What do you think China looks like?

My teacher give us a homework ,let us to investigate "what does china look like in feigners'eyes",so I put that question in this website ,could you guys give your answers to me ? like it is a big country with a lot of people or it is a corrupt country and so on .says what you want to say ,thank every answer !

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I lived in shanghai for 2.5 years as an expatriate, for my dad's job.

i went to the shanghai American school, and that was all like foreign kids. but the city is so crowded, and so many cars and so much traffic. beijing, shanghai, hong kong, and the other big cities are quite modern with some "old towns", but there are also rural areas towards the center of the country.

the difference between the ways expats live and the way the nationals live is very different. I lived in a gated compound where there were guards guarding 24/7, and houses were very modern. there are many compounds like that, my favorite nearby me was a racquet club so they had a pool, tennis courts, spa, etc.

and we did have plumbing.. we didn't live in huts.. we had roads haha. so many elevated highways too. actually, something like 20% of the world's cranes are in china right now because they are building so much.

it really was a better life than living in the USA, at least for expatriates.

feel free to ask anything else!

• oh and there is a lot of censorship. the government controls the press, basically. for a while, they blocked google, YouTube, Facebook, and other sites. us international kids used VPNs though to get past those, and our school had internet that went through hong kong so we weren't limited.

and there is corruption, unfortunately. oh and a lot of smog, especially in beijing. I used to go to softball tournaments up there at the international school of beijing. the smog has gotten so bad that

• they built two domes over the gym and over the athletic fields. they also have an adidas store on campus. I'm jealous, we never had that in shanghai haha

What Girls Said 4

• Pollution everywhere, foggy skies. Streets filled with people.

• it's industrial but not technologically advanced as Japan.

• People everywhere and very sh*tty homes, no working toilet and no working everything.

• pretty acurate :P but some of the most expensive and nicest houses the world are in China. I stayed at my families home there which is valued at about $11,000,000USD and it was wonderful! brand new and not at all what I expected for china

• haaa... yeah if you're not in a big city. but also, the people that live in rural china don't see it as a loss with their house and toilets, they're satisfied with what they've got. they don't feel the need to have extravagant material items as we do.

• Crowded, crowded and crowded.

What Guys Said 10

• I see China as strongly government run and a bit as a prisoner country. I've been there personally and there is tons of corruption and poverty. There are people I know there who have nannys that live it a broom closet, not even a joke... an actual broom closet. They get one day off a week usually from about 7am to 7am the next day then its right back to work and they get paid next to nothing. I believe her rate was about $30HK a day. That's about $5USD. All kinds of social media is also blocked from the public, the internet is all government monitored. I see China as what it is, a corrupt global powerhouse. Loved the vacation there and my uncle loves doing buissness there (only cause he's loaded and sees all the great things about china) lots of very proud people there and Big Mac meal is only $3usd in Hong Kong (which is actually a British Colony but is in China). Hong Kong is run differently to the rest of china and I saw less corruption there but I'm sure there is still lots.

• It's a culture shaped by Buddhist and animist beliefs, but marxist in terms of their outlook on current society.

There has never been such a society before anywhere! One of the great experiments in social structuring ever seen in all human history..whether you like it, or not!

• Their current government couldn't be farther away from marxist ideals.

• You don't know anything about marxism, or about the current government, with all due respect.

They are't perfect, but it's just nonsense to say they have 'nothing to do' with marxist ideals. They're all trained in marxism from childhood, have read the texts, refer to it constantly.

• The 19th century was the century of the UK. The 20th century was the century of the U.S.. The 21st century is shaping up to be the century of China. The Asian economy is growing based on real fundamentals and real wealth. The Chinese don't value things like derivatives as we do in the west. Wealth to the Chinese comes from the ground, which is why they've been scooping up all kinds of mining/drilling deals across all of Africa. I believe that the wars of 21st century will mostly be over resources, and so China is getting ahead of the game by utilizing checkbook diplomacy. Opening their wallets and striking deals for the resources they want. In contrast, the U.S. still uses gunboat diplomacy to get much of those resources. The Chinese government may be corrupt, but they are arguably a lot more intelligent than your average congressman. Unlike here in the west where parties and leaders are only thinking about the next election, these guys are thinking 10 -20 years into the future. So no matter who is in charge, the core agenda stays in tact. One of those agendas has been to displace/challenge the U.S. dollar as the world reserve currency, which they are doing by purchasing gold bullion. in 2011 wikileaks cable confirms this, among other sources

link

The Chinese people as a whole are poor, but they are hard working, and are large savers. They save something like 25% of their income on average, versus Americans who only save about 0.5% on average. The country is quickly modernizing with all the latest in western amenities. It is by no means a backwater if you are in any of the major cities. Overcrowded yes, but its modern. So financially I think the country is doing fine, though they are not immune to periodic shocks. Socially, the country obviously needs work. I mean, its not stalinist russia, but its still lacking where certain freedoms are concerned. In China, the people are treated as a means to an end. Little pawns that can be shuffled around to meet objectives. Upward social mobility is still a pipe dream for many people. It remains a country where I would love to do business in, but not live in (or be a citizen of).

In my opinion, China will remain a stable country as long as the economy stays where its at and they continue to plow ahead with no recessions, which they have done for 30 years. An unbelievable feat when you consider that the U.S. has a recession every 4 - 6 years over that same time period. China will continue to play it smart by letting the U.S. blow up the middle east while they make quiet deals below the radar for the same resources. The Chinese people I hope will gain more access to some of the things we take for granted here. Honestly though, if the Chinese begin to consume as much as we do here in the west, there won't be much of anything left

• A lot of overcrowding, pollution because of overcrowding, problem with economy. I like trains and transit, I saw several videos on YouTube which show a subway station during rush hour in a big Chinese city where special workers literally push people with all their strength into the trains to fit the maximum amount of passengers. It's pretty incredible.

• It's always overcast there and nothing is in color.

• a bustling metropolis with small homes and lots of people and in the rural areas a bunch of villages of farmers in rice paddies living in bamboo huts with dirt floors...but the bustling metropolis comes to mind first...

• One giant factory where everything is made.

• If the Chinese treat their own countryside the way they treat that of other nations, I'm sure it's a very ugly place. They are the most prolific and egregious abusers of the environment around the globe.

• It's a very corrupt country but not as much as the US, if we count the amount of stolen money.

• As far as the landscape goes, I think of rice fields covering most of the land. Some huge cities with a lot of smog poising the air. And some land set aside for wild life like the panda.

I don't think the Chinese government is doing enough to help their own people. China is often seen as a place where the citizens are little more than slaves. The gap between the rich and the poor is at an unacceptable level in China.

As far as our view on the typical Chinese citizen, we mostly see them as being poor, uneducated, hard working, and with little hope of improving their situation, as they work in sweat shops, making cheap crap for us to buy.