Why do you think Africans are physically stronger than other people?

this is not meant to be ancillary or racist you are free to voice your opinion as I am free to voice mine.

Africans are just physically better (look at sports ie football running etc) do you think this is a result of their harsh environment (for Africans lack of domestication of wildlife and political unrest, and for African Americans the slave labor would have ensured only the fittest survived to pass on genes.) or do you think that it is inherent in there genes.

also why do you think then that whites appear to be better thinkers. for instance look at all of your philosphers while there may be a few African or black philosophers I Haven't heard of any and they certainly aren't as prevalent. and again if you look at africa the education isn't as important and in America the majority of our illiteracy rate is in the black population. so with this do you think that they are just naturally not as good of thinkers, or do you think its a result of again their nature in africa their to busy just trying to survive, and in America they typically are in the low class (financially)

what are your opinions?

• Biological (explain)
  • Sociological (explain)
when I kept saying Africans I was being mistaken (because of all this damn political corectness nowadays) I meant just like black people in general obviously including specifically when I said that I was thinking of like nigerians and jamaicans and theyre running ability

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that is strictly true...

I think black people are built for leg based activities whereas caucasions are designed for upper body based activities. Put it this way, in the animal kingdom, the colder cousin of a species always tends to be stronger in the upper body however at the same time aren't as fast runners.

Polar Bears are the strongest bears whereas black bears tend to live in warmer climates and are not as strong.

Sumatran tigers from russia are bigger and stronger but also slower than their bengal tiger cousins.

it works the same way with all

Cheaters are the fastest land mammals on the planet but do not have the strongest legs. they are built to be light and nimble but at the same time are more fragile and not designed to be strong. There are sacrifices in human nature. you can't be built like a tank and be as fast as a cheater.

In sports, black people tend to do best in sports that require their legs but don't do as well in sports that require upper body strength.

- Running (you won't see someone who looks like a body builder winning races) requires lean muscle that is light and fast

- Hurdles/Jumping requires long quick legs to be able to make the furthest leaps

- Basketball isn't about strength in the upper body at all, it is about quickness in movement of the legs

In comparison white people tend to not fare as well in sports that require speed in their legs but dominate upper body based sports.

- Power lifting requires strength in the upper body and thick strong legs that can sustain the weight

- swimming it about the upper body that keeps you afloat in the water and launches you forward

- Discuss throwing and javelin requires strong upper body strength

- wrestling is also an area that is dominated

So I wouldn't say your assertion about them being physically stronger is correct, evolution has trade offs. However, generally African majority nations with little influence from white tend to dominate running sports that require them to be light and nimble but those same athletes would not fare so well in sports that require upper body strength. Mixed Africans would generally fair better at those sports

• I gotcha that makes a lot of sense, do you think that's a result of genetics or...

• there are always exceptions to the rule but basically a world power lifter is most likely to be caucasion. but there is no chance he will be able to compete with an African runner when it comes to sprinting and a black person is most likely to be better at running than a caucasion but not be able to compete in power lifting.

in terms of intelligence... there are a lot of factors that have influenced that. Many would argue that Europe as a whole with its consistant wars throughout history

• between close nations that were consistantly competing caused them to develop at a faster rate out of neccessity, there was nowhere for them to go until they eventually developed enough to be able to use ships

What Girls Said 15

• i jus rekon its in the genes... over the course of time they have been the ones who have had to endure longer with surviving in the natural world and finding ways to deal with coexisting with the harshness that mother nature can bring.

for example, hunting for food and building shelter take strength and a good physical stamina if done so regularly... can't just walk to the fridge or something.

i think the children and their children will b born with this fantastic trait... I really admire it to be honest because it shows that they have this dignified way of going after what they want and making an effort in getting it.

• Well I guess I would have to say biological. While America was advancing, Africans were working hard, foraging for food, and pretty much every man for himself. So they had to be strong. I'm sure they were smart in their different countries. But, once you come to a knew one you have to learn there ways, there langue, expand their education, and that just wasn't happening because they were slaves. And of course they got stronger for doing the hard labor.

