Soooo, are cargo shorts out of style now?

When I was in college (late 90s - late 2000s...no, I'm not a doctor, lol) cargo shorts were all the rage. If you weren't wearing cargo shorts, you were weird. The whole Abercrombie and Fitch look was in, which I still think is a great style, although the brand is kind of played out.

Then Superbad came out and Jonah Hill had the line about "no one's gotten a hand job in cargo shorts since 'Nam." All of a sudden, I feel like everyone started clowning them. Yet I still see them EVERYWHERE. they still sell them in stores, and I still see normal looking people wearing them. I was talking to a girl who was 21 last month, and she was like "UHH, you should ONLY be wearing cargo shorts." And she was a hot chick, so I take that opinion seriously, lol. But I still hear people joke about them.

So all you young'uns...are cargo shorts all good or not? Obviously they're more casual and you don't wear them to the club, but I just mean on the day-to-day.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well...that line from the movie is not true. I give my boyfriend hand jobs AND blow jobs in his cargo shorts. Lol

Anyway, I don't really care. I think the style looks fine.

What Girls Said 6

• Right now, they're on trend again.. Especially for those into hip-hop/street style clothing but some people may still think it's ridiculous because they're not as adventurous in what they wear.

• I must've missed it when they went out, lol. Mid-2000s I wouldn't have been caught dead in anything else. Only my 60 year old boss made fun of them. I'm noticing that hip-hop style is picking up the discarded "suburban" styles lately. I live in the hood and all the black and Puerto Rican guys are wearing skinny jeans, Vans, and clothes from Hollister, walking around with skateboards. Must be the tradeoff for corny white kids from the 'burbs talking about "swag" 8 years too late, lol.

• sorry I don't keep up with what's going on over there. not popular here.

• I never liked the style couldn't see the point of the over sized pockets

• I don't own any. But my boyfriend is wearing them now.

• Yes they are lame

• hahaha great movie line.

Idk...as a girl, I don't really care to be honest. As long as you're comfortable, why not? My boyfriend is around your age and that's pretty much all he wears lol. I have some guy friends that do, too.

What Guys Said 5

• "no one's gotten a hand job in cargo shorts since 'Nam."... myth busted.

I prefer cargo shorts over pretty much any other style. I lean towards a more formal cargo short but nothing is wrong with the bulky pairs ether. They're still in style and I doubt they will ever really go out of style for men. We're limited in selection enough as it is.

• it's a movie. not a documentary

i see people wearing cargo shorts everyday. I think they are style plenty stylish

• I stopped wearing them in about 94. Though I never bought 'cargo shorts'. in the early 90s people were actually wearing military surplus, re hemmed or cut as shorts.

• eh theyre okay I never wear then because they don't fit my style and I've never had anyone tell me TO wear them but I mean sh*t man where what you want most women will overlook a mans casual style as long as you look halfway decent in nice clothes lol...

• So the hot chick that said "UHH, you should ONLY be wearing cargo shorts." I wonder how was she dressed? lol Never heard anyone really say that.

Only the male tourists from the mid-west/south wear cargo shorts around here. You can spot them a ways away lol. It's just that it's a dated fashion that refused to die because the extra pockets are actually useful. Who doesn't want more pockets?

Look man, they don't look weird or bad so wear 'em. Here's a something, next time you see a man/women wearing a hybrid of cargo shorts/ carpi pants walk near them and you'll hear a foreign accent. Europeans love these feminine tight fitting shorts..

• Hmmm...interesting. I'm from Massachusetts, I still see them everywhere. But there's a blog website I read, targeted at the 18-35 audience, and people in the comments often ridicule cargoes if there's a picture with someone in them. But these are probably the same a$$holes who wear Nantucket red (pink) shorts with boat shoes and their sweater tied around their neck, lol. Oh, FYI, I had ASKED that chick about cargoes, she didn't say it just out of the blue.