Girls, have boys ever told you to stop wearing makeup?

Have you been minding your own business and some dude tells you to stop wearing makeup? It's happened to me so now I just go reapply my makeup in the restroom even if it's just chapstick because I don't want to hear them fussing.

If it did happen to you or someone you know, what exactly did the person say?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with leto on this one. I know many guys, including myself, have voiced that to some degree we like a girl with less makeup. But we don't usually do it so bluntly. It's usually more of just stating that we think you look beautiful without make up.

The reality, is I think most guys without realizing it really do prefer a girl with some make up. I don't know why but part of it is I think its just been the norm for so long, that a girl with make up is what guys especially have just come to accept as what a female looks like. So a girl without makeup with subconsciously appear less feminine. That said, I still do think most women could benefit from wearing less makeup. My rule of thumb is always, if I can tell you have make up on, then its too much. Some girls just really cake it on, and pull out all the tools (fake eye lashes, lipstick, eyeliner, eye shadow, blush, etc.) and the next thing you know she looks like a circus clown. I just don't like it when a girl clearly has an entire layer of make up on that I swear is about to come off o on my lips if I kiss her.

• Yea you're right. you're not supposed to put fake lashes, lipstick, foundation in large amounts on all at once.

So basically when a dude tells a girl to not wear makeup you do so as an act of kindness?

What about those who go too far as to assume a girl wearing any makeup is an insecure, superficial person?

• I should also add that the occasion is a key factor to how much you should be wearing. If its just a typical Sunday afternoon and your just bumbing, or doing some grocery shopping, having a ton of make up just looks tacky. But if you are going out to some formal dinner, a job interview, a dance, etc. Then a bit more make up is acceptable and doesn't look so out of place next to your your more extravagant clothes.

What Guys Said 1

• I've told many a girls to stop wearing make up, but not as an order. More of a "you look beautiful without make up, you should just embrace your natural beauty."

• Well I don't think that's bad. Do you tell this to random girls or just to girls you know?

• Girls I've generally talked to for awhile. I don't really talk with just random people anyways lol. And I don't say it to just girls I wanna date, I say it to ones I consider just friends and think need to realize they are beautiful as they are and don't need to wear make up or be insecure about anything about them.

• www.everydayhealth.com/thyroid-conditions/common-chemical-can-cause-thyroid-problems-in-women-study-finds.aspx

Hmm

What Girls Said 18

• Nope. All the guys in my student town go crazy for the girls who usually wear make up so I don't imagine why they'd want us to stop. I find it ironic how guys claim they prefer no make up when real life clearly proves them wrong. At least for the majority.

• Guys do like make up, we just don't like a lot of it. Some girls just cake it on like a circus clown.

• Haha. So true. It's so funny when guys say a girl is a natural beauty, but she's actually cake din make-up.

• I agree with both you guys.

• Yes! My ex told me he loved me without make up and loved that I had "natural" beauty to him. Most of the time when we went out, I wore very little or none.

• Yeah one annoying guy was saying that I don't need to wear makeup and why do I wear fake stuff.

I told him "you think I look good regardless of what I have on so there is no need for you to critique me, now is it?"

He got the point.

• Well at least he got the point, but then some guys and girls go too far and say that girls who wear makeup are insecure when that's not the case for all girls. If a girl wants to wear makeup, natural or unnatural colors, subtle or dramatic, than that should be their decision.

• I've never been told to. But, then again I rarely ever wear makeup. Guys seem to like me either way.

Well, I don't know can't really tell its been a while since I've worn makeup since I quit modeling.

• No. The guys I hang out with know I don't tend to take orders (nonconstructive, unrequested negative comments regarding my appearance) well.

• Not exactly, but my best guy friend has told me I don't NEED the make-up. lol

And before we became good friends when we were younger and I first started wearing eye shadow he was all like "why do you wear that?" lol

• I usually don't wear too much, so it isn't a problem, though I constantly hear boys complain about it to other girls. There was this one time, though, I went to a birthday party for a friend and my mom had made me wear eye shadow to look fancy, and a boy commented "How big of a pool did you have to jump into to get all that makeup on?". I wouldn't go anywhere near eye shadow for a good couple of months.

• No. The guys I hang out with and past boyfriends comment when I wear dramatic makeup (night out, etc) but that's cos they never see me with more than the basics. But then its usually a "woah you look different" rather than "take that off".

• Yeah that sounds about right. It can be weird seeing this girl who dresses quite casual all of a sudden totally dolled up. It's like looking at a totally different person.

• No, because I don't wear makeup.

• Mine is opposite-i have a guy friend who asked me to put on make up so that I can attract guys

It made me felt bad -_-"

• No but I got made fun of for wearing too much

• No,they say I look very good in them.I make my make-up as subtle and as natural as possible.

• Nope I barely wear make up

• Yes, but not in the way they do with most women. A lot of the time guys think that girls natural beauty is better, and they don't need to wear make up. However, for me I don't have natural beauty. I am not a pretty woman, so I do what I can with make up to improve myself. I don't cake it on or anything. I just wear eyeliner, red or pink lip gloss and mascara. However, the one day I was going for some professional photos done for the family, so I went and bought more make up than I wouldn't normally wear for it. When I was buying the make up, the guy cashier comment that I shouldn't wear make up. He said there wasn't enough make up in the world for a hideous woman like me, and why bother? That isn't the first time I've heard people tell me not to wear make up because it won't help, but that's the moment that has stood out for me the most. Someone as a cashier who is supposed to be a professional insulted me. I do get told often that I shouldn't wear makeup though because it won't help.

• No I can't say that a guy has told me this.

• no guy has ever told me that

• i hardly ever wear any makeup, so the few times I have and just started putting it on in front of my boyfriend, he got almost upset about it and asked why I was putting it on

• no, most guys can even tell when a girl is wearing make up unless it is obvious

i wouldn't listen to the guy and I would tlel him to mind his own business