But aren't women supposed to like taller men?

I hear a lot of guys complaining that women like or prefer guys much taller, or say women should only go for guys 1-3 inches taller.

A girl on one of the questions pointed out the average height differences alone are about 5-6 inches of difference in the united states. So at the very least, it seems like the average woman and man should be attracted to at least 5-6 inches of differences, or that will be the standard or norm. The whole love for tall men just adds onto that but even without it, if the average woman and average man are going to be paired together, there would still be more than 1-3 inches of difference.

What do you think?

What height difference do you think is best for yourself and other people?

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone likes different things. Its cool to talk about reasoning behind our preferences, but you shouldn't be pissed with people for their preferences. Some guys have a serious issue if you're a woman who likes tall men. Even some tall women I've talked to about this have a bitter tone when I tell them I love much taller guys.

I'm average for us - 5'4. The guys I've been with are 6-14 inches taller. I love tall men, its hot that they can tower over me and I think the whole traditional "short girl, tall guy" thing where you reach up to kiss them is super cute. But its not for everyone, and I wouldn't push my ideals on other people. I won't be pissed if a taller guy isn't trying to visit munchkinland and wants tall women instead. Its totally fine. Everyone has insecurities, these bitter guys should keep that in mind. I love my height, but there are days when I would love to be a 5'10 amazon with a powerful, elegant presence. But guess what? It ain't gonna happen. So everyone should just stfu and sit down :)

The whole 1-3 inch rule is something you should follow if its what YOU want, but that probably wouldn't work for most people if you're insisting that other people should date that way. That would only work for tall women dating average and tall men, and short men dating average/short women. I don't think there are enough women tall enough or enough men short enough for that to ever be a normal pattern or standard in relationships. Seems like a huge chunk of people would be left out.

What Girls Said 6

• I love taller men but I never have that problem of being taller then them because I am only 4'10. I am a foot shorter then most guys.

• i really don't care about height. I'm really picky about other stuff, I can't afford to be picky about that. I've dated guys exactly my height before. I don't have a preference.

• i'm 5'1-ish. like the first anon girl wrote, 99% of dudes are taller than me, so it in't a big deal. a tall guy is nice, but nowhere near a requirement.

• I don't think about height too much. Besides, all guys around my age are taller than me because I'm 4'9 or 10.

• because genetics made it that way.

• I'm not really picky when it comes to height, but as someone who is 5'2", essentially every man is taller than me, so I don't need a "tall" guy to have someone who is taller than me.

Again, I don't really see a guy and think "oh, he's about five inches taller, that should do it," but because I am short I am attracted to shorter guys because they don't seem short to me.

But if I see a really sexy guy who is much taller than me, I will still fall for him. So yeah, height isn't really something that goes through my head.

What Guys Said 3

• height doesn't really bug me, but I prefer her to be about my height for make out purposes

• I think their problem is that the average height for an American woman is 5'4" and the average height for men is about 5'9". As you can tell, the difference is 5 inches. However, you still always hear women saying they like the 6'0" or over guys, which would be fine if it was only a handful of girls that preferred that. It just seems like more than that.

Considering there are other physical attributes that can't be changed that people think it's wrong to have a preference for, why not the same for this one?

I don't if there is a perfect height difference. I haven't really thought about in general. I'm 5'11" and it would be cool to have someone around my height, but it's never been something I thought extensively about and it's certainly not a prerequisite.

• Have you ever had to kiss someone six inches shorter than you? It's horrible. If you're not within an inch you can GTFO.

• what if she was on top? or straddling you? I dated someone a whole foot taller than me and it wasn't horrible.

• Well if you're atop someone only the torso counts and in humans there's a much smaller differentiation. In general though a lot of kisses occur whilst standing as a greeting or departing action. My experience is my own I guess.