Should girls smile in pictures?

Often in pictures with multiple girls, I find the one that's not smiling to be the sexiest. The others who act silly and smile do not look attractive at all. I'm told I have a pretty smile. But what looks sexier in a picture?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not smiling makes the one stand out, the odd one out, not necessarily the sexiest one. Subconsciously, guys see the unsmiling, pouting girl as a conservative, secretive, or "bad" girl, one they'd like to just sleep with. The other smiling ladies are ones guys would actually want to date and be with because they create this persona of being able to let go and have a great time and be honest about what they're feeling.

If a guy should meet these girls in a social situation after seeing such a photo, the one who was not smiling will probably be ignored. If he should meet them each in person, the guy would probably orient the conversation towards a fling while the others would be asked out on a date.

Try a picture with just one girl smiling; the effect is the same, she stands out, but the implications are the same too, she's more comfortable and outgoing than the rest of the group.

Unless it's a solo portrait or you're all going to pout, please, listen to the cameraman, say cheese, and smile.

What Guys Said 9

• It depends on the theme of the picture. There are scenes/times when it's best to smile because it makes you look more... open and happy which raises the moods of people who are looking at the picture. And sometimes, looking serious gives the impression of a powerful and tough girl which can be really sexy. But not always. So, it depends.

• Depends.

See, a person might look "sexier" when they're not smiling, but smiling makes you appear more open and approachable, and less like a heinous bitch.

SO... it depends. Do you want to look like a sexy ice queen, or an approachably cool chick?

• Smiling would be a whole lot better than those stupid duck faces girls do!

• Sure sometimes... A smile doesn't necessarily make an ugly girl pretty though - a smile on a woman doesn't increase nor decrease her attractiveness (at least to me)

but I think we'll all agree that men should smile more in their pictures ;)

• Oh definitely. Some men have gorgeous smiles, but they're too "cool" to show them.

In my experience, the people with the ugliest smiles tend to smile in pictures, whilst the ones with the prettiest smiles tend not to. Go figure

• I guess that makes sense. Maybe you just have a very specific sense of humor?

• Indeed I do...

I just feel that a smile should be genuine - Not forced or fake... even though many times I have to do so just to maintain my sanity lol

• Yes, and it's proven to be better: link

• Just sometimes, I had a friend in Facebook on her every picture she was smiling so idiotic lol

• Do smile.

Think of how guys take pics of themselves and they try not to smile, and they end up looking like sociopaths or emokids instead of tough macho men. Women shouldn't do that.

• I like smiles!

..but why can't I be more photogenic? :(

• Smiles look better normally

What Girls Said 9

• yes we should:)

or you know what? in a photo, its best to give off a facial expression that shows how you feel... that way you won't b faking it.

as others said, it depends on the focus of the image. if your in a photoshoot for example ofcourse you will b asked to do different things.

but I'm sure your question meant in general so ill just say yes, smiling makes anyone look better:)

• Well I think smiles are more attractive, they make someone look like a more approachable and/or happy person. Especially if you have a pretty/attractive smile it just adds to your attractiveness. At the same time I don't always follow my own advice because I don't like my smile lol.

• Correct you are on the approachability factor... but almost NEVER will a smile alone make someone who is unattractive attractive ;)

• Well I think they should. But it depends on their settings.

funeral= serious sad faces

party= smiling and laughing

• Smiling makes you look more friendly than the others esp, if you are in a group pic. I juz smile in all my photos, cos I feel awkward not smiling in a photo... I dun noe what else to do. I don't like duck faces so there goes all the other options haha.

• trying to look sexy doesn't work most of the time.

So smiles for me. It makes you look more warm, open, friendly, approachable.

But a small smile can also be sexy. Or a smile with the lip bite.

• Smiles can be very attractive. But you can tell when people are faking a smile and that makes it worse. If you are not feeling in the mood for a picture then don't take it.

• Studies show that men find women more attractive when they smile (compared to other emotions), while women find men more attractive when not smiling (as compared to other emotions). Not sure if it's the same with looking sexy.

• It is attractive but there is nothing wrong with being serious but I cannot stand duck faces!

• yea same, the ones where I'm caught off guard look the best.