Women with Asperger's, are people accepting of your diagnosis?

My specialist thinks I have a degree of Asperger's Syndrome and if I'm honest it worries me that I don't fit the public perception, i.e; someone in eccentric dress who excels at maths, doesn't smile very much and likes trainspotting. As an artistic woman who enjoys theatre and fashion and can't add up to save her life I feel people will probably just laugh at the idea. I struggle enormously with obsessions, black and white thinking, inability to prioritise, making friends, the vast majority of food textures and colors and the day someone catches me flapping my arms around will be very embarrassing. :( These are generally things that people don't see and I can be a fairly convincing social mimic. Are there any other women out there struggling with their identity as an aspie?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a friend who has Asperger's. She does come off as a little odd and standoffish. But she still has friends, a boyfriend, and even a two year old daughter. She's pretty functional as an adult. People aren't paying as much attention to your quirks as you think they are. And people who know you're autistic will be fairly understanding. I don't judge my friend for her autism. Anything I find out of the ordinary about her, I just kind of shrug off. As does her family, friends, and her boyfriend.

• That's lovely, I hope I can lead a life like your friend's.

What Guys Said 4

• Why does it worry you that you don't fit the public perception? Do you really want to stereotyped? Do you want to be perceived as a robotic, socially awkward nerd incapable of empathy and any kind of meaningful relationship? Public perceptions are often harsh, simple-minded and judgemental. Isn't a good thing if people see you as an individual rather than a label?

• Yes, I see what you mean about it being a good thing. The trouble I see is that people won't understand what they can't see happening and will have much less patience for me. I've been misunderstood and taken for a horrible person because I give the outward impression of being functional and knowing exactly what I'm doing. : /

• Its far less often diagnosed in women (autism in general) unless its severe.

Do you need people to 'accept your diagnosis'?

You learn what you can from the resources that are available, you get ideas from others.

• You don't seem so bad too me .Except arm flapping Might look a little strange or it might not .

• Haha, yes. That was the point of asking really, because you can't tell just by looking at me or reading what I write.

• I am a guy with aspergers, luckily for women with aspergers, they won't struggle like a guy will because girls do not have to initiate anything, so being socially inept is much worse if you are a guy

What Girls Said 2

• If you're worried about how the public will think of you. Don't tell people that don't matter to you.

• How would the public find out if you don't tell them? You can let close friends know but I don't see how random people will know you have aspergers unless you tell them.