Is it wrong for a man to be too trendy and fashionable?

I'm a 27 year old man, single by choice since more than 4 years. As you all know, the choices in fashion for men is EXTREMELY limited compared to women. Like we have to stick with shirts/t-shirts and trousers or shorts. As a man, I'm really trendy and fashionable. I mean...I extend my fashion to the maximum extent possible as a man. Also, I own quite a lot of clothes, and most people I know tell me that they haven't seen me repeat outfits often. But, I also get loads of negative remarks. Some of them include 'You're not a woman to own so many clothes', 'Your fashion sense is too trendy for a common man, it would better suit a high society millionaire', 'men of your age need to dress in a sober way' and 'your dressing sense gives the impression that you're an irresponsible man who is too casual about life'. I just don't understand it. I never wear very low rise jeans/trousers which exposes my boxers or crack, nor do I wear shorts in public. But I do wear T-Shirts with trendy prints/slogans/logos, sleeveless T-Shirts occasionally during hot weather (which are quite conservative because they just look like sleeves cut off from a normal T-Shirt, and not like vests/racerbacks) and sometimes ripped/torn jeans (very mildly ripped or torn, nothing of shock value). And I don't even have any tattoos or piercings. Now a question to you people, are these people justified in criticizing the way I dress? Am I doing something wrong, even though I feel I'm not crossing my limits? And an exclusive question for ladies, would you be willing to date/marry a man like me, or are you likely to feel that I'm too irresponsible and casual to be in a committed relationship?

P.S. I'm talking about my dressing style only outside of work. Although my company doesn't actually specify a dress code, I always go to work professionally dressed in neatly ironed formal full sleeved shirts and trousers, formal shoes and often a tie as well.

Most Helpful Girl

• What you wear is your freedom, don't be too bothered by what those people commented. I like guys in simple tee and jeans but it is also good to see guys who dress up In stylish manner.

I was told by my friend that dressing up well is a respect for others. I like to dress up too.

Most Helpful Guy

• In chna men have more freedom at least to wear trendy T shirts, just like the women. Also the trousers can be more varied than in the US.

Funny how, in spite of gay marriage etc., guys are usually called gay if they dress up in a lively way at all.!

I also think it's not fair to limit men so much In Italy as well guys have a little more freedom to wear different colors and styles, there's not the idea that if you're over 25 you hawlays have to be 'soberly' dressed.

• Well...I'm not actually from the US. I reside in an Asian third world country.

• Best Answer, no?

• Done! :)

What Girls Said 9

• no its fine to your title question.

• I would think he's a homo

• Could you kindly explain how would a man's dressing sense make him homo?

• I'm just laughing at your ignorance. This is ridiculous. You mean to to say ONLY gay men should be fashionable? I agree, guys who cross dress or wear pink clothes may seem gay, but to think every fashionable man is gay, would be plain ignorant.

• It's an opinion

• I personally wouldn't want my boyfriend to be all about fashion, mainly because I'm not. I probably dress like a gap catalog, very simple effortless. I could honestly wear converse, skinny jeans and a tshirt everyday with some nice jewelry. If my boyfriend was very fashionable I guess I would feel like I have to fix myslef to look "right" next to him. So honesty il pass on the fashionista boyfriend, I'll go for the simple jean and tshirt guy who knows how to clean up on a fancy date. But to answer your question, I live in NYC born and raised. In manhattan you see very trendy men , there is nothing wrong with you. People just have different fashion sense, you do what makes you feel good. Dressing causal with no makeup and my hair in natural curls makes me feel good.

• I love when a man is stylish in his own way. Don't listen to anyone else, I'm sure you look great!

• Absolutely not. We need more guys like you

• i woul think it is ok

• I would think you were a homosexual

• So if a women dresses in a trendy way she's confident and desirable, but if a man does the same, he's a homosexual! Wow awesome analysis! By the way, how do you define the relationship between a man's dressing sense and his sexual orientation, unless he's a cross dresser?

• Because he has a lot of pairs of jeans and t-shirts?

Wow.

• ahahah butthurts

• Yes! It sucks!

• I don't think so. I mean, if you want to dress that way, then dress that way.

"Too irresponsible and casual to be in a committed relationship?" You can't correlate the way a person dresses with their ability to be in a committed relationship.

What Guys Said 0