Do you think those who don't care how they look are also less superficial?

Yes

No

• Yes, they're less superficial
  • No, they aren't neccessarily superficial
  • I dunno/ just wanna see the results
Yes, they're less superficial

No, they aren't necessarily less superficial

Most Helpful Girl

• I always liked clothes and I always tried to look my best (it´s not my priority, it´s just something I enjoy because it makes me feel womanly). However, there was this one girl I knew in school who was extremely unattractive (not because she was "ugly", but because she wouldn´t wash her hair, put on perfume, wear feminine clothes, etc.) and she aways made fun of me and told me I was silly for spending money on clothes and that I should spend it on books. She was trying to create a stereotype: she was the smart one who read a lot and who didn´t have time to care about her appearence and I was the stupid, superficial, Malibu barbie who only cared about her looks.

The truth is that she wasn´t a smart person, she wasn´t even a good student and she didn´t go to college or anything (not that going to college makes you smart, but you get my point). Me on the other hand, I was a great student and now I´m a lawyer and guess what, I still wear great clothes, make up and care about my looks.

Anyway, my story sounds a bit like Legally Blonde, but I´m just tired of lazy, unattractive people bashing and ridiculing people who actually care about how the present themselves in the world.

What Girls Said 9

• Sometimes, but sometimes this can translate into them being self righteous which would be even worse.

Caring how one looks in a superficial way is something entirely different than taking care of oneself in a healthy way. It's fine to care about the way one looks (within reason), as long as it's based in a healthy balanced, (while still humble), self view.

• No. I know people who don't give a damn about how they look and they still have appearance based standards for a partner. That's pretty superficial, if you ask me.

• they could just be lazy

• Not necessarily they could be depressed.

• Yes, I agree.

• I think it depends. I've seen a lot of people who aren't even considered necessarily "attractive" or someone to even take good care of themselves, yet expect so much from a partner. Which is kind of weird to me, how are you going to have certain standards or requirements a person should have if you can't even attain them yourself. ContradICTory...hmm

• Not really

• no, probably depressed though.

• Most likely

What Guys Said 3

• Hard to say, really. In my experience it seems about even. Half of them are not shallow or superficial, and the others are, just not about themselves (which makes them hypocrites to boot).

• id imagine but they're uglier too :/

• I think it's stupid to not care how you look