Why is the majority clothing marketed towards skinny girls only?

I find the shirts with the outlined bust area (like a built in bra) always look like no one above a B-cup could fit into them.

Most pants are tight in the thighs and loose at the waist.

With leggings, the inseam is generally a standard 29"! They should at least offer more choices. What about us tall chicks? I have a 33" inseam and don't want to walk with cold ankles.

It's like if you're tall and curvy with a slim waist, you're screwed.

Ehh, I'm not big. I'm 5'9" and a size 8. Quite normal for my height.
By 'skinny', I mean those who are a size 4 or smaller as well as being 5'4" or shorter... so kinda like petite girls. Especially when most of the clothes are presented on those with model heights such as mine - 5'9". Yet models are verrrry tiny at a size 4.

Most Helpful Girl

• As far as inseams go the average height for a woman in North America is 5'4" so that's the reason most inseams are made to fit that size. Lots of stores carry long, short and regular inseams. It wouldn't make sense to make a regular inseam 33" because then it would be way too long on most women. It sucks but you just have to find stores that make jeans for a long inseam. It also depends on the store because if you are shopping in a more low end clothing store then they are not going to offer variety in the inseams because is is much cheaper to just manufacture one standard length. Here are some stores that offer jeans with long inseams-

link

link

link

link

As far as the sizing in the shirts go I think it also depends on the store you are shopping in. Sizing in sores are crazy nowadays with vanity sizing. I can fit into a 00 at some stores and a 4 at another, so I find that you just have to find a store that has a fit that suits you. Some stores have a fit that suits a shorter frame and some have a fit that suits a longer frame, its all about finding the right one for you. It's unfair but a lot of places just cater to short and skinny women. By reinforcing the whole 'skinny ideal' they make consumers feel bad about themselves which feeds the diet market and makes consumers more likely to buy vanity sized clothing. It also makes consumers more likely to buy 'slimming' clothing and to shop more as a way to make themselves feel better.

What Guys Said 4

• IMHO, it's not a conspiracy, just the factor that many successful clothes designers are gay men and will design for boyish bodies ( they're possibly not even aware of it) The others often copy this.

But who buys their stuff?

-Women spending as much time and money on body looks as on clothing.

-Very young girls -with adolescent bodies- get it offered by mom & dad (even more so if mom and dad are divorced: then dad opens his wallet for his daughter, not for food & panties & tuition, but for the 'nice' things, mom pays the 'common things')

Once they're grown up and pay it from their wages it hurts, of course: they're no longer the public fashion shops aim at.

• tall and curvy with a small waist in clothes too small for her. any guys here complaining?

• This should be so obvious it shouldn't be a question.

• This is a common complaint I hear from women. The truth is if the fashion industry could make money by selling cute clothes for fat people they would. Skinny people look better in most outfits than fat people, and tend to want to show off their body more.The majority of overweight people would rather hide in the shadows with dark baggy clothing than show off what they have. Cute clothes just don't look cute on heavy people. So if they made cute clothes for a heavy person it would look terrible when they tried it on.

I have been yelled at by many women for refusing to believe that some sort of conspiracy exists against overweight women within the fashion industry before. This is laughable. There is no conspiracy. Companies exist to make money. They will make any type of product that they believe will sell.

• Bigger people look ugly because designers tend to design sh*tty clothes for bigger girls and FYI if a girl has taste big or small they can pull off any outfit, I am a big girl and I they don't hide in the shadows I am a big girls I wear skinny jeans and damn I look better than most skinny girl and if design houses take their heads out of their asses they will realize that there is a big market in big people. in South Africa I can tell you designers are making a killing designing for big girls

• Eh. Average is actually the most attractive, in general.

• Then why don't we see average size people on the cover of all the magazines instead of unattainable body figures that have been Photoshopped to be even skinnier than they were to begin with? I am not bashing average of overweight people. Sex sells, and it sells better when it is at a below average weight.

What Girls Said 9

• oh my goshhhh I wonder this all the time! and why do the mannequins look like they havnt eaten for an entire month? like, not all girls are like that! what about the pears, the hourglasses, the apples?!

and yeah I hate the pants issue too-.- alwayss fine around the thighs and bum, but the waist is so loose! [cuz I'm a pear/hourglass]. I ALWAYS need to wear a belt with my jeans for this reason. I'm not that tall but yeh that's an issue I can relate to. actually my height also affects my jeans too lol because I'm short for my size so I have to fold up the jeans at the bottom:P

• there was an episode about this on ''drop dead diva'',the designer claimed it was becase those clothes don't look good on big girls,of course-she proved him wrong. and proved that they'd make more money if they marketed towards big girls.

• I'm not talking about 'big' girls though, I'm talking about your average woman. Not every woman ranges from size 0-4 and is 5'4" or shorter.

• if I found that store, I'd be there. smh

• well if there were no stores like that half the women would be naked! I always hear macy's has a lot of sizes

• The fashion industry has yet to accommodate the ever so fat American women

That and a lot of the clothing would only look good on smaller girls

• Clothes are too big for me! I wear a size 12 in kids because I'm so tiny. :)

• I know it is unfair! I think it is because they know a lot of girls are that size.

• You are tall and thin must be nice I think you need to stop complaining. Society says that skinny is pretty and that fat is ugly so most clothes run small.

• because those are the most common sizes

• well my mom has the same problem and I gues sits just the "averae" that companies have or its just their images.

• Because that's how clothing looks good, if it's all big and sh*t no one would be like "oh that's a cute shirt!"