Where do you see trends and styles going in the future?

In this last century, style has improved dramatically, and it's also become more and more acceptable to show a bit more skin. How do you see styles panning out for the future? Do you think it will continue to be more and more acceptable to show more and more skin? At what point do you think it will stop if you think so? How do you think clothes will look 50 years from now?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd be glad I was old in 50 years. At this rate, girls will be walking around with buzz cuts and hypershorts displaying one of two extremes, legs that are either too fat or too skinny. Hopefully the boy cut trend dies real soon.

Speaking of fat, someone is going to make a pretty penny by designing clothing specifically tailored to fit an obese body.

As for the majority, I envision value clothing reigning supreme as the gap between wealthy and poor widens. If you've seen what a family with lower socioeconomic status typically wears, that's what the majority will be wearing.

• Was that a reference to Miley Cyrus? I hate it too lol.

What Girls Said 2

• That's crazy to think about.

I think that modesty will always be in style. Showing skin won't stop, but it might progress like seeing girls wear more crop tops. Or just swimsuit tops to school ;)

Ha , in 50 years I see a lot of checkered print.

• Yeah in a progressive society such as ours, it seems that less and less is deemed "progression" lol. Do you think the definition of modesty will change a bit though, as to what it is to most people?

• i think it will take more of a turn into a wacky or more embellished couture

What Guys Said 3

• Interesting question... To me, style has been directly related to culture, economy, beliefs, and the current events surrounding that culture. I think it could go in a number of different ways. I think if anything, globalization will continue to westernize the 3rd world in terms of both style and culture. As far as the U.S. goes, that is pretty hard to guess. if the economy drastically improves, I see maybe more of an 80's trend happening - a return to excess and flamboyance -- the virtual rebirth of the yuppie. If not, we may see a revitalization of the early 90's grunge, which I kind of liked.

• Yes I agree with that to an extent. Style differs from one socioeconomic class to the next quite a bit. So you think that if the U.S. economy improves, we will see a much more expressive society or am I not reading into that correctly?

• Sort of ... I think the U.S. has been increasingly expressive since the early 20th century. I guess my statement was more of how that expression would be portrayed (flaunting dollars with expensive clothes vs. more sullen and earthy)

• Style has improved dramatically?

The average person is overweight and can hardly walk a flight of stairs but waddles from their SUV to their couch wearing athletic wear like they're about to run 10 miles.

• Hopefully styles will get more conservative without looking dorky, the styles are far too liberal right now, leave something to the imagination people.