Advice or tips in helping re-do my little brother's wardrobe?

Pretty self explanatory; I want to help my little brother in the transition to high school. The reason why he doesn't have much style or sense of taste I guess, is because my brother and I have been in a kindergarten to 8th grade private religious school that were very very strict uniforms regulations, (and to just help anyone understand how we deprived fashion sense; it was not allowed to have any student wear socks that didn't cover the entire ankle, then my last year there, they had adjusted the rule to socks must meet on the ankle or above. We were seriously overjoyed to have one cm less of sock... So yeah it wasn't much mind to even bother with style beyond just neccesities.) So back to what I was getting at, having wore uniforms all out life, we were deprived of that sense growing up. I found my way quickly, but I want to help him out now since he is a little lost, and now that he gets to wear regular clothes everyday, I want to really clean the slate with his whole closet, and work from the ground up. He is a very sweet kid,and extremely extremely smart, so he comes off like an awkward nerdy stick figure with low self eestem . So any tips on how I can help with the transition to help him gain more confidence and sense of style? It'd be really helpful if I get insighted tips from guys or expereinces. Also things to help him be more open to changes and help introducing him to new things and my ideas and suggestions! Thanks so much! (:

Honestly, I have great taste in clothes, I just need to get broader spectrum I guess to make the best suggestion I can to present to him.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a three-year (well, almost three year) veteran of retail and menswear, I'm more than happy to assist :-)

This will be long, but it should be helpful for him.

For someone of his age, a good starting place is a nice pair of khakis and a couple of good polos. Note that "khaki" is a color, but it's also a style of pants (at my clothing store, they're also called "cotton twill".). I like khaki and British tan. For the polos, get a burgundy and a navy blue at least. Experiment with other colors and patterns as well.

His belt should be one to two inches larger than his waist. A lot of guys today get flat-front pants. I mostly wear mine pleated, but I can do plain as well. Pleated looks like this... link

It would also be good to pick up some wrinkle-resistant dress shirts. Get at least a white and a French blue. Those are two surprisingly versatile colors. As for the ties (get some of those as well), start out conservative and get a couple of solid ties, preferably red and blue. If he feels particularly confident about his choices, maybe get a striped pattern (Make sure he learns how to tie it!). I prefer spread collar shirts. You'll see why soon.

Side note: Real men wear pink (since he's new to menswear though, I wouldn't put him in it quite yet if he's not comfortable...but seriously, it's great).

Top it off with a good blazer or sportcoat (blazer would probably be the better start). Spread collar shirts square off better with the lapels of the jacket. It just looks a lot better. A little bit of his shirt's cuff should show under the jacket's sleeve (which should fall right at the break of the wrist). Jackets are measured by chest size and by the length of his torso (though height is usually they key factor). For example, I'm about 6'2" with an athletic build, so I wear a 41 long. I might measure differently from store to store though.

One very important rule: His shoes and belt must ALWAYS match.

Whew. So that's his beginner's guide right there. Sooner or later, he might want to move into actual suits. See, suits will really make him look awesome.

Anyway, here are a couple of sample looks... link link link

And just a little tune to help him feel more confident... link

I hope that helped!

• dude...the kid is in high school...there's no need to GQ him up or he'll get his ass kicked and clothes stolen or burned. lol All he needs is jeans, sneakers, a few button up shirts, tshirts, and hoodies.

• My ex literally always referred to GQ magazine and he was the popular kid. Just saying.

• Gawsome, I am GQing nothing. Guys at my high school dressed like that all the time.

What Guys Said 7

• Bring him to the men's section of any store, follow him, but let him pick and choose what he wants. You'll immediately know if something looks good on him or not (being a girl as well his older sister), which you can provide feedback, but you have to let him find his style just like how you found yours on your own. Ultimately though, don't worry about it... it's just normal clothes. :)

• Avoid graphic tees. One with big logos (Hollister, Diamond, Fox, Aero) and flashy images (Guns, explosions, cars)

Also go with flat front shorts opposed to cargos. The length should cover half the knee.

Find a basic pair of plimsolls in a neutral color, such as black or grey. Vans are great. Running shoes are for running!

• I hear high school boys like to dress like this: link lulz. :P

• Get him some cool cloths like shorts any kind would be nice maybe carpenter and athletic shorts. Find some name brand stuff like Nike, underarmer, stuff like that. And don't forget the shoes buy some cool looking sneakers like Nike and new balance. I should know I started high school last year.

• there is no standards don't worry be happy

google it: "boy wear styles"

• Your poor brother... having hot older sisters SUCKS!

• I'm not hot... if anything he is the good looking one actually, he just is in that awkward puberty transition stage which is never anyones best moment.

• You are hot. It's nice you're looking out for him!

• Don't. Guys who dress "in style" can be made fun of for being "metro" which is just a straight way of saying gay. Let him dress the way he wants. You dress how you want, let him be him

• My boyfriend dress very very well, and he doesn't come off as gay to anyone... It just depends how you act, obviously if you are flamboyant wearing the the raf simmons 2014 collection then its a totally different other story.

• He may not be told he looks gay, but a lot of people probably think it

What Girls Said 4

• get him some plain v-necks button Downs some slim regular jeans and Sperry's or converse and he's good to go

• I honestly thin you should start him off subtly and kinda simple, like jeans and and vnecks (because those can look great) until he gets a chance to see how te guys dress at his new high school. You don't want to start him off straight into ties and blazers right away because he might run the risk of appearing over dressed. And just shop with him so he can explore what he likes. Make him try on stuff for you and see what suits him best.

• go to tumblr and search stylish guy, you will find a lot of ideas

• i would buy him chinos pants and shorts. buttong downs, plaids, henleys, good sweaters, good jeans.