Why do people attack other peoples looks online?

I don't understand what the point is of calling someone online(like on here) ugly or talking negative about their appearance as a way of dealing with high levels of butthurt.

Isn't it kinda low to attack appearances? Granted, statements like "there are ugly and good looking people" on here are true, as it's the same in real life. Though what's perceived as attractive varies.

I mean, I've of course had it happen to me, which I expect. But to see it from such a "bright" community lulz

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it's lame. I've seen anonymous male posters criticize another guy's picture out of the blue. It wasn't a discussion about appearance or anything, totally irrelevant. Chances are that guy is ugly and wants someone to get a taste of what he (thinks he) experiences.

If someone criticizes a member of the opposite sex on this site, chances are the "victim" said something that angered them, they can't provide a counter-argument, and so they attack the person's appearance in desperation. Maybe the girl said a certain penis size wouldn't satisfy her, so a guy feels insulted and decides to hit her where she might be insecure.

And then there's some cases where the person is immature and wants to just insult people randomly.

What Guys Said 26

• Hmm if people are brave enough to post how they look to strangers they shouldn't be criticized for it. There are many people on here who probably wouldn't even dare to post themselves like that. I think like most things online there are no consequences for people's actions. That coupled with insecurity is a mixture for disaster.

• I've seen people attack others for all sorts of things that have nothing to do with whatever provoked the attack. The attacks often get totally random. Attacking appearance is often a more effective way to hurt a stranger than other attacks. If a person lashes out at another as stupid, the other is not likely to take the attack seriously. However, if the target is insecure about his/her appearance, and so many people are, an attack on that is more likely to cause hurt.

• I haven't seen anything like that that I can remember.

I usually just see people going around on this saying saying that they themselves are ugly and can't get a date.

• Can't say I have seen much of that?

Only if someone asks about it, then you see all kind of answers. It wouldn't be very useful if every single answer was "You're beautiful."

• Jealousy and their own insecurities. Anytime someone makes a negative comment about ones' appearance, it's usually those reasons. That's why you need to have thick skin and not let things bother you if you go online. Plus, being 'anonymous' behind a computer screen makes people say things they wouldn't say in person.

• This has been bothering me for awhile. Do the words peace and couture mean anything to you?

• Why exactly?

• There was a user here with those words in her name, and she was quite a frequent poster, like yourself, and some of the ways you wrtie remind me of the ways she wrote. You know, questions and answers. She deleted her account (presumably, I didn't really realize it until I noticed her lack of answers) but now, based on the conclusive evidence I've collected, I believe you and her to be one of the same. *adjusts glasses and puts away calculator* If not, well then at least I know for sure.

• You asked the same qn I always want to ask :) I also felt both are same person

• They know you are hot. Girls have esteem issues and emotions. I would say sir I don't a ***** what you think leave me alone! I happens to me everyday all my life ! I'm not a girl this is what I do. I also get really violent looks from all kinds of guys when they see me especially when I'm with a hot girls or girls. I even have has guys get violent with me ready to fight when walking up to girls. I DRAW LOTS OF LOOKS AL THE TIME! wRONG QUESTION TO ASK! It's life! Ask gag what to do as a reaction. Not why. Tell everyone people reactions find your way to react. Not Why... ; /

• i would want a polite accurate answer about my appearance. also as I came to realize there is no one ugly or beautiful it is just how you put your make up and how you dress (that is about photos you'd be amazed how my looks changed just after hiring a professional photographer and stylist). as in real life body language and voice tone is a great factor too.

• Sadness within their own lives.

• I agree it happens to me from these people on the street all the time...

• youll notice that those that attack usually don't have their own pics up, so they are cowards.

but uh, the reason people are mean or rude in general is the "online disinhibition effect", which is that when there's no consequences, ppls morals go right out the window. socrates talked about it in anciennnt greece.

I will link you the literature if you want..

• Because they're a**holes and insulting people on the internet makes them feel better about themselves without the risk of getting their ass kicked.

• I don't know. We all have the right to say what we want and feel how we feel . Yes people shouldn't attack appearances but also remember there's always a Good or bad consequence to what we say in life either people are going to respond positively or negatively to it and that's that .

• If you don't like someone, making a quick pass at their physical appearance is often the next natural step. It's just done in an attempt to find an insecurity in the person and make them feel bad about it.

• The anonymity of the internet breeds a**holes because they can let their anger escalate and explode on people without fear of meaningful repercussion.

• 2 words

jealousy and anonymity.

Also, even the puniest kitten can feel like a lion online behind his/her computer.

• The only reason I attack a person's looks online is if they did it to another person... or they really are that ugly

• insecurity. The attacker hates him/herself more than anything, so they take it out on the rest of the world to make themselves feel better

• I haven't seen that on here, but yeah that's pretty wrong.

• Simply because they were directly/indirectly emotionally harmed by you and wish to inflict it back.

It is also done because you may serve as representation of those who directly/indirectly harmed them in the past.

• are you happy with how you look? :)

answers mine? x

• IMO, it's just what social media does to people in general. People that are used to doing such things online don't notice the impact it has on the individual as they would if they did it in person, see the hurtful reaction, then learn how to behave better. Empathy is pretty rare these days.

• it is just a kind of humainterain character that must of the young poeple habitualized to do. as someone expects to see or wiling to see pretty one that is it and also to get funny people

• because they are ignorant and have no confidence in themselves so they tear down others as a way to make them feel better about their lot in life

• It's called bullying they do it to make them feel better about themselves

• perhaps in order to satify their egos

• It. Is. Fun.

What Girls Said 3

• Because people are stupid and this type of bullying is ridiculous. Attacking someone online is more hurtful than the attacker would think. I can understand a quarril over a difference of opinoin where the disucssion is informed arguments but when people start attacking each other online, that's not right. and the things that people can come up with when they do thi, some of the things they say is quite sick really.

I have a feeling that people do this simply because they're bored and enjoy the tears they cause in other people. I think that people who commit suicide due to online bullying or bullying in general, it should be classed as manslaughter.

• They're insecure so attacking other people and hurting makes them feel better weird logic but then us human are a complicated specie

• I would use ugly to describe one personality if he or she has done too much bad things which are beyond description. Other than that ugly shouldn't be used to describe a person looks , it hurts as I had been through it myself in real life. I still find it hard to believe how 'ugly' one can be. yes it is very low act. Those who do that perhaps see themselves as better looking and think it is funny...