Should I wear a vest?

I want to start wearing a casual vest. Not a sweater vest, but a vest kind of like one you would get with a three piece suit, but as a stand alone piece. The vest would be black, grey, or tan, and either pinstriped or a solid color. I would wear it with a button up shirt underneath, a tie, blue jeans, dark brown shoes and a dark brown belt or black jeans, a tie, konyak (darker tan) shoes, and a konyak belt. I wouldn't wear a tie every time I'd wear a vest. If it helps I'm 6ft 2in, dark brown hair, blue eyes, and quite muscular. Is this OK for high school? How about college? How about the real world? Any suggestions on something I could do would be appreciated.

Most Helpful Girl

• People in my college wear that stuff all the time, I didn't see it too much in high-school but it wouldn't be a bad thing either! But overall it sounds like a good outfit! Wear what makes you happy and rock it! Doesn't matter if you look overdressed at all. Be confident in what you wear! I do all the time!

Fashion Major approved!

What Girls Said 4

• no sweetie that just sounds as if you're trying too much. Don't try vest with tie as well. It's hideous and unappealing. Black vest with white shirt and a bow tie which can be a solid color of anything but I do recommend black to be quite honest. Also I would suggest you match this with black jeans if you ever think of the outfit but try to stay casual within college or school because it's just not worth dressing every once in a while like that for nothing. Girls like guys more when they usually are in skinny jeans or something (not that skinny just boyfriend skinny jeans) and plain or graphic t-shirts. White v-necks or black v-necks are also plain, simple and casual but if you're toned they'd look so good on you!

• No, James Bond should ALWAYS wear a suit. =)

Now seriously, I think depending on the occasion, vests can be pretty nice. Maybe in a semiformal party, but only the vest, not tie and vest. Otherwise don't be surprised if people start handing their empty glasses to you. A dark vest for more class, a tan vest for a more casual and old-fashioned look. I personally think vests look good, especially if you have nice arms. =) Wear a shirt that's not too loose so girls can still see the muscles underneath =) (but also not too tight!)

• Vests can be worn very well and appropriately. When I was younger, I nurtured a sizable fixation for waistcoats (even though I never owned one myself). If I ever come across one that suits me, I would definitely purchase it... even if it was intended men, hah.

Carry on, I say!

• vests are hot. link

What Guys Said 3

• Try corduroy. Smart and not showing off. In dark blue, grey or dark green.

AVOID pinstripes. You're not a pimp.

• I'd guess some people would consider it affected, others cool.

The college I went to it would have been extremely out of place. Ymmv.

The color you're trying to spell is 'cognac' by the way. As per the category of French brandy.

• Vests are in style where I live! Everyone in Detroit is wearing these: link