How much hair is normal for a female to lose daily?

I feel like I lose maybe 50 strands a day. I may put my hands through my hair and a few will be there. I find I lose the most in the shower when I'm shampooing and conditioning my hair and when I'm straightening my hair.

Is this amount normal?

Now, I don't think I have the best habit as I do wash my hair daily with shampoo and conditioner. I also straighten my hair which I should try not to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• it depends - how much do you touch your hair during the day? if you're constantly messing with it, I'd say that's pretty normal. My sister does it all the time and leaves hairballs everywhere aha

if you want to cut down the hair loss, try washing your hair every second day - it might seem a little greasy at first but honestly your hair will get used to it really quickly and adapt!

everyone says you shouldn't straighten you hair everyday, but some of us have unruly, uncooperative, Lion King style manes of hair and it just needs it. I straighten mine every day if I'm going outside, but try using a heat protection spray which are pretty cheap.

Source: I write articles for an online haircare website Black Box Beauty :)

What Guys Said 1

• Straightening your hair with an iron works to destroy the protein that makes up your hair. It becomes more brittle and breaks off easier, which might be what you're seeing. Losing strands from the root is totally normal, however. We all lose 100 strands a day, and this number can be higher if your hair strand is heavier (such as when you have long hair).

What Girls Said 3

• I think I lose more than that. But I don't brush my hair daily and I don't wash it daily either. So the days I do wash it I think I can roll a ball of hair of 3 inch diameter.

I don't freak out about it because its something that has always happened. I do know a girl that started losing more hair than normal and had a little bald spot on her head. The doctor said that it was due to stress.

So just make sure you know what's normal for you and what isn't.

• I read somewhere that it's common to lose hundreds of hair strands on a daily basis. Pinterest maybe?

• about a hundred strands a day is normal