But obviously, acting irrationally is a bad thing.

For a guy, confidence is so important. So I would say being more confident about your looks than you should be is better than not being confident enough. In other words, unlike for girls, I think it would have a benefit.

What Girls Said 2

• yes, because you have confidence in yourself

• yes, so you can attract more people but not in a cocky way