Do girls not like being called "You look old"?

So I was kind of flirting with this lady. I found out we lived in the same area and I tried to guess her age and said "You look old for your age". and she said that's awful!, when I meant it as a compliment.

I mean I'm an honest person, I'm not gonna lie about the things I see.

She said "FYI, in the future don't call girls old", and kind of smirked at me. I can't read her facial expression, if she's interested or not, but yah maybe I blew it haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• lol noooooo never tell a woman that she looks older than she actually is. It's like telling her "you look fat in that dress."

In almost all cultures, youth is considered attractive. Look at what a lot of women are willing to go through to look younger. Botox, plastic surgery, creams, masks, what else I don't know. I don't understand how you can think that it's a compliment.

On the other hand, it's always flattering to hear that you look young. I'm 25, but I don't mind being asked to show my ID when I'm buying booze =) I bought a chocolate moose once and was asked to show my ID lol I took that as a compliment.

She probably just think you're a bit clueless in a cute kind of way.

What Girls Said 8

• of course not lol

no one would like to be told they look old for their age, we all want to look young and beautiful

the except of course being for younger teens who want to look older, sophisticated and like theyre legal age for clubs and alcohol lol

to be fair you didn't blow it if she smirked at you, she was playfully reprimanding you on the back handed compliment you gave her

• The only people who probably like that are young between 12-18. I think adding the thought of maturity is usually only flattering at a younger age.

If you go by an average young girls attemp to look older, older women can start trying to keep their youthfulness, that when the complements become getting asked for ID.

• how was that honest. no one asked your opinion.

so this is interesting.do you mean to say if a woman said you look old for your age youd take it as a compliment?

what is complimentary about it?

idk any girls or guys who would take that asa compliment unless they are twelve and look 18.

• Honesty doesn't have to be associated with opinions. Maybe you mistook my word for being honest? Okay I'm frank, blunt and straightforward, does that make sense on why I said she looked old for her age lol?

• no. you told me you meant it asa compliment. so I asked you how is it youd feel someone saying you look old for your age, to be a compliment.

you keep ignoring my question by saying you're being honest. I'm not asking why you told the truth.

im asking why you would feel flattered if someone said you look old for your age.and/ or if you wouldn't feel flattered, why would you assume someone else would?

• I think I would feel flattered.

• Lmao what, how was that meant as a compliment? If you had said the opposite like "You look young for your age" then yes, probably would have gotten a different result. If she was younger, I guess it would have kind of made sense, if she looks like she can be jail-bate but stillllllllll that's horrible dude lol

• You sure did

• It depends on how old she is, as to whether or not it's flattering. A 16 year old girl might be flattered if you tell her she looks 20. If this chick isn't a teenager, you have to be a complete moron to ever think that would be a "compliment". Like, duh.

• Lots of women hate hearing that but I wouldn't care.

I always tell guys I'm 107 or older (I guess I have a strange sense of humor?). XD I always get the best reactions from them. One guy said "You look it." and we laughed.

• never do that

What Guys Said 3

• You may not have meant anything harm with what you said, but understand that most girls treat their physical appearance with priority and high value; talking about their appearance can easily become a delicate topic. Much like when a girl talks about a guy's masculinity. In this society, you just don't do it...

Telling a girl she acts MATURE for her age is probably the best approach regarding age, second only to "you look young for your age."

It's good to be honest and truthful, but not to a degree that we completely disregard the other person's feelings. They'll know you're being honest and that you don't mean any harm, but might not feel comfortable being around someone that points out "flaws"--- and I put that in quotes because flaws can made out of anything, even if they don't seem like flaws to you.

• People in general, especially women, want to look young. Old people are not considered attractive except for some guys who prefer older women, but they are typically for other reasons like their maturity.

I cashier on the side part time and it makes a woman's day if I ask her for her ID for alcohol while men(rarely) get offended screaming the "I can fire a gun" argument. Youth in women is attractive so telling a woman (even indirectly) that she is old is like telling her she is unattractive.

• lmao, even I know never to call a woman old or fat.

If I ever touch on age, I always tell an older woman that she must have been a teen when such-and-such song came out...they always take it as a compliment because if they can do the math I'm indirectly telling them they look younger than they are. And yes it's a lie but I can pull it off :)