Is fashion the only thing that makes a girl, girly, these days?

seems as though with all the advancements in womens rights and all that, that fashion is the only girlie girl thing..

like, what I'm saying is does dressing girly, make a girl, girly, or is it more than just the clothes?

Most Helpful Girl

• haha yeah its more than just clothes, I think it's a lot of factors and it changes from person to person.

my idea of girlie is:

- she smiles a lot

- she has a cute/youthful face

- she doesn't curse (much or at all)

- she likes things like candles, animals, chick flicks, pop music, etc.

- she always has clean polished nails

- loves skirts and dresses

- takes care of herself hygienically and image wise

- likes to be/feel protected

its relative really, I mean I consider myself pretty girlie (as I fit most of what I said) BUT I also love rock music, piercings, scary movies and video games.

being girlie is being feminine, I don't really understand much of women's rights but yeah if she's not feminine then I guess she's not "fully" girlie I hope that made sense lol

What Girls Said 11

• Not really the only thing... I like headbands a lot and colorful lipstick, I get my nails done, my apartment is decorated in a feminine way with girlie furniture, decor etc... I use a lot of emoticons when texting, I have cute mannerisms like the way I bite my lip and shrug sometimes while grinning or that I like to be cuddly because I'm petite and I get excited about violet things and flowers and puppies... I'm pretty cutesy but with a laid back personality so that I don't make guys want to gag lol..

• I wouldn't say her clothes have much to do with it. More her personality. If she giggles unnecessarily or likes to wear fake hair or gets annoyed when her nail varnish chips or is just silly in terms of priorities I'd call her girly. I'm not girly. I love fashion and dress well but I have no time for bitchiness, flakiness, fakness and generally silliness that you see in a lot of girly-girls. I know there are different understandings of girly. I tend to equate it to the negative. If there's a nice girl who takes care of her appearance without losing site of what's really important and just how unimportant her looks are then I'd think of her as a young lady.

• Literally, its our vaginas that make us girls :p a lot of people judge girls on what they wear so for such people fashion is what makes a girl girly. This is however obviously not true. Being a girl embodies certain traits. Not that these traits are not present in guys. They just appear in a different proportion. Girls are usually more self conscious. Usually. Their features are softer so are their voice. Their style of thinking is a little different. But these are just generalisations. Each girl had specific qualities that make her girly. Some are very obviously girlie and some seem to be tom boyish. I know I took a journey to ramble ville :p but I hope this answers your question

• I consider myself pretty girly. I like wearing nice things, dressing up for my boyfriend and smiling when I see babies.

• no,i've been told I'm girlie because I'm quiet and respectful and because I have feminine features (i'm not really a feminine person,i'm just introverted) so old fashioned femininity is still recognized as feminine it's just that we've developed different ways of being feminine too.

• I don't wear girlie clothes but I still feel feminine. It's more about how you act and your personality..

• That's what most of these girls think as many has lost their class.

There is a lot more than what one appears to be on the outside.

A lot of people look for class and affluence through material things like expensive gadgets, designer clothes, accessories & costly vacation trips. When you check their background its sad the lengths people go just to create an illusion of a perfect life, to impress others

• I think it's more about how she acts and her personality that makes her truly girly, but clothes, hairstyles and accessories can be a big part too.

• I like cuddling soft toys, playing with my pets...Do I pass as being girly? =\

• It can be her haircut, nails,

• well, I think our vaginas still make us the most girly...

• I don't think so.

Just because someone dresses girlie, doesn't actually mean she IS girlie.

To me, a girl is girlie when she likes girl things - spa days, manicures and pedicures, shopping, listens to girlie music, loves chick flicks, reads romance novels, can't fix a car or change a tire, hates outdoor dirty stuff, etc. Stuff like that.

I dress pretty feminine, but I'm not really girlie at all.

What Guys Said 1

• What about her personality, attitude, hobbies and interests? All those things could be girlie.

• Well her personality and attitude could be feminine. The way she walks and talks, he mannerisms. Maybe her hobbies could include things that usually appeal to a woman; gardening, home making, etc. I will admit that since women have joined the workforce that women have taken on more of the man's role and vice-versa. But I still think there are ways other than just how they dress that sets them apart.

• yh I don't think its girlie when females just berp out loud in public