How can I improve my posture?

I have never had really great posture but I have tried to do my best when I am walking. Now I have noticed how bad my posture is while I am sitting, someone yesturday asked if my back hurts from sitting this way and I looked in the mirror and I look like a turtle lol. So two part question, 1st what are some ways to improve your posture? 2nd I want to know what girls opinions are on guys with bad posture because I doubt it looks very appealing to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sit on half of the front part of the seat, with your feet under the seat, and your knees point slightly downward, it forces you to sit straight.

Put your screen up higher.

Push you back all the way to the back of the chair and keep you back flat on it.

Walk around imagining that your head is being pulled up by something.

What Girls Said 6

• It's mostly just something you have to be conscious about. Sitting or walking with a good posture isn't exactly difficult but it's just something you have to remember to do before you get used to doing it.

Poor posture isn't exactly appealing but again it's not too difficult to correct, and it also depends on the setting... if he knows how to have good posture in more formal settings and such then that's always good.

• Thank you, I am usualy not very conscious about it when I am sitting.

• Yeah, I was never very conscious about it for a long time, until in band class in middle school one day our teacher told us that some of us were really slouching and not sitting properly... back then it was an issue of how our posture affected our playing, but it made me realize that I never thought about how I sit. Now when I'm with company I try to remind myself to keep good posture.

• Oh man, you should have seen how my father always lecturing me how to sit and stand like a lady. I would practice sitting using a stool or sometimes those crates and I would sit by the wall and line my back straight and the same goes for standing up straight, I stand by the wall and would challenge myself how long I can stand, lol believe I think it paid off since i prefer standing than sitting

• Walk straight sit straight, find a good chiropractor, find shoes with good arche support

• piano lessons maybe?

• My ex had bad posture. It just looks bad and unattractive and kept him from reaching his full height

• try to balance a book on your head.

What Guys Said 8

• Get a hard rubber ball, a racquetball is the best. Stand with your back to the wall. Put the ball between your back and the ball, and hold the ball against the wall while you go into a knee bend, while you so into a squat position, and while you move your arms against the wall, flat against the wall, in all directions, as far as they will go.

Do this twice daily without fail.

Secondly, do overall strengthening exercises for the core muscles that hold your back in the right position. These are your abs, soleus, as well as your back muscles themselves.

Thirdly, get a chair that's ergonomically designed to use for any long periods of sitting and studing , reading or doing anything with the computer. Never slouch on a couch or in a soft sofa for long periods, looking at the TV. Always sit in a good ergonomically designed chair for any long term sitting.

• Tai chi chuan helped me improve my posture: link

Part of good posture of simply being in the right posture. It sounds silly. The teacher will put you in the right posture for each movement to begin with.

As you gain more sensitivity to what your body is telling you, you'll start having a feel for what is right, because your body moves most efficiently when everything is lined up correctly. If you learn it as a martial art, with the right posture, and a good teacher, you can generate monumental power.

• Well last year we had to do this thing called bracing, shoulders back, back arched backwards, chin going through your throat, the idea is that afterward when you relax your shoulders are naturally going to be up and back, back will be straight and chin will be high I'll try and find a picture for you, couldn't find any of how it really is (as the way we do it is "illegal" now considered hazing but this is somewhat close) link

• Im actually quite adept at this. I've already helped 2 people at my gym who needed help with kyphotic builds.

First off I'd recommend 3-4 exercises. Dislocators (look it up) behind the back rises while lying on chest (with 5 sec count down and up) and bent backward on some sort of support (I use the preacher) with arms extended back. Stretches should be held at least 30 seconds.

You can also press light weight in a standing position behind the back touching back of neck than rise. Set arms at a 90 degree grip. Do around 20 reps for 2 sets.

Its actually not that hard to fix. It will take a month to two months (depending on severity or if you actually have kyphosis)

Aside from corrective exercise and stretch stand and rest upright at all times. When sitting brace shoulders back and sit upright. Corrective pull exercises like inverted rows can also help. I don't know nor can I asses your posture without seeing you in person now. These are basic things I would suggest.

• Lift weights to improve your posture. Watch some YouTube videos on proper form. Once you've established a regular workout for about 8 weeks and you'll be shocked to see how much better your posture is while resting. If you're not looking to bulk up, just do a high number of repetitions of a relatively low weight. You'll still reap the benefits in posture, and it does wonders for your mood and general health.

• "do a high number of repetitions of a relatively low weight" I have actually done that for years. When ever I try to lift heavy weighs I end up pulling a muscle.

• There is a branch of physiotherapy called 'oefentherapie Mensendieck' here in Holland. It's not so popular outside of this country. But I think it should be, because it teaches people to teach themselves how to have good posture.

A patient comes to the practice and gets told what a good posture is and how to achieve it, but ONLY by words. This way the patient has to find out by him/herself how to gain this posture without the help of someone pushing and pulling his/her 'body' into the correct position.

In other words, you have to be very conscious about your posture and keep correcting YOURSELF until it's second nature and you don't have to think about it.

Use the help of a mirror to see when you keep your back + neck straight. This requires constant effort, especially if you aren't used to it.

As other people said, lifting weights and so on strenghen your muscles to help maintain a good posture, but it will not fix your posture magically. You have to do that yourself.

• Planks are a good exercise for posture...

link

WebMD.com has an article on exercises to improve posture...

link

• just reading this made me sit up straight.. lol

im gonna try a chiropractor