Why are most models SO skinny and not that curvy? Do you think its excluding to other body types?

I posted a question about curves and the body they love best on women. Curves are very attractive apparently, and guys like a little something to squish on their girl instead of bone. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone:P

So OK the media adores skinny women, I get it:P but I don't c that many with curves either, like its just.. straight down. don't guys like curves? why doesn't the fashion industry show off more curvy figures? by curvy I mean with curves lol, not plus sized or whatever.

like I c these videos where models talk about how they got rejected because they were 'too fat' even though they looked quite underweight to the eye.

women with curvy figures make up a large part of the female population. also, not all of us look like the models and mannequins in shops. I hope no one misunderstands me and says this is a stupid question because I have considered everything there is to it, I just find the fashion industry a little excluding sometimes.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I guess it's got to do with how men and even women perceive beauty or being sexy for one. There was a time when a woman who has more flesh with larger hips was considered sexy against a slim woman. Slim women used to envy women with curvier bodies and wider hips.

2. The early fashion industry used to have women with toned bodies but curvier not thin ( link but guess over a period of time (a) the designers decided that thinner women will suit the role better since it's easier to be stick thin than maintain a toned yet curvaceous body. (b) exactly what 'WeaponZero' has stated.

2.1. Debate that women now want to be stick thin which is why models are that way remains debatable. I'd rather infer that owing to the industry showing clothing lines with thin models all the while for convenience of making easier fits than around curvy women, it became a rage and women want to be that way now and men see it as attractive.

No this is not a stupid question, I liked it

• very well put, good points and yeah that's what others have said as well. I guess each type of body has had its own time to shine over the years.

thanks for the answer=]

• my pleasure young lady :)

What Guys Said 8

• A friend of mine who works at a fashion design house basically told me it's a matter of function: When they design original prototypes and samples, it would be too difficult to take into account how much a woman's body shape can vary if she has curves. It is therefore easiest to design the original prototypes and samples (which are what models show off) around a figure that has no curves. It simplifies the design process.

• Ahh k I guess that's a logic explanation

• logicAL* .. wow haha

• Fashion models are not chosen to appeal to men.

Fashion models are chosen to appeal to women's idea of what they'd like to look like.

I would suggest they are in some ways an exaggeration of the opposite of what women wish they could change about their own bodies.

I will also suggest that the fashion world, rather then designing clothes that are flattering (which for most women might mean slimming), designs random sh*t then put it on waifs who will never look fat.

• But I don't wanna look like that?

I think its ugly...

• Okay.

Fashion magazines claim sales drop when they use more average size cover models, so you are I suppose in the minority.

• Oh I c, makes sense. Ty 4 explaining:)

• Cuzz if models looked like you, no one would pay any attention to the clothes. ; - )

• Lol that didn't really answer the question but thanks haha:)

• oh OK kool, but I don't mean curvy as in full figured. like what if she's skinny but has a curvier shape, you know?

• Well, my original response wasn't meant to be pure flattery. I truly believe designers want their clothing to be the star of the show, which precludes any more attention being drawn to the model than is practical. A pretty face with a stick thin body allows the clothing to shine but also makes a statement that attractive women should be drawn to the purchase of same.

• I have no clue. link

Model Requirements for a female compared to average American female:

(model) height: 5'8 to 6'0 5'4

(model) weight: 90lb- 120lb 165 (from 2006)

Model Requirements for a male compared to average American male:

(model) Height: 5'9 to 6'2 5'9

(model) Weight: 120lb- 170lb 195 (from 2006)

• Wow that's so stupid-.-

• Maybe it has to do with how the clothes hang on a taller person, but I have no clue.

• Maybe.. Yeh its still odd

• Gay men don't like curves? I know alota gay men dictate the industry. And also because it's easier to to fit clothes on women without shape.

• i guess so, but surely not all fashion designers are gay? maybe most are...

• I'm guessing this is a bad place to say that "Skinny is the norm for healthy, active humans" am I right?