Maybe it's a gene that's getting passed down, or it could just be the fact that we do what were good at if we're better at a sport, why get a hard job?

Caucasians are smart, but African Americas are as well that are very smart and successful. I know it may not seem like that when most are playing a sport, in a game, just produces more babies, etc. But, some of us are successful, smart, and made history.

Actually I know it's kind of stereotyping, but it seems like Asians are the smartest during this period of time.

But, we are all good at something more than others in racial groups, and individuals. So I wouldn't necessarily group everyone of a race into a group on behalf of being good or bad at something.

Good observation/opinion though =)

• Physical = biological

philosophical = sociological

Black people are born bigger and stronger than white people on average so that seems to be mostly a genetic thing. However, I think the intelligence factor is more of a sociological effect. While there is a genetic factor in intelligence there are also many more environmental factors that go into intelligence. For the most part, black people are physically capable of being just as intelligent as white people. However, a lot of them grow up in underdeveloped areas with poor education systems so they're often disadvantaged. There's also the fact that black people have been looked down on by white people for ages which means that any potential philosopher's they may have would probably be scorned and mocked by white people and would thus go unnoticed. Times are changing though and as more and more black people go through a better education system we're seeing more and more intelligent black people rise to the top.

• why do you think that the whites put more importance on education as opposed to the black population?

• I guess you're not very good at reading. I was countering the QA's point and I mentioned it comes down to what people train at. You just got hot headed and didn't digest what I wrote.

• Yes you're right, sorry for not reading your answer more thoroughly.

• I think there would have been more black philosophers if it were legal back then lol they didn't let black people do much or have a. Voice in America for a while remember

I know a lot of people disagree but I still feel they are being suppressed to poverty and such a lot feel its harder to succeed when your black even the media it all keeps putting them in a bad light nothing encourages them to be different it hurts and saddens me but I feel regardless of race intellect everyone has the ability to have it. There are Asian black and Spanish intelligent people

As far as Africa is concerned they have corrupt governments and are in some areas not very industrialized although there are areas of Africa that has education like South Africa so I think it's a big country that is again focused on its negative traits by the media and the more industrialized and efforts being put into the education system are simply neglected.

South Africa has poverty as well and I bet some of them who live in forests can run faster than me so I don't attest it to race completely but habitat

I can say African / island men are built differently much more vast and stoic they are tall and strong lean muscles like a cheeta so maybe physical genetics but a brain is a brain no race is less intelligent than another has. Everything to do with I guess routine if you raise a black man in a home that believes in education and discipline like in china he will be good at math and a white man in Africa he can survive. It's learnt behavior I think

• Maybe its biological that we don't have the king of luxuries that Kids from the west have for us instead of sitting in front of a TV screen in front of a computer and playing games we are out doors playing sport not formally just a couple of kids getting together to play soccer, runninf=d contests and the likes basically moving our as**s after all our continent is blessed with beautiful weather so being outside builds character and physical stamina and our willingness or mental strength to push through physical pain is what makes us seem physically strong and you are politically incorrect by saying Africans do not put emphasis on education we do the only draw back is that most cannot afford to take their kids to a formal school so many have come with solutions of informal schooling which might not be recognised as schooling and as for philosophers we do have a number of philosophers, me being a philosophy student I get to study a lot of their works,these being a few examples Molefi K Asante, Kwasi Wirendu, Kwame Gyekye, Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Paulin J Hountondji to name just a few African philosophy was mainly Oral it is only in the recently that we have taken philosophy from the oral tradition to a more formal structure of the written word to learn more you can check out the Stanford encyclopaedia of philosophy and such sites to learn more about Africa

• ok, but none of those philosophers have been as revered I guess you could say. school is free here that is a reason that you could say we put more of an emphasis on it.

• that's what happens when you when live in first world country you get free education, no philosopher in this day and age we will be revered as you put it like your Platos and Socrates of the world the world is a different place we don't find their way of thinking as extraordinary or unique,compared to the old days when a person like Plato was considered to have above average intelligence because of his unique reasoning he was worshiped today the way they look at things is not such a phenomenon

• Every race has members who are smarter than strong or vice versa. Unfortunately slaves in America were largely uneducated and if it was found that they were "smart" they were killed. Slavery is an ugly thing that happened in this country that people like to downplay but we still feel the effects of it today. There are many intelligent black people but the media does not portray this.

• For Africans/blacks, I would say it's part of their genetic makeup just as it is stated the white race have high mental ability which makes them smart/intellectual and at the same time, if they overdo it, they go MENTAL.

• No

• You are right, black people are closer to animals, white people are like a weird undeveloped human.

• I am going to school studying education and the books say that intelligence is half environment and half genetics so for intelligence I would say both biological and sociological. As for sports I think it is a lot biological. Some are born uncoordinated lol.

• biological

• biological

• I read somewhere that African Americans have more testosterone

• Well I was aware cowards downvote on this site like crazy. Damn losers

• You're the scary ass. Posting anonymous.

• Go away

• A !

• Why do some of you think about black people so much? nothing better to do?

• ... its a question for people who like to understand the workings of earth... scientists for example

What Guys Said 8

• studies have shown that African, black, whatever children develop motor skills sooner than other races. that they learn to crawl, walk, climb, etc sooner as well develop hand eye coordination sooner... this is an accepted scientific fact at this point

I suppose this could be an evolutionary trait gained from the longer time the continent of Africa remained undeveloped and thus Africans still haven't de-volved as much (as their white counterparts) physically from their ancestors who were hunters, gathers, etc. most other cultures, specifically white cultures lived in a modern world much earlier than Africans so their need to be physically strong, fast, agile, etc for survival ended longer ago... but that's just a theory

• Humans can be selectively bred just like animals, because we are animals.

When you select only the strongest and tallest men to force breed like how farmers only pick the strongest bull to breed, you're going to get what you desire.

It's forced Darwinism from the slave era.

Academic ability is different. Academic ability is a social thing where nurture is greater than nature. White people have the most freedom compared to other cultures and value individualism, therefore have the most incentive to think.

If you're talking about blacks in America, that is a socioeconomic problem, not a social or biological problem. Poor white people literacy = Poor black people's literacy.

• very true that was my perception of it, however I would assume that since iq ability is passed from parent to child that then the same would go for the academic ability in which case though it may be negative it would mean that blacks would just literally not be as smart as their white counterparts, sure they could be bred (just like the physical side) but that doesn't address the hear and now of it right?

• lol true, but I couldn't really understand the quote tbh, if they meant 20 percent per person, or 20 percent as part of the whole .02 % per person

or the most prevalent snps adding up to .02 and then all several thousand add up to 20 it was weirdly worded

• i've written submitted research and done editing for doctoral peers. I can smell b.s in research a mile awhile

• For the past 40 years or so only white men have won the World's Strongest Man Tournament so maybe you should reconsider your stance on strength. A higher percentage blacks in the USA then whites live in poverty and they go to college in far lower numbers. Those who are ambitious look for alternative ways to succeed. That may leads to a certain number of them training really hard at a particular sport. You'd be surprise how good you can get at something when you are very motivated.

• well when I said stronger I was more thinking of athletically speaking like, speed and stamina

• Plenty of whites are great at sports, it's just statistically more probably that you can become a doctor or lawyer and get rich through devotion to school, then it is to get drafted to the NFL for any race.

• Work smarter, not harder...

• This isn't the case throughout the entire world. If you find a random African tribesman who is still acclimated to his indigenous ways, he is not going to be a superior athlete if you introduce him to a sport, even at a young age. Black people in the USA, however, are very good at most sports, and their population in sports leagues is disproportionate to their significance in the American population. I believe that in America we drastically notice it because of the way slaves were bred for more than 400 years, i.e. make sure the largest strongest slaves had many children each generation. If you look at world wide sports, like soccer, black people are not the best in the world at these sports, but sports popular in former slavery-nations do have a large population of black athletes. I believe this is solely attributed to the breeding of slaves.

• ok and what of the intelligence side? and I'm not sure about what you said, nigerians are the fastest runners and they werent in slavery, or jamaicans how theyre typically the fastest sprinters

• It is true that Africa was nomadic, then tribal for much longer than the rest of the world, although the case could be made that native American societies were similarly nomadic/tribal, and we don't think of Native Americans as being incapable, in fact the government has worked very hard to bring native American status to nearly that of the white American.

It was also very hard to create cities in much of Africa because of the lack of water. Tribes would run out of water then move, hence the

• difficulty in establishing a society, and a history. I don't think the difficulty in creating civilization is due to the supposed mental incapability of black people, back then, to civilize.

• 400 years of pedigree breeding slave owners

• lol they are? I don't recall ever seeing a study claiming such a thing.

• where you're only partially right is with African Americans seeming to be better of athletically not necessarily Africans. I can name countless great African American athletes but can't think of one African one.

this is due to artificial selection during slavery which involved mating the strongest, fittest male slaves with the fittest females resulting in stronger offspring.

I'm sure someone will whine and bitch about this being racist but that doesn't change the fact that it happened.

• yeah but surprisingly no one yet, there probly just stewing on it. and when I said Africans I really meant blacks I was thinking of like nigerians and jamaicans etc

• I am not sure if this is true but I was told once that white slave owners would find a white man who was very strong and breed a child with a black slave so she would have stronger kids.

• Well you're pretty much right. African Americans are pretty good at sports, but like you said it's pretty much from our strongest ancestors from Africa. So in a way Africans are pretty strong/were.

Also, Africans tend to be extremely good at track and soccer.

• They are not. You've been swayed by only two major American sports. Look at soccer. It's the number one sport in the world and it seems like it's always a European country or Brazil winning the world cup or has the best players. If you look at CONCAC'AF, Mexico is winning a bit and it doesn't appear that it's very often that places like Jamaica beat the U.S.

Also, when it comes to sprinting, it's never anyone from an African nation. Jamaicans in particular have a strong arm in it with the U.S. close behind. If you look at long distance running, you won't see American blacks competing all that well in it and you certain won't find many Jamaicans either.

Anyway, I think a lot of it has to do with culture and socioeconomic status. I'll give an example with boxing. A lot of boxers come from similar backgrounds (actually it's quite similar in many sports). A lot are urban folks that took up boxing at an early age. Various ethnicities controlled the ring at certain times. You can go back and see poor southerners at the top and eventually went to the Irish and the Italians and Jews. Right now, it's primarily south and central Americans. Anyway, most of the boxing gyms are in inner cities, and for the most part, who is there right now and for the past say 50 years?

Major League Baseball teams "farm" talent from poor areas in central America. It's not as if Dominicans are naturally better baseball players.

There are so many sports that exist and black people don't rule them all. They don't rule most of them. You wouldn't think you've even heard of the Olympics or the fact that there is a world outside of the U.S. haha

For the tl;dr folks, my basic answer is that it's culture. Certain areas/peoples are more compelled to strive in different things. In America, what group(s) has more options when it comes to the many many different sports that exist? That also are encouraged to have an even wider scope academically and whatever hobbies they can be into?

• +1 I feel the same way.

• American view. A lot of the Asians that come here push their children to do very well. After a few generations of being Americanized, they are going to be similar to whatever group they fit into socioeconomically.

If you look at Asian countries, they push their kids more academically. Similar things can be said about European countries. For the sake of brevity, I'll skip a story I heard about Chinese schools.

You would be glossing over the fact of the numerous amounts of people that provide

• cheat labor so that we in the west can have all the cool stuff we have.

There's really nothing that has been mentioned that can't be attributed to culture. I think things are being over simplified quite a bit.