Why are there so much overweight Americans?

Every time when I watch an American reality show I'm shocked, because often 90% looks overweight and 50% looks bigger than anyone I've seen in real life. It also seems like they have a different perception of what's big or thin. They call an (in my opinion) rather chubby person skinny and are whining about models that they are all anorexic etc... Is this because they are used to the big amount of overweight people?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is a bigger issue here than other parts of the world, but it is not the 90% people who haven't visited seem to believe. If you visit the cities in the Northeast and the West Coast you may be surprised that obesity is not as widespread as you may expect..

As someone who is not overweight, I do get very annoyed when on an airplane or train, I'm forced to sit next to someone who is spilling over into my seat. That happens much more than it used to. I strongly believe I shouldn't be forced to sit in discomfort because of someone else's lack of self control. As for why, I think a lot of people are very inactive because they go everywhere by driving instead of walking, bicycling, or other forms of exercise. Diet plays a big role too, with a lot of people eating too much fast food instead of making healthier meals at home.

This is one of the reasons I am opposed to socialized medicine. Too many people make poor lifestyle choices and they should take responsibility for the resulting higher healthcare costs themselves as opposed to spreading the costs to other people who make an effort to lead healthy lives,

What Guys Said 9

• Too much fast food, too little exercise, too much identification with Oprah...

• Yes.

• "and 50% looks bigger than anyone I've seen in real life"

Where do you live?

• American reality shows are poor places to gather any form of data or information. TV personalities, even of just average people, are always eccentric.

• Regardless the "Obesity Epidemic" is a good question; it's worldwide so why America is undergoing it is not entirely clear. I would guess it would have to do with wealth, food content, the culture of Engorgement, and various other factors of the society.

• It sounds like you might have an eating disorder.

• they don't exercise and they eat a bunch junk food.

• All those chemicals especially in the food.

• So many overweight Americans? America is the land of judgement and due to catalysts like social media and reality television, Americans have a perception of what is "normal" and what is "overweight". Sure there are fat people in America, some are fat by genetics and not their own doing, and some are fat due to their lifestyle and convenience of elements which will continue to allow them to remain fat. The real problem is that it is forced down everyone's throats all-day and everyday that fat is bad, and people have complexes as a result. I've known people who have gone as far as to taking their own lives as a result of judgement from society about being fat. Sure there is no such thing as a healthy fat person, but in America you have the right to be whoever you want to be and however that is, well, is your choice.

• American's have plenty of food that they can afford, and live easier lifestyles than most of the world. Lots of our food additives have also been shown to increase appetite even more than what is normal.

What Girls Said 14

• 1) Unhealthy food is cheaper.

2) Fast food is everywhere and easier to get than cooking home cooked, healthy meals.

4) Large portion sizes

4) Laziness

5) Don't want to take responsibility for their own lifestyle choices.

6) The wide variety of chemically enhanced food.

I will add though that not every American is overweight like many foreign people like to believe. I mean, I'm 5'5" and only 113 pounds, I just choose to live a healthy lifestyle. And actually, MANY other countries have numerous amounts of overweight people too, not just the U.S.

• >>Laziness and the inability to put down the fork

>>Then they blame illness and hormones

>>And they get positive reinforcement with says such as "real men like curves" or "real women have curves"

>>Fat is also the norm, so many assume that in order to be skinny one must starve themselves, cause clearly there's no such concept of moderation

• finally someone who is honest!

• so true, also allot of people are unaware of all of the sugars, chemicals and other DANGEROUS crap that will make you fat/bloated. Americans need to demand a better quality of food. We're being fed trash, and unless you live next to a farm (for farmers markets) your pretty much screwed if you can't afford REAL food in the grocery stores. Health takes effort. And Being Healthy DOES mean being FIT and slim.

• link Altough with reality shows they often purpesly take overweight people.

The thing with models is neither is good. Models are underweight, pretty much all of them and that's just as unhealthy as being overweight. The avarge American is bigger than what would be healthy and the ideal is smaller than what would be healthy, none of them is good

• I'm not sure where you are from but I'm American and I'm not overweight. I mean look at my perfect 6 pack

Stop complaining about how a select few of us live. Yea there is a McDonald's on ever corner and a lot of us consume twice as much as others but you can't catagorize us like that at all.

You're ignorant and need to visit here before saying that

• While she's exagerating, 70% of Americans are overweight, 36% are obese.

In the netherlands, its 40% and 12%.

• The numbers can't be that high! I live in FL and I see in shape people all the time

• I think their genes, the type of food they eat, too much sugar and oil, and fast paced life style plays a big part in how they look.

• No, its because the food they buy consist of SUPERSIZE so they become supersized themselves ;-)

• becaus ethey don't have a good diet and stuff.

• Too many fast food chains

The fast food is cheaper

They don't get much exercise

They could have a medical condition that makes them overweight

• fast food and bad habits

• so many

• I imagine it's because so much of what we eat has chemicals in it.

Our portion sizes seem to be larger here.

And food is insanely accessible, all kinds of food.

I think most people have an accurate idea of what is thin and what is fat. Some may be in denial, some simply like bigger frames for people. And, most models are anorexic. Haha!

I used to be fat, I lost a ton of weight a few years ago.

• I'm not sure I agree with people's perceptions being accurate. Some people, sure. But overall ...

Gallup tracks not only weights, but also what people -say- their ideal weight is. What people say is ideal has gone up by about 10 lbs in the last 20 years. In fact people's ideal weight today is close to what the average actual weight was 20 years ago (when people thought they were 10 lbs overweight ...)

• Tell me about it. I think I'm going to Europe to find a guy that's actually in shape. All I see is fat guys over here

• Maybe if you went to the gym once in a while you wouldn't have that issue

• Weight is not evenly distributed in u.s. society. Where you live matters a lot.

• Because fast food tastes delicious

• The camera adds ten pounds..