Navy Blue suits and brown shoes. Yes or Naaaa or Never?

I was buying a plain Navy Blue suit for work and the guys over there who sounded very convincing advised me never to wear black shoes with a navy blue suit. He said it looked "warm" and "horrible". I always wore black shoes with navy. He said wear brown. What is YOUR opinion on that? Please cast a vote and also some lines if you can.

• I always wear black because it looks good/ok.
  • I always wear black because I never knew or never cared.
  • I never wear black because it does look bad.
In response to some comments, which were all appreciated, I work in a financial comapny and we always wear a tie. So, o cannot wear very light pants, unless I want change for a day. I have about 5-6 suits and 3-4 blazers of different shades so itnis not like mavu blue is the only color I would wear.

As for shoes, I am seeing an overwhelming vote in favor of brown. Ao thereust be some credence to that view. Thank you all.
This is an old post. In any case, I did try to experiment. With me, brown shoes and navy blue suit looked horrible. I tried a couple of shades of brown and both looked odd. So as always, not everything about fashion holds true with just anybody.

Most Helpful Girl

• well if you want to divert from the traditional black, fine do it but tbh I rekon it'd look so much hotter if the pants were a different color than navy... easier to match shoes with. this is probably nothing like what you wanted but I don't know a whole navy suit is ehh..

see something like this would be nice, but if you hate pink a white shirt would work too...

link

i hope my style isn't too out there and I hope it wasn't pointless:P

• Its a nice summer look, but its no longer a suit at that point. Its a different level of formality.

• Black is - in certain circles - not considered as appropriate for daytime.

Navy and charcoal are the two most traditional and conservative. If you wear suits regularly you will own both.

• oh OK, that's kool:)

i learnt something new in males fashion! thanks:)

What Girls Said 12

• i like and wear the color black very often, it's one of those colors that works on me.

But, yeah they are right. Multiple nutral colors do not work together. It's a major NO! NO!

Black, brown, dark/navy blue, etc. Do not work together they clash, and especially on shoes, it might work with a top and bottom, but I still doubt it.

• Never wear black shoes with a navy suit unless the shoes have a two-tone black and blue thing going on but the chances are unlikely. Also be careful with navy suits. They need to be of high quality to avoid looking like a suit-uniform. Good quality pin-stripes or pattern of weave can help avoid the uniform look.

• Never, never, never wear black and navy blue together. They clash!

• definitely brown, blue and brown compliment each other,

• Yea were brown. It looks better and is more fashionable.

• Dark brown will look good.I voted A

• Ya

• brown definitely

• brown would look good with navy blue depends on the intensity of brown..if its dark brown or light !

link

• if it is a dark brown it looks pretty well

• yes if the brown is in a darker shade.

• i am not that into that, but you could watch crazy stupid love and copy ryan goslingĀ“s style

What Guys Said 12

• Fads & fashion trends cycle of course, so consider the source, their age & industry.

I found it odd to see Letterman don brown shoes with a navy ensemble recently but trendy.

That said, the more conservative, traditional, military & historic presentation you wish to make to others would be black shoes with navy suit.

What you do with mix/match blazers/pants becomes more of a style/taste, every situation/combination judged by-the-day, informal wear. More time spent with a trusted tailor with refine these judgements over time.

I wouldn't think a GAG survey would net good results fro formal/business wear but might prove a good sounding board for informal.

• I can't vote for any of those choices.

Black is more formal. Brown slightly more casual.

If you lived in the U.K., black would be for 'the city' (i.e. London's financial district etc.) while brown is more for the country. The most conservative pockets of north America you'll still find older men who'd always wear black.

I probably wear brown shoes slightly more then black with navy. I probably like the look better, but its never wrong to wear black shoes with a navy suit, and in some contexts might be wrong to wear anything else.

• I normally wear black, although as a kid I had a navy blue one, I don't know what shoes youd wear though... speaking of though if you want nice shoes hit up Bostonians link theyre wood so that's a little annoying, but they shine f***ing immaculately, and don't puss out and buy corframs link

• It does not matter really. I avoid people in suits. People in suits are all crooks. Lawyers, Judges, Politicians, bankers and yes, people that work for financial companies.

Real people don't care what your shoes look like. I love to see people in those shoes try to walk on ice, its funny, especially if they slip and fall. Just like women who wear high heels on a brick street. Shakey, Shakey. Black goes with everything.

• Thanks for year invaluable comment.

• Oh no, very valuable. See a suit, run...

• Yes, and run fast. He will want to con you for your wallet, that is what all guys in suits do. They have to wear them so people "think" they are professional looking. But I would trust a hooker or a felon over a guy in a suit any day. Honestly, most guys in suits deserve to be the felon and the felon, not a felon.

• I voted A. Dark suit, dark shoes and belt

• Lol be different with your looks.

I just started wearing suit and jeans, and I've never had any bad comments on it.

• I wouldn't wear brown shoes with navy blue bottoms. In fact I don't every own primarily brown shoes, only black ones a d white ones so they match everything.

• Yes, it would look good. Just make sure your belt matches your shoes :-)

• I do that too. I have a navy suit for work and often wear brown shoes with it. I also wear black shoes with it too. Just make sure you wear the right color shirt (and tie if you wear those too) when you wear the brown shoes. I'm from London and a lot of guys over here wear that same combo. I guess it's actually becoming really common.

• Never mix black and blue when wearing a suit, especially a dark blue like navy blue.

• Brown

• This can work but it will draw extra attention to your shoes so make sure they are nice brown shoes!