Are men and women desensitized to average looking people?

Are people over stimulated by the people in movies

Do people have to high of expectations

Thoughts

Most Helpful Girl

• Kinda, but a good personality makes a massive difference. I know it sounds cliche, but there has been so many times where a mate has shown a picture of a guy or girl who I consider average, and they think are absolute babes, and then once I meet that person it's like "okay, I get it." Personality can make someone 100x more attractive.

What Girls Said 7

• Everyone at some point in their lives has had a celeb crush, Of course I like attractive men, but what I really want is an average man that I can love for who he is and a guy who doesn't have other women constantly traipsing after him. I despise guys who look good and know they look good and use it to manipulate people. Personality is foremost, looks fade but personality stays forever.

• No. We just want someone we're attracted to!

If you look at 90% of couples the girl is usually a lot hotter than the guy. Shouldn't we be complaining that guys only want super hot girls?

• No. Its impossible for men to all be dating women hotter than them otherwise all the hottest men would be single, since their equivalent women would be dating ugly men. Unless of course you realize that a significantly smaller proportion of the male population is considered hot, because women are the ones with high standards for looks, not men.

• That's because the girl is wearing make-up! Unless the girl is much uglier than the guy, she is going with make-up on to look hotter than the guy.

• i don't know, I find that my ideal are sometimes considered average by others.

like my boyfriend for example.

• Maybe a little bit. Depends on what you define as average, because I've noticed that what was hot years ago, is now considered average. Our standards have certainly gone up.

• No. Average and even ugly people find mates somehow, so obviously not.

• i have high standards when it comes to beauty. I find a lot of average looking people ugly.

• We all want someone good looking, but sadly the majority of those are douches/b*tches so we end up going to the average looking people we're more compatible with emotionally.

What Guys Said 7

• I think we are. Average is just ...so... Common. We say that we want someone who we are attracted to but most of the time that person is better than us in every way. Looks, personality, finances, job etc. Honestly I believe that one of the biggest reasons why people are single is because they have stopped being attracted to their "equal" and when they end up with their "equal" they feel like they got the short straw when in reality they got at least the minimum they should be aiming for

• I think that people who sit at home and don't go out much and just use p*rn or look at people online end up with a distorted idea of average. Many of us know shy virgins who seem uninterested in any partner who isn't an 8+.

I think that people who actually get out and live in the real world, well, are attracted to attractive people, and open to finding average looking people desirable in the right context.

• Even fat women have loads of options so men are not in the slightest disensitised to average or even below average women. Here's an example of how many messages men and women got on online dating with various different pictures but the same profile link Notice how the average woman got more messages than all the men combined, no way are men desensitised to average women.

Women aren't desensitised to average looking men either, they never wanted them in the first place. In most mammal species the vast majority of the males do not mate, in nature this would be no different for humans. Women find the vast majority of men ugly. They only put up with them in previous generations because of religious beliefs about monogamy and their economic dependence on males.

• I guess in a way, yeah. A lot of people these days are shooting for the best they can get, and they often overlook other qualities. But I do see a lot of average guys with average girls. I've never really had problems with women myself as I'm fairly realistic in my expectations

• No. People have always been drawn to beauty and attractiveness. Evolution has a whole lot bigger role in people's tastes than movies.

• Definitely. I've noticed this quite a bit. Nobody wants average anymore, even if they're average themselves.

• Personally, I'm average, and I've been turned down by plenty of average girls and even below average girls, and every time it was because they were interested in someone else who was above average.

• QA - If you're approaching random girls then the ONLY thing they have to go on is your looks... If you want better success get to know them better.

• Most of the time these were girls that I already knew, not random approaches, though those haven't gone well either. These girls that I knew were always more interested in better looking friends of mine or my better looking older brother. One was a co-worker, and though she was below average herself, she chose her above-average ex over me, even though he had cheated on her and got the other girl pregnant. Another girl chose an above-average guy with anger and drinking issues over me.

• Women are the ones who are only attracted to perfect looks but they are willing to compromise for rich

• oh COME ON :/ -_-

• It's pretty true. Most times a not very good looking guy is in a relationship he ends up paying for everything because if not no women would even tolerate him