• model skinny isn't-at that point menstruation stops,hair falls out,lack of energy,heart problems-not healthy. slim,is healthy. skinny link slim link

• am I supposed to be moved by that pathetic tale of woe?

• Well, no, because it's not a tale. It's the truth. Q_Q Okay, I'm going to lament my waste of a life now. Ta! :3

• It's cheaper to hire anorexic models then it is to design robotic coat hangers that can walk.

• I heard somewhere that gay guys run the model industry so I guess that means the female bodies they find attractive are closer related to males

• Really? Wow iv never heard that one

What Girls Said 11

• models can't have different bodies because it's not practical. they make clothes for skinny women because they hang better and they don't distract from the clothes with curves. and they all have to be the same size because they have to be easily replaced-if one can't come to the show,has a bruise,zits or something-they replace her easily and don't need new clothes. now,a lot of designers don't want to make clothes for bigger women because they don't like how they look on them-that's their choice. there are big models,there are clothes for bigger women-but it's not practical for it to be mainstream. big women have more variety in their shapes,a skinny girl won't be much different from another skinny girl. the problem is that women see those models as perfection,as something they should be-that's not true,nor is it desirable.

• Women have a misunderstanding of what curvy means

To men, curvy women range from Victoria's Secret models to Sofia Vergara. Curvy does not imply fuller figured, in which case, modeling with full figured women would limit their audience because its really only in the western world where obesity is such an issue and where people try to comfort themselves by calling themselves curvy

And most of the clothing modeled by thin women are meant exclusively for thin women because in the rest of the world, thin is the norm and certain clothes only look good on thin girls.

And if a woman has a pear shaped body or hourglass shaped body, then she's curvy. A lot of women are naturally ruler shaped and its great that they found an outlet that admires their body type for it cause a majority of women talk down about those body types.

I'll never understand why people place so much emphasis on the modeling industry. It's as though some women want a reason to justify their excess weight

• yeah I guess its a good way for ruler shaped girls to get recognised... but doesn't fashion need to access all body types? like if a pear shaped girl is watching her, her automatic reaction will be, 'i couldn't be able to pull that off', simply because her curves won't allow it as much...

i just think it should be more inclusive

• There are plenty of pear shaped models. They're just not thick

• Ok I havnt seen many of em on the runway

• Men aren't looking for a dress, so curves aren't really the #1 priority. It's for the women to examine the clothes they wear.

The fashion industry at least makes the clothes to your size so don't worry. At least YOU can wear the clothes UNLIKE me. I'm much to little.. 4'11" 85lbs and I wear a size 12 in kids usually. So be happy

• i like clothes as much as the next girl but to me the fashion world was not created to cater for the normal people, their industry is rife with unrealistic expectations so it is kinda sad that women look to them as a benchmark. I mean that is is just a formula for failure.

• link

It's because they are about the same size as the busts or mannequins that the clothing was designed on so the clothes maintain their desired look. Also there are social reasons for it that the link does a nice job explaining.

• well why can't they make different types of mannequins then? gahh I don't know I just don't get it...

thanks for the link tho

• Originally fashion designers chose skinnier girls for models because they wanted the illusion of having a hanger walk down the runway, which was impossible so they opted for the next best thing.

• Designers want "hangers"...THAT'S why.

• yes but one thing is guys tastes and the other is a fashion

• Yeah true but isn't one of the aims of fashion to appeal to the other sex also? Like I know its on the only purpose but it is one aspect.. I get where your coming from tho.

• Smaller sizes means less material, less work and money.

• models were basically meant to be walking hangers on the runway, to show off the clothing and that's it.

and by the way there's skinny women out there too like myself, try to be more respectful.

• No I never said anything against the body type, I'm just saying the industry should celebrate all body types.. Id never hate on anyone because of their body type? You misunderstood me

• there are also models who are not stick thin

• Yeah I know but for the thin ones, have you seen many with curves